OT: No longer browsing CoogFans during class

hahahaha!!! You are now and official member of CoogFans!

Welcome to the order! Cheers!

3 Likes

There was a time that you wouldnā€™t get weird stares for looking at those ads.

We are going to heck in a handbasket.

3 Likes

The laptop did it? Cā€™mon, man, own up!

1 Like

I make sure to click on that add about 8 ttimes a day to help support our sponsors. Trying to do my part.

3 Likes

Legitimate mistake. Had just eaten a sandwich from Einsteinā€™s under PGH. Went to class, opened up and decided to check out coogfans. Given that it is a rental, the trackpad was a little sensitive. Was wondering what picture had popped up until I realized what had gone on.

There was no mention of the ad not intriguing me and my classmates though. Hopefully they show the next few coog games.

2 Likes

saw a guy break down in tears when his card deck hit the floor.

3 Likes

Slide rules and #2 pencils were the day . . . . .

3 Likes

Count your blessings; when I was going to school, we had no computers at all - heck, we did not even have adding machines. Try doing ANY accounting course when you have to do ALL calculations in your head! THAT is the way it was when I was taking every accounting course offered by the University of Houston.

3 Likes

But Iā€™m sure even doing math in your head you still got pop up ads. :laughing: The more thing change, the more they stay the same.

3 Likes

No worries man. I have an MSI gaming latptop that I canā€™t figure out how to disable the pad so if I hover a thumb over it for too long it takes over. VERY annoying!

Yup. Used to walk 15 miles a day, all uphill and through wind-driven snow, to get to class. :wink:

1 Like

I took a class in a room with tiered levels, a guy in the first or 2nd row had something inappropriate on his laptop and everyone in the back row could see it and wondered wtf. This was maybe 8 or 9 years ago. Today someone might complain to the dean.

1 Like

EightysixEE posted
FORTRAN and punch cardsā€¦those were the days

My first semester freshman was September 1971. I believe I purchased my first handheld calculator in September of 1972 for like $99. I majored in accounting but would go to engineering to use their punch card machines. Not as crowded as business school.

Found this on web:
When the Cal-Tech calculator was completed, TI felt they still lacked the experience to sell consumer products.4 In 1969, they decided to form a joint venture with Canon Inc. in Japan to market the calculator. One of the Cal-Tech prototypes was sent to Canon for their engineers to examine.
In April 1971, Canon and TI introduced the first calculator on the market known as the Pocketronic. The Pocketronic was a copy in concept of the Cal-Tech calculator, except it used MOS circuitry (manufactured by Texas Instruments) instead of bipolar circuitry. The display mechanism was still under development, so the Canon calculator also used thermal printing.
By 1972, five million pocket calculators had been sold in the United States. In April of 1972, TI announced its own calculator, the TI-2500 Datamath, with an 8-digit LED display. They sold the calculator for a price of $149.99. By January 1976, itā€™s estimated that more than 100 million handheld calculators were in use worldwide.

4 Likes

And the dad gum thing used like 8 AA batteries and burn through them pretty quickly. I bought mine at Finger Furniture. Had to carry it in a belt holster because it weighed too much for a pocket. The $149.00 Was a lot of money in '72. The equivalent price today would be $917.00.

1 Like

Dude in my Kinkaid High School class of 76 had won the Houston Science Fair back to back (75-76). Sophomore year he tore apart a TI handheld, with the film strip reader, patented a new design, and sold it to IBM for $150Kā€¦
Bill went to MIT, ended up there with a PhD in Astrophysics. Lifer at Jet Propulsion Labā€¦has spent his career there.

I was happy as hell to get my A- in our AP Advanced Biology class with this guy being one of the 8 of us in there :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s tough. Especially when nearing the deadline for the assignment. I remember having card decks +4 inches high. Debugging your program meant pulling out the bad cards (i.e., lines of code), and replacing with newly punched cards. Operators ran your card deck thru the reader and hopefully ā€œturnaroundā€ (when your printed output was ready) was not too bad. Spent many a late night at both the engineering and computer science deptsā€¦ah the memories.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s amazingā€¦ some people are just savantā€™s and see things the average joe canā€™t see.

2 Likes

Ok boomerzā€¦

j/k Iā€™m sorta from that timeframe. co95

3 Likes

We still spend the night looking at code. We had a project (as a team of 15) due as a final so we spent the whole night before that working on it. We were jumping for joy when it worked.

Thank goodness for no punch cards. Assembly language still sucks

2 Likes

I recall paying $59.00 for a Datamath in 1973. Our apartment rent in Spring Branch was $145, so this was a major purchase. I was a night student and may own the record for dropping QMS 1 and 2 looking for a forgiving teacher. Finally passed both with a D, which was a big relief:nerd_face:

1 Like