OT: Alex Smith, Washington's NFL team

I just watched a documentary on ESPN’s “This is the Best of Sportscenter” about the leg injury Alex Smith suffered against the Texans on Nov. 18, 2018. It was mind boggling to put it mildly. I knew he broke his leg; but I didn’t know how many breaks and shatters there were. Most of all, I didn’t know it got infected and he nearly lost his life , not just his leg.

After seven days and several operations, the doctors told his family, “We are now now in the life saving and leg saving mode – in that order.” It had photos of how they had to remove so much muscle and skin from anle to knee. What he went thru was more like a combat injury than a football injury. The rehab was amazing.

What is really amazing is that he was taken off the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list today. I don’t know if he will actually play again, make the active roster, or just retire. Were I in his position, I would go for the retire option. With his personality and experience, I’m sure he would do well in the broadcast booth, should he want to go that route. One thing for sure, he has gone way up in my book.

2 Likes

Incredible story what Alex Smith had to endure to make it back on the playing field.

It wasn’t long ago when the Washington Football Team was in 1st place in the NFC East when he got severely injured against the Houston Texans.

I’m rooting for Alex Smith, he is a role model to other athletes to never give up on doing what you love no matter the consequences!

Good luck Alex! Go Washington!

3 Likes

ESPN has a video of his family giving him a champagne shower when he got cleared to practice. The video shows him wearing a sleeve over the leg and it is not straight. It has a S shape to it. He also kind of walks with a limp. Nothing on the video made me think he should take another snap in the NFL and risk any further injuries.

1 Like

I saw the limp, makes you wonder did he really pass the team physical.

He makes a hefty salary in the NFL, but coming back from that gruesome injury, makes you think he should walk away from the game and maybe become a QB coach to stay close to the game.

I’m still rooting for Alex Smith no matter what happens here on out. Just to be walking again is a miracle!!!

2 Likes

Congrats Alex Smith on your first victory back from injury in over two years!

1 Like

Wow! Alex Smith beat the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day in Dallas!

3 Likes

Alex Smith’s story is remarkable. It was nice watching him lead Washington to a win over Dallas. His recovery, heck, his survival, and his return to playing NFL football is amazing.

7 Likes

A lock for future 30/30 type documentaries. Incredible and inspiring story

1 Like

Congrats Alex Smith on beating the undefeated Pittsburgh Steelers last night.

His comeback story keeps getting better and better!

Some of the grossest pictures i have ever seen. Amazing that could happen in hospital. Just remember anytime you ger work done, complications can arise. Amazing comeback