Our Final Four and Recruiting Edge?

Reaching the Final Four is huge! With all the media exposure, one would think this accomplishment would result in a nice recruiting edge. But…do you think our less than stellar game against Baylor could erase some of that buzz?

1 Like

Not gunna lie that’s one of the first things they crossed my mind.

I doubt our less-than-stellar performance would have any bearing on our recruiting going forward. Baylor was very clearly the better team Saturday night, but I sincerely doubt all great recruits out there are going to want to go to Baylor or Gonzaga (or UCLA for that matter) simply based on one game in the Final Four. CKS will continue finding great recruits that fit our style.

4 Likes

No. There are only 4 teams in the final four, we were one of those four.

3 Likes

I don’t think our game hurt. Baylor has been beating teams by double digits all yr long. I think they beat Gonzaga tonight. Getting to a final 4 is very tough and it proves it can be done here “again”. I’d rather what happened then lose in the sweet 16 or elite 8 then they would say we can’t get there.

It’s all good what did. Baylor is like Alabama in football this yr.

2 Likes

the final 4 is final 4, no one remembers the details outside of die hards after like a month

7 Likes

It ain’t the steak. Its the sizzle. Only four teams played in April.

2 Likes

Recruits care less about one game and more about the direction of the program and exposure. When you can show recruits a recent final 4 & sweet 16 the details don’t matter.

Hang the banner, baby!!!

The key is publicity and coaching continuity.

3 Likes

We’re the best in our conference and made the Final Four. You want a chance to win a National Championship in a place with awesome facilities? The University of Houston is that place! But don’t expect that you will be coddled and pampered like kings with paper crowns on Cullen Boulevard. We work for a living in the 3rd Ward. You will be tested to the very extents of your athletic ability and mental will! If you don’t want that, go somewhere else!

3 Likes

All the loss to Baylor proved was that UH plays excellent defense, but needs more scorers. It’s hard to win a NC with only one or two scorers. The deeper you get in the tournament, the greater the ability of the competition.

Baylor had five players in double figures and they played good defense. We have to get our recruiting to that offensive level. Defense alone won’t cut it when you get to the Final Four.

3 Likes

Sometimes offensive talent evolves in your players. Someone like Shead could develop into a whirlwind. Chaney could develop points in the off-season. White might get some instruction and start filling it up.

We don’t have to have the best three shooters in the portal. Just two or three really good ones I think.

2 Likes

As long as Houston Cougars keep getting PT in the NBA then our recruiting will keep getting better.

1 Like

This would have been our 3rd straight sweet 16+? We’re not a flash in the pan program anymore.

4 Likes

I saw some ESPN app prognosticators saying that UCLA will be ranked to start the season and one guy saying that UH felt like a “Others receiving votes”. I had to laugh. Are they going to say that Sampson has to replace too much…again? That was the story the last few seasons and it is getting a little too predictable / old.

3 Likes

To be fair, we do have to replace a lot. I wouldn’t expect us to be ranked next season if the roster stays as is. Others Receiving Votes would be completely fair.

But, guess what? Our roster is nowhere near complete.

3 Likes

Would have loved to have seen us with Armoni , Cory and Hinton vs Baylor

2 Likes

My dream scenario would be for one or two players to return. I believe White will return, but the others may decide to move on.

Hard to blame anyone for leaving when you have the talent to play at the pro level and be paid handsomely to do so.

Bars…

3 Likes

For fun, I threw together this summary. I agree a lot is being lost but it seems like UH lost a lot with Gray and D Davis after '17-18 and 4 starters off that 2018-19 season. I believe UH has earned at least a Top 25 spot after this run:

2 Likes