OT: Astros fire AJ Hinch and Jeff

As a Raiders fan I am four-square behind cheating, but only if it includes threatening and mockery of the victims.

3 Likes

Stealing signs via human ability versus employing technology to steal signs are worlds apart.

You telling me that Hinch couldn’t have marched into Crane’s and said, “Look bro
”

Adios cheaters. Washed my hands of the Cheatros forever.

They got caught, but I can’t wash my hands of them, been fan for 50+ years, same as Coogs. Coogs got popped for cheating before as well
sucks for all involved
but this too shall pass

1 Like

Oh dear Lord! I don’t care how much band width your technology is based on. If you’re banging on a trash can lid to communicate the signs then your system isn’t gonna be that effective. Lol

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone disputes that ‘cheating’ has a long and revered history in the game of baseball. The thing is that there was a memo that went out warning teams that electronic-aided sign-stealing FROM THAT POINT FORWARD would be dealt with harshly. Hinch, who I have really liked since he got to Houston, knew what was going on after that warning. He chose to pretty much ignore it. He could have (and should have) gotten up on a chair in the clubhouse and said ‘this ends today.’ Or he could have quietly told Cora/Beltran to end it.

Either through arrogance or fear he let it continue. I have no sympathy for him. Or Luhnow, who either knew or isn’t as smart as he liked to act.

If it’s proven that other teams continued to use these types of tactics after the ‘cease and desist’ memo came out and they are not punished in a similar manner, then Astros fans can be outraged.

2 Likes

It would be proven if MLB actually investigated all of the leads it has right now, but I doubt they’ll do that. It’s a lead pipe cinch that it was happening across the league.

2 Likes

Are a Dallas or out of town Coog who is a rangers fan though? Or were you actually an Astros fan? ( I agree about their punishment being just)

I just think saying they used high tech to cheat with a trash can lid is like saying they cheated in a Formula 1 race using a dirty diaper.

3 Likes

What? LOL C’mon, you know what the deal was.

Long range video camera shots and monitors were what got them busted.

What do y’all think about these “buzzer” rumors? True or not?

Still
the supposed “data” was relayed via trash can lid. Lol

What happens if 10 years from now MLB adopts a uniform video analysis or on field communication device, like qb helmets in the NFL? Like Kelvin Sampson, they would be severely punished for something that later becomes fully legal. Then how do we feel? This is plausible, and this is why I also call this sanctimonious.

1 Like

I too think everyone is doing a variation of this. I understand it was stupid but on which pitcher did it work
?

Do we consider probation to be a serious punishment? Similar to Sampson, the Astros are in hot water for breaking more rules after getting a slap on the wrist.

Well, CKS wasn’t allowed to coach in college for 5 years, which seems steep in retrospect with rule changes. The Astros got targeted over others because they won a championship while doing things that (this is important) other teams were getting slapped on the wrist for. The fact that a memo was required, which addressed the issue as a common practice, indicated that the Astros were singled out to make an example because they were the high profile example available.

It’s unfairness in service of a larger fairness, but there are countless examples of rules changing to accommodate reality, rather than the opposite. No matter how much Manfred may want it, MLB is not a dictatorship of a do-gooder, it is a club of rich guys exhibiting their toys for the entertainment of millions of customers, and that is what will drive reality.

1 Like

How about Clayton Kershaw, Kenta Maeda and Brandon Morrow for starters?

Lol
a trash can lid.

As CommishBob pointed out, the Commissioner of Baseball specifically warned against this and warned that the penalties would be steep.

Your hypothetical is kind of ridiculous. At one time, there was no forward pass in football. Should we go back and change all the records of teams that were penalized for throwing forward or deprived of the opportunity? Rules change all the time. Violating one now under the idea that it could be changed later, and that makes it alright, is silly.

1 Like