OT: Baylor Scandal(s)

Art Briles asks court to remove him from lawsuit against Baylor

https://twitter.com/jennydialcreech/status/750763931942023168
https://twitter.com/jennydialcreech/status/750771385954279425
https://twitter.com/jennydialcreech/status/750771617576300544
https://twitter.com/jennydialcreech/status/750771784102719488

Editorial: If you care about Baylor, tell regents to release written details in sexual assault scandal
http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/20160706-editorial-if-you-care-about-baylor-tell-regents-to-release-written-details-in-sexual-assault-scandal.ece

This may only be the beginning of Baylor’s self-inflicted death penalty
From firings to transfers to signees bailing out, Baylor is now learning how it dug its own grave not only off but on the field, too

You know, Baylor going back to being … Baylor.

1 Like

Why the Big 12 is pressing Baylor for info from its sexual assault investigation
The Big 12 is still trying to figure out what happened at Baylor in greater detail

The Big 12 told Baylor it needs to satisfy the conference’s presidents that the school has made the necessary structural changes to avoid another major scandal. Some Big 12 presidents are concerned Baylor’s governance problems may go all the way up to a minority number of its board members, but they believe interim president David Garland wants to clean up the university and is receptive to the Big 12’s help, according to sources.

Jim Grobe tries to stay positive as Baylor’s recruiting falls apart
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Jim-Grobe-tries-to-stay-positive-as-Baylors-recruiting-falls-apart

Baylor signed 22 players in February, a top-20 class that was the school’s highest-ranked ever. But that’s been cut in half to 11 following the changes. There’s also only one committed player left in the 2017 class, with Baylor’s uncertain future. Grobe estimates there are 70 players on the roster, when accounting for lost recruits, medical hardships and transfers, such as backup sophomore QB Jarrett Stidham on Thursday.

Baylor Has Figured Out How To Bury Its Scandal

It remains a stunning display of arrogance, of cynicism, of self-preservation, and of downright evil. Baylor’s conscious decision to not produce a report on its failure to handle multiple sexual assault cases was made with one goal in mind: to protect Baylor. It is not possible to remind yourself too often of just how horrifically fucked up this is.

A bunch of articles after Bowlsby’s comments regarding Baylor sullying the reputation of the Big 12:

If the Big 12 ultimately decided this situation, on the heels of the cesspool Dave Bliss created for Baylor basketball in 2003, was too much scandal in too short a time to justify continued membership in the league, it would be understandable. For most people, a Big 12 without the Bears wouldn’t be much different than a Big 12 with them.

Bob Bowlsby: Some feel Baylor has ‘sullied’ Big 12’s image

“We will have an opportunity to pose any questions that we want to ask and it’s an ongoing process,” Bowlsby said. “It isn’t going to be completed (at Tuesday’s meeting), but I think that we will take a big step down the path and I think we will also have the opportunity to get a little more information about where the rules violations, if there are any, might intersect at the Big 12 level and also at the NCAA level. Baylor voluntarily met with the NCAA fractions staff early in this process.”

Kevin Haskin: Baylor scandal dominates discussion at Big 12 media days
Hip term for league membership, ‘conference composition’ takes on additional meaning

With that, “conference composition” takes on a whole new meaning.

One the commissioner was not fully prepared to define as another media days took a turn sideways for the Big 12.

Baylor’s relationship with the Big 12 is strained, potentially beyond repair
Baylor has put the Big 12 in a tough spot and now the Big 12 may respond punitively

In one brief, not-so-shining moment, David Garland may have summed up the Baylor state of mind at the moment.

“What are you going to do to us?” the university’s interim president asked Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby.

Bowlsby passed by Garland without saying a word following the introduction of new athletic director Mack Rhoades on Monday. There could not have been a colder shoulder.

“It’s a long shot,” Bowlsby said of Baylor’s expulsion from the league, “but it’s not an impossibility.”

