Pac-12 commish suggesting College Football Playoff expansion be paused after SEC additions

One Power Five AD added: “Why on God’s green Earth would the Pac-12 and Big Ten hand over these [playoff] rights, which only strengthens the SEC?” I think the ACC may feel the same way. If they hold together and decline expansion that may leave the SEC “holding the bag here”?

This is all window dressing. The committee, governed primarily by the p5, will guarantee each p5 two playoff spots…leaving ND/BYU one and the gladiator winner of the g5 one.

Nothing’s gonna change for the g5.

The AAC may agree with that but the people running things won’t ask their opinion.

The other P5’s think that SEC is positioning itself to get 6 of the 12 slots, if the playoff are expanded.

It will pause until they see the check. Then they will be good with it.

3 Likes

SEC - 4
ACC - 2
B1G - 3/4
PAC - 1
ND - 1/-
G5 - 1

2 Likes

Lol…you left one out. Or maybe not.
Lol

Would be so funny if the committee told them they didn’t have access.

The more I think about, FoX should push the PAC for expansion and then maizimize their brand without overpaying by having Big10 and PAC12 playing in out of conference games. They would have the same buzz as bowl matchups.

So the PAC 12 is upset that the SEC will have more teams in an expanded playoffs???

Umm they have more teams in a reduced playoffs as well.

So do you want to make more money?

2 Likes

Tim Brando mentioned this in an interview because the ADs question Sankey negotiating for more seats at table knowing they were about to grab OU and UT. Brando also blasted AD’s and Commissioners acting collegial in public and doing stuff behind closed doors.

Fox to the PAC:

Hey, guys! How about adding 2 or 4 teams so we expand the footprint? We aren’t in a position right now to cover all of that, so each school will give up about $8 million per year. But think of the new recruiting areas! Money isn’t everything… :rofl:

3 Likes

You’re already recruiting Houston and doing a really good job. But help your brethren out so they can keep some of those recruits in town.

1 Like

Aggy let the cat out of the bag early (Texas and OU to SEC).

Maybe I am missing something here, but I am not sure why the Pac 12, the ACC or the Big Ten are that concerned about the expanded playoff format. Now that players can earn money above the table, wealthier east and west coast schools like USC, Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Oregon