P5 Football Programs in top 100 US cities

Yes, Baton Rogue is only about 250,000 in population and does not really compare to Houston.
How many on here can recall when the NFL was
a struggling league in a time where baseball and boxing were king.

This is just a list of the 100 most populated cities in the United States. I could have cut it off at 50 or 75 but this shows us all in the top 100
but yes
#1 and #100 are quite different.

Was Rutgers mentioned? They were grabbed simply for their market.

1 Like

Thank you for the post.
This is all about marketing and how we reach our audience.
What is being done to reach that audience?
How much door to door work is being done to reach that audience?
How much work is being done at the middle school and high school level to reach that audience?
How much emphasis are we trying to get U of H alums owned businesses to reach that audience?
Our possibilities are endless. I keep hearing that we have a low turnout.
What are you going to do about it?
This is what I want to hear/read. I am sick and tired of this laissez faire attitude that we can’t attract fans or that we need to win regularly. Sure we need to win. Here are the facts:
How many U of H alums live in the greater Houston area?
How many U of H alums owned business exists in the Houston area?
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ABOUT COMPLAINING. ENOUGH ALREADY!!!
We ask? we might get a yes. You get a no? You keep asking asking.
Our potential is huge. We need to take an attitude to never be satisfied. This is how we will get 40k screaming fans in the stands.
YOU DON’T ASK. YOU DON’T GET
Any questions?

1 Like

Yep.

Rutgers apparently does one of the largest fan bases in the NYC market and it gives all the OSU/Michigan/PSU in the NYC metro a fun game to go watch their team win every other year.

Isn’t Norman part of the OKC metropolitan area? It’s as far from OKC as Sugar Land is to Downtown Houston.

It gets definitionally tricky. 1927 was taking the strict city approach as opposed to doing it
via metropolitan areas. His cutoff was if 10 minutes away, it would be included. OKC and
Norman are 20 miles apart or 20 minutes away I guess. Leave it to ut-north to be a trouble
maker.

Yeah
after looking it got a little dicey but having attended the OU/UH game I wouldn’t say the University of Oklahoma is in the heart of Oklahoma City. Metro yes but I’m looking for schools in the city
obvious exceptions are Boston College, Northwestern, and Miami which aren’t technically IN the city but are still in the heart
if the UH campus was in West University Place, Texas 
I think we could claim that in the heart of Houston.

OU and Rutgers are not in the heart of OKC or NYC.

NYC has NYU and Columbia in the heart of NYC
but they are not P5 programs so they don’t count.

1 Like

Should have read more carefully!!!
I’ll delete my other posts.
K8viet thank admin !

I agree!

Some of the distances are about the same/closer but that opens up a can of worms.

Thanks for this by the way.

One other thing to mention about a p5 invite is that the competition will increase and although UH like Byu , Cincy, Memphis and UCF are the most capable we’d be competing against schools that we have no advantage over. In the AAC we are at the top of the pecking order and I think dana will show how good we can be longterm with him. So again, I’m a huge fan of us being p5 and won’t stop caring until we reach it but Rutgers and Maryland might have been better off competition wise in the AAC.I still want a pac12 etc invite this round.

Just throwing this out there
TCU is routinely competitive in the B12. I’m not sure what strategic advantage over UH they had prior to joining the B12 from the MWC, with the exception of well-heeled donors and continuity at coaching with Gary Patterson. I would argue that UH has the facilities and strong legacy to compete with the likes of a TCU (or an Okie Lite, Iowa State, or K-State for that matter), plus access to the Houston-area, SE Texas, and SW Louisiana HS recruits.

Tcu had vision and Gary Patterson who was good and stayed to build them up. We now have the same vision and Sampson. We just need for CDH to be good. I know the def will be good and hoping the offense gets going.

I agree with you regarding the vision thing. That’s when having a committed university president and competent AD come into play. Example: TCU’s AD was so effective (Chris Del Conte), UT poached him. I think we’re fortunate to have both here at UH with Dr. Khator as Prez and Chris Pezman as the AD.
And a coach like Kelvin Sampson, he’s a one-man PR machine that understands the importance of marketing the program.

1 Like

It’s simple. TCU is a private school. If Texas were to ever decide to leave the Big 12 (which I’m not betting on at the moment), it would easier to separate yourself from a private school than it would be from a public one.

TCU joined the MWC and we joined CUSA. In those 16 years that TCU was in a “G5” (not the term back then) conference they:

• won the MWC 7x
  • finished ranked 9x (as high as #2)
  • went 1-1 in BCS bowls
  • 10 win seasons 9x

They also probably agreed to be a UT lackey as well.

1 Like

Actually, TCU, SMU and Rice all went to the WAC. TCU eventually left the WAC for the MWC, and then for CUSA and then for the Big 12.

I’ll give them credit. They never stopped making strides towards their goal.

4 Likes

I didn’t live in Texas from 1989-2013 so no first-hand knowledge, but it seems UH football definitely endured some tough times following the break up of the SWC.

I think the choice to move into the brand new CUSA was not a bad choice at all.

We just didn’t perform in it. It was a decent football conference and a great basketball conference. We just sucked.

Had we been performing well when the Big East expanded, maybe we would have ended up there when Cinci, Louisville and S. Florida all went. And then maybe we would helped keep it together years later when raided by the ACC (or maybe that would have provided us with a softer landing somewhere).

4 Likes

They accepted an invite to the Big East but got the invite before they actually moved there from the Big XII.