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/07/18/baylor-scandal-big-12-media-days-bob-bowlsby

Bowlsby also talked at length about the Big 12 investigating Baylor and how he was committed to making sure no NCAA or Big 12 rules were broken. He described the Big 12’s image as “sullied” by the Baylor scandal. And then he acknowledged the Big 12 has no legal standing to punish Baylor. So short of kicking the Bears out of the conference entirely, what can the Big 12 do to one of its recent football powers? Again, no answers. As to why the Big 12 is even investigating Baylor—besides the fact that it makes them look big and important and like they’re taking this issue seriously—well, he didn’t have an answer for that either.

Bob Bowlsby botches Big 12 address with Baylor talk
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/bob-bowlsby-big-12-media-days-baylor-jim-grobe-sexual-assault/1aqa06nz0p5xq14ldw26bhib2a

For a conference that has all those other competitive issues still at the forefront, the Baylor talk didn’t help the Big 12’s image at all. Bowlsby chose odd words to address the conference championship (“13th data point”) and the potential for expansion (“conference composition”). He also trumped the round-robin conference schedule, which might have offered a hint that expansion is not at the forefront right now.

https://twitter.com/kbohls/status/755385795784028160

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/755410534694920193

Jim Grobe: Baylor’s issues are ‘probably problems’ at every other school

Acting Baylor coach Jim Grobe clarified his remarks on Baylor’s culture in an afternoon session with reporters at Big 12 media days Tuesday. Here’s what he said in the afternoon, via USA Today.

“I have to talk about what I’ve found since I’ve been at Baylor, not what happened before I got there because obviously there was a problem in the culture dealing with these issues. That’s why we don’t have a president, an (athletics director) and a football coach and some staff members that were released,” Grobe said. “The only thing I can talk about is to let you know that since I’ve been at Baylor, the kids that are on our football team are really, really good kids. That’s what I’ve seen.
“When you talk about a culture, you kind of throw everybody under a blanket. I can only talk about what I’ve seen with our team since I’ve gotten here. We have a lot of quality, quality kids and I think we’ve got some moms and dads that are upset because when you start talking about a culture, that tends to say everybody.”

Jim Grobe: No ‘culture of bad behavior’ at Baylor

Striking an unexpectedly defiant tone in his first appearance at Big 12 media days, interim Baylor football coach Jim Grobe said Tuesday he did not need to modify the culture of a program he inherited after a sexual assault scandal that cost his predecessor his job.

Guerin Emig: If Baylor is going to get better, adults must start acting the part

“One person I did talk to was Chris Johnson,” Reid said in reference to the quarterback/receiver who bolted Baylor for Houston after coach Art Briles was fired. “I told him, ‘Man, you know how to play football. It doesn’t matter who the head coach is. Y’know? You’ve been playing football your whole life. Keep playing football. Don’t let something like that change you as a player.’
“I don’t know what happened. I guess that wasn’t good enough. But I love Chris Johnson to death.”

It’s not that anyone was anticipating Baylor might get the boot. (Though a straight-up swap with the AAC for, say, Houston would solve two problems.)

Big 12 presidents take the easy way out on Baylor
Conference board quickly turned the page to issue of expansion
New coach Grobe’s morning talk to the media was embarrassingly insensitive
Big 12 seemed to handle the Baylor scandal like a private family matter

Dean Wormer couldn’t have said it better, in other words. Baylor is on double, not-so-secret probation. It had better not embarrass the Big 12 again.

Jim Grobe says there’s no ‘culture of bad behavior’ at Baylor

Grobe denied a culture of bad behavior despite the fact that his employment is proof of the culture of bad behavior at Baylor University. He wouldn’t have the job he does otherwise.

New Baylor coach Jim Grobe expands on his controversial comments
Jim Grobe caused an uproar after saying there’s no ‘culture of bad behavior’ at Baylor. We caught up with him to hear more.

“The thing I wanted people to know is that since I’ve been there, the kids that I’ve worked with are a great group of kids,” Grobe told FOX Sports. "There is no culture that I’ve witnessed for misconduct. If you’re talking about culture that existed before I got there, where we didn’t deal with serious issues the way we should, probably so, but I was not here for that. I don’t mean to be disrespectful of anybody who has been violated, of anybody who has been a victim. What I do want for people to understand is the misbehavior of a few has hurt a lot of (people).

