OT: Astros fire AJ Hinch and Jeff

Read the report if you wish. They came down hard on the culture of the Operations side of the Team and how it was being run-- Luhnow side of things.

True, he was demoted so Jr could move up…granted it’s Mr Cranes team and he can do as he wishes

“The Astros have just moved up on the list of teams that the rest of MLB fanbases are going to love to hate.”
———————————
They hated the Astros long before any “cheating” accusations have taken place! Once the Astros beat their teams on a regular basis the Astros have been blacklisted as a hated team! Much like the Patriots!

And for what? For doing the exact same thing other teams considered smart? Basically, the Astros got punished for being innovative and forward thinking!

Much like the Filipinos were when they introduced spiking to the game of volleyball! All the westerners were accusing them of cheating when they spiked the ball in competitions until people opened their minds to the dynamic of this one act to the game!

Why, if the Yankees got caught doing this everybody would have praised them for being revolutionary and ahead of their time! And the same bashers of the Astros would have said, “Now you know why they won 27 championships and why they are head and shoulders above the crowd and why they are the envy of every team!

But when the Astros did it —— it’s cheating! Especially when they got beat by a team they used to laugh at! It’s just an excuse teams use to justify their thrashing by the Stros!

1 Like

I am a big time Astros fan…but the GM and coach have not accepted responsibility. They got caught red handed. Come out with an apology statement and accept responsibility not something like I did not participate and I am not a cheater. A leader accepts responsibility and says something I will learn and play a clean game. So I am really disappointed in both their statements and yes I am sorry to see them go because they turned this team around to a championship one.

1 Like

I thought Hinch’s statement was ok. He said he failed. Luhnow on the other hand…

1 Like

Dude, no one is endorsing cheating. I just hate to lose the best manager the Stros have ever had and a really nice guy. I didn’t say his firing wasn’t justified. Crane had to because in 2017, he told Lunow and Hinch that if that was going on to stop it – and they didn’t. They lost his trust.

But, I still like the guy. Hinch is a really nice guy.

“Of a coach getting fired in Houston today, AJ was not on my list.”

My exact sentiment! That distinction should go to Bill O’Braindead!

2 Likes

Look the other way on juiced balls and juiced players. Hammer the crap out of sign stealing. Well done MLB.

2 Likes

I feel we get that from UT and ATM fans all the time! Just the hate will be professional. I have heard other fan bases that hate James Harden and the Rockets for how James play.

The appropriate punishment is a forced sale of the franchise. Ownership should be punished.

1 Like

Yankees did do it, in 2017, and the league sent out a memo saying if anyone else is caught they are going to come down hard on them.
That’s us.

1 Like

Yet all their fans hound us on Astros twitter for cheating. Your team did it too.

Man, it feels good not to be on Twitter. I don’t want to know what that world is like!

2 Likes

I’m not on twitter either but anytime I look at the Astros twitter there are always posts by salty Yankee fans.

1 Like

And SMU, TT, & TCU.

1 Like

Yes, the only home game they lost was game 4 of the World Series, and Alex Wood is on record as saying that he went to a lot of trouble with his catcher, Grandal, to mix up the signs in a way that they could not be decoded, so to speak.

I believe there must be a ton of evidence against the Astros, including e-mails, player interviews and the huge disparities in home and away batting statistics. For example, here are some home/away batting averages from the 2017 playoffs: Altuve: .427/.143 Correa .371/.211 Bregman .273/.154
McCann .300/.037 Gattis .300/.200. The OPS differences, of course, are similar.

There would probably some suspensions going out to players, but then you would get the players union involved, and MLB is afraid of getting into that.

It will be interesting to see how hard they come down on Alex Cora, being as he was apparently the ringleader here, and then took it up a notch after becoming the manager at Boston.

That is my biggest issue with this.

MLB decided to make this a big deal because the Astros did it.

Yankees and Red Sox were fined in 2017 for sign stealing.

Suddenly its a big deal?

its not that i am ok with cheating but i question whether it can be considered cheating if everyone is doing it. In other words, is it part of the game. Something you have to develop a strategy for?

3 Likes

I think using electronics is over the line. Equal to the steroid era. The Astros definitely deserve punishment to clean up the league but I just hope that the other teams who did it as well receive the same.

2 Likes

MLB teams have cheated since the beginning of the game. Doing hand signal to your pitcher that everyone can see with decent binoculars is an invitation to cheat. It is not right. I am all with you on it.
Want to stop hand signal cheating?
Stop having the catcher sending hand signals and let the pitcher figure it out. Let see how the game will change for the better. Drastic? Sure but that could be pretty awesome to see.

1 Like

The sanctimony is unbelievable. There has been cheating in baseball since the beginning of baseball. Bobby Thompson’s shot heard round the world was the result of sign stealing. Gaylord Perry is in the hall of fame and he admitted to using the spitter his entire career. Fairness in baseball? Yeah like there has ever been fairness in baseball, yeah I am looking at you Yankees.

5 Likes