OT: Memphis Might Fire Tubby Smith for Penny Hardaway? (Update: Tubby out, Penny hired)

If they are convinced the game has passed Tubby by and he’s not going to get the job done, that’s fine. But you don’t fire a guy with nearly 600 wins in his second year after back to back 19 win seasons to hire a former player with zero coaching experience.

4 Likes

Tubby will have a job in a few days. Young enough to put together a nice long run somewhere.

In the AAC. If I’m ECU or USF.
I hope Memphis makes that move.

Hathaway is the head coach at East High School in Memphis in addition to his AAU team. He has two ESPN 60 players on East, one Jr and one Sr and another top 60 one the AAU team.

Didn’t realize he was a head coach for a high level high school program. That’s something but zero experience in the pros and especially college is a major concern.

Our last coach had four top 100 guys on the same team and couldn’t make the NIT. Our current roster doesn’t have a single one. I wouldn’t get too seduced by Penny just because he can land a few big fish. Isn’t that exactly what they got frustrated with during the Pastner era (who had substantially more experience than Penny)?

I just wonder if Penny can coach an entire season without getting hurt.

9 Likes

Sorry, had to.

I actually liked Penny when he was playing. Extremely talented and it hurt watching him succumb to injuries.

4 Likes

If Iverson coached, how many practices would he miss?

2 Likes

Wish it would have been more of a concern when we hired Drexler.

2 Likes

Why don’t they keep Tubby and make Penny an assistant coach. Then they have a real, top notch, head coach, plus a hot name with some great talent on tap. Best of both worlds.

Well that goes back to us trying to force Alvin Brooks down his throat over 20 years ago. I’m sure the way Tubby sees it, his job is performance based so he should have complete autonomy on who he has on his staff. Besides that, none of us know if Penny every showed interest in being an assistant under Tubby anyway.

1 Like

I wouldn’t force it, but suggesting it to Tubby would be worth it, especially if he actually likes any of those three recruits.

People really forget that Calipari cleared out their awesome recruiting class (that featured J Wall, D Cousins just to name a few) and Pastner did not inherit much in year one. There are many fair criticisms of Pastner, but Cal left the cupboard shockingly bare.

Tubby should’ve let the Lawsons walk before year 1. He could’ve had a true “year zero” in that first year on campus like CKS did here.

Memphis has too much going for it in terms of fan support and resources to accept this level of play. We didn’t accept it when James Dickey was here, and had far worse facilities/fan support than Memphis does currently. So why should they?

The thing that killed Pastner was the move to the AAC.

Didn’t the Lawson’s leave before Tubby was hired?

Memphis fans want another coach to cheat them back to the top. They are unwilling to wait for Smith to build up the program the right way.

4 Likes

No, the Lawsons played last season and transferred out afterwards along with Markel Crawford.

Probably about the same as Clyde did…

I can understand a hate for Memphis but sometimes it comes off as jealousy when we are in a much better position to remain top 25 then they are and still wishing they screw up. I hope Tubby can get Memphis back to a top 40 program for selfish reasons. The more top 40 programs we have in our conference, the better our conference gets. The better our conference gets, the better our recruiting gets and the more revenue we get.

2 Likes

something no one has added to the equation, penny coaches a high school and aau team…between both there are currently 6 all america including the #1 player of 2019…and that is “as is” those 6 were just the ones on last years team, they are likely to add more to fill their current aau roster

not even adding the top available recruit in Tennessee for 2018 seems to vocally support the move on twitter, and Wichita’s top recruit is extremely close to penny and might ask out of his LOI

i know most here are against it, but if they add larry brown as an assistant (who will handle the x’s and o’s) this might be an amazing move for them

It was already mentioned by two others.

Of course…that “move” would mostly likely be to the NCAA jailhouse.

Larry does that to college teams. It is his MO.

2 Likes