Former Baylor DE Oakman indicted in sexual assault case

Former Baylor University defensive end Shawn Oakman, a one-time NFL hopeful who went undrafted after he was arrested a few weeks before the draft, was indicted on a sexual assault charge Wednesday.
A McLennan County grand jury indicted the 24-year-old third-team All-American on one count of sexually assaulting a Baylor graduate student in an alleged incident at his James Avenue residence April 3.

Tom Osborne ‘puzzled’ by Jim Grobe’s comments on 2007 Husker coaching search

“I interviewed Jim Grobe and I think he’s a good coach, but I never offered him the job and there were no stipulations on assistants,” Osborne said.

Why did Grobe think there were?

“I have no idea,” Osborne said.

Jerome Solomon:

Memo to Baylor brass: Think, then speak
Misdeeds that jolted a university aren’t so easily dismissed
- Chronicle Subscription link
- Google Search link

Um, yes and no. Yes to the problem of sexual assault’s indeed being an issue on college campuses. No to the point that every administration in the land is utterly clueless in how to deal with the issue, particularly when incidents involve football players.

Baylor’s Rebuild Is Off To A Shaky Start
THE UNIVERSITY’S FIRST MAJOR HIRES SINCE CLEANING HOUSE IN MAY DON’T EXACTLY INSPIRE CONFIDENCE THAT THINGS ARE CHANGING FOR THE BETTER.

When head football coach Art Briles, athletic director Ian McCaw, and university president Ken Starr all disappeared from Baylor in the wake of a sexual assault scandal, the sweeping changes brought the hope of a controlled burn. By cleansing Baylor of the detritus of massive institutional failures when it came to handling allegations of sexual assault, then perhaps the university could build from the ashes a new and improved Baylor. But Baylor’s first two major hires, football coach Jim Grobe and athletic director Mack Rhoades, cast serious doubt on whether Baylor is making any progress.

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/756834388260814848

2011 rape added to Title IX lawsuit against Baylor, Briles, McCaw

A former Baylor University student and her attorneys filed an amendment this week to a federal Title IX lawsuit, adding a reference to a 2011 gang rape of another woman by university football players and adding findings of a Pepper Hamilton LLP investigation into Baylor’s failures in handling sexual assault reports.

Grobe’s eight-month, $1.25 million salary ranks as the third lowest in the Big 12, ahead of only the salaries of Iowa State’s Matt Campbell and Kansas’ David Beaty.

Listen up, Baylor: Penn State’s James Franklin explains the adversity still to come
The Nittany Lions’ coach is still trying to dig Penn State out of NCAA sanctions, and if you ask him, Baylor’s got its own long road ahead

Baylor is at the beginning stages with the fallout of its sexual assault scandal.
“The Baylor that they have known for the last 50 years or even the Baylor they have known for the last 10 years, that Baylor is going to be different and is never going to be the same again,” Franklin said. “There’s going to be policies, there are going to be procedures. There’s going to be people in place for everything.”

BIG 12 RIVALS TALK BAYLOR
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/191615856/baylor-scandal-big-12-media-days-art-briles

“I don’t know how they can move forward with a staff that, there’s no question, was either as involved or more involved than coach Briles was in any of the issues going on there,” a Big 12 coach said. “It’ll be a very interesting dynamic for sure there. Coaches know. Your position coach deals with a player more than anybody. We know the conversations that go on and other stuff that goes on. If he’s being removed for said reason, it’s hard to see everybody else staying there.”

Another coach echoed that sentiment, questioning how a head coach could do or know something that an assistant did not know about or wasn’t also complicit in doing.

That’s been my thinking from the start. There had to be numerous people who knew about all this and chose to keep quiet. I’m convinced that if and when the full report is ever released that plenty of heads will roll.

OTOH I’m halfway convinced that Baylor will be able to foot drag this into the next decade.