Orlando's defense is much different than D'Onofrio's

Dude, what NFL caliber replacements did the teams that beat us have? How many did Tulane and Tulsa send? Did they have a hard time beating us with their “replacements”? No!

Then you proceed to bring up stats again. Did you miss the entire premise of the article (again)? It’s not about stats, it’s about a flaw in his system. A system that gave us our averages( stats), congrats, but yielded poor results in the win column. I wonder if Fresno State took advantage of our soft coverage that was ran ALL YEAR?

They did. Stop with the stats.They’re irrelevant.

Bend don’t break defenses work sometimes, so expect to only win sometimes.

1 Like

EECOOG69

Its not as simple as that. Im commenting on why CMD played CBs off.
Playing corners off and pressuring are separate subjects. You can do both.
Did UH pressure? Yes. Did it always get there? No.
You can also play press and pressure. Its risk and reward.
If CMD had both Wilsons or Jackson III and played same way, Id totally agree with you.
I know nothing about Iowa St corners, so can’t comment. I know nothing about their edge rushers and how good they are.
As I mention above, I prefer aggressive but think I understand why DC did what he did.

Lets look at the other side. our game vs ECU…they were worst defense in country in numerous categories, including passing yards, scoring defense, yards per play.

How did they play us? Very aggressively from a coverage standpoint. And how did that work out? UH had 2 one play scoring drives and another 2 play drive. We hit a slant for 70 yards when ECU played Cover 0…no safeties.

I guess their DC philosophy was that his D was so bad he would just take his chances because they would get scorched either way? idk. didn’t watch their other games but results were just as bad so i assume they played that way all year.

A lot of your defense success depends on how your players play.
UCF probably played their best defense game vs Auburn. They had 6 sacks…21 in previous 12 games. And it wasn’t because of a crazy pressure scheme…their DL balled out.
Same defense was terrible the previous 2 games vs USF and Memphis giving up 90 plus points. #18 played a crazy game and couldn’t be blocked.

You mention that Iowa St shut down Memphis. Ok.
Memphis also lit up UCF in AAC champ game. UCF shut them down in regular season as well.
Why didn’t UCF have same results both times? Because play calls and player performance were different.

1 Like

again you are changing the conversation. If you want to have a conversation about why UH lost to Tulane and Tulsa, that includes offense, defense and special teams. As does each game. Includes turnovers etc.

When you have no answer…you change the topic. Everytime…its old.

I said we had a drop off at CB…I didn’t say our opponents had NFL WRs…again you deflect…apply for a job in the White House

Stats are irrelevant…ok. Points scored and Allowed are irrelevant?
Maybe game results should be determined by an opinion poll and all stats and points should be ignored.

Tell me what defense works everytime?

If aggressive defenses work every time, why isnt CTO undefeated as a DC? Checkmate. Done with you.

3 Likes

Read the title of the post then come back to Earth. The OP suggested our defense looked different and he talks about scheme, then you immediately start talking about STATS!!! lol

When I suggest that bend don’t break defenses work rarely, that is in regards to wins. I’ve played football and been around enough coaches to know, there isn’t a perfect defense. Nice strawman argument though bro.

Answer me this, If it’s 1st and 10 and the ball is on the goal line, the Coogs are on defense and the 4 corners are 10 yards off of the ball what can the opposing OC expect? Given the fact that CMD has had his CBs back pedal when the ball is snapped (all season), what should the opposing OC audible to? Should he have the X,Y, or Z run a 5 yard in, slant or comeback? When the ball is snapped all of those options are open (clean releases). That’s the problem with CMD. It’s not his stats, it’s the opponents glaring ability to pick and chose how they want to attack our secondary. Before the ball is snapped, stats…do…not…matter…Why is that so hard to understand?

1 Like

It’s quite entertaining watching someone with FB knowledge school someone who has no clue what he’s talking about. Carry on!

1 Like

Sunshine pumpers agreeing with other sunshine pumpers equates to football knowledge? lol Lemmings are a microcosm to this entire ordeal.

1 Like

You’re beyond the point of understanding common sense. Manster has repeatedly proved he is not sunshine pumping.

6 Likes

he should have been our HC in the first place.

Assume you are talking about Manster…

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what it is. Bro, the dude is breaking down film, providing stats, hell he’s damn near giving you a structured analysis of the theory of relativity to back up his stance and you’re not doing anything to refute his claims or reinforce yours. If this was a presidential debate you got rolled before it even started. Has nothing to do with pumping sunshine, but everything to do with being capable of analyzing a multi-faceted, complex problem without using a sophomoric approach.

4 Likes

By continually going to the same flawed basis? His approach is similar to CMD!

Right, it’s my responsibility to abandon my stance and agree with his (which is irrelevant to the premise of OP’s) just because he provides screen shots and arbitrary stats? Tell me, what does stats have to do with scheme? They can be obtained(averages) utilizing a different approach (scheme), but does looking at a stat sheet tell you (schematically) strength and weaknesses of ones defense? No, when coaches gameplan, they don’t look at the stat sheets; they turn on film and assesses weaknesses, not inflated stat-lines. That’s what ya’ll are doing. So, yes, beyond me saying, hey, those stats are all fine and dandy, but look at this, you guys are sunshine pumping. CMD has a system that has a blatant flaw in regards to situational football, and ya’ll want to use stats and screens shots from old teams to support your argument? That’s like bringing a caveman’s club to a gun fight in 2018. You’re heavily over-matched! lol

The blatant flaw in CMDs scheme is the talent he had at LB and corner and a serious drop from say, 2015…Being more aggressive without the skill set talent to back it up is asking for problems …What you should be concerned about is whether we have upgraded that talent to make us better next year…

3 Likes

I understand the drop off in talent, the problem that we “have” that I refuse to believe is a linebacker that can’t blitz. That’s the main difference between CMD and CTO. Orlando brought pressure from all angles, from the nickle, dime, and prototypical linebacker positions. CTO wouldn’t press every play, but he would walk the corners up, blitz the nickle over the slot, the outside backer, drop the SS into man coverage and make the QB make a quick decision. CMD does not do that, he plays a lot of cover 3, rushes 4 (sometimes) and has a lot of cushion on the outside. Teams all year when they’ve ran bunches (with 3 wide outs) have had a field day with his defense. Matt Adams has to cover the slot ,but to make matters worse he’s in zone… The slot can run any route on him bc CMD will never give help from the safety. He wants his safeties to run deep zones and help corners who already have 10 yard cushions. It’s a mess. The stat sheet doesn’t say that. The stat sheet doesn’t say how teams are moving the ball against us. Like I said before the bowl game, he needs to fix it.

2 Likes

What I understand is that a soft zone defense begs to be taken advantage of. I also know that not moving Ed Oliver around in the line to various attack positions limits his effectiveness. Also telegraphing blitzes is a big mistake.

3 Likes