OT: Another 4 star commits to Jackson State

The SWC was considered a “power” conference in its/Dickerson’s heydey.

2 Likes

Eric Dickerson played for SMU which was SWC. Big 10, PAC 8, and SWC were the top 3 conferences in the country.

Neither did anyone who played at any of the P5 schools before the P5 distinction.

1 Like

So this is where we ended up, we have someone defending “Separate but Equal”. Naturally based on nothing, but still JFC monkeyballs.

1 Like

If someone were a social justice advocate, I would think that they would hope to see a program like Jackson State unseat Alabama as the perennial college football National Champion.

I want to see our Coogs unseat Bama lol.

3 Likes

Uh,wait now…Was there such a thing as a P5 when Dickerson played???

So basically, by this logic, major league baseball should have never integrated and Jackie Robinson, Willie Mays, Barry Bonds, Reggie Jackson etc. should have all stayed in the negroe leagues…(sigh)… I’m starting to get a headache with this stuff. I get what your point is but this is 2021. I just don’t see how segregating players would help social justice issues. If anything, I personally think it would make them worse.
Like, what are we talking about here?

1 Like

I think this is a silly conversation.

But I’d add that I don’t think thebottoms is saying what you think he’s saying.

I think he’s saying that had separate but equal been followed, there would still be separation. And by “followed,” I mean truly equal spending was provided for all.

I don’t agree with that. And I don’t think he’s arguing that it should have. I think he’s just throwing out a hypothetical for the sake of conversation.

But sometimes I’m wrong.

Pony Excess… the best team money could buy! I remember as a kid (early 80s) SMU played their home games in Texas Stadium.

OK, that makes sense. So, it’s moreso, equal funding would have kept them relevant on the football landscape, allowing those standout players to continue attending HBCU’s and it’s not so much about race. Which is exactly the issue that UH faces with UT/P5. That makes sense. I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes

You don’t lose a Elmer Redd to be a career assistant as he moves to his alma mater and keeps coaching and have access to the same talent that UH, everyone else siphoned off.

Eric Dickerson’s dad went to PV or has ties to the school.

Elvin Hayes ain’t coming to Houston cause Grambling can legitimately put the full court press on him.

The disparity is still in place with this P5 nonsense

Good for Neon. Looks like he can recruit. Now we’ll see if he can coach. I hope so, and I think he can. He’s on a mission. Also, he can get some money raised for facilities. This is a terrific thing. Absolutely no downside.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/videos/jsu-and-alcorn-state-football-getting-more-national-tv-coverage/vi-BB1gSUTI?ocid=uxbndlbing

I mean…that argument has definitely been made, both then and now, and it’s probably not without merit. I recall some old NBA player during the last lockout – I think Bill Russell? – making the argument that the NBA is ultimately a white-owned league at the top, and that players should start their own, Black-owned league. It was controversial, but not indefensible, especially coming from a player that lived through the Civil Rights era.

Oh boy…

1 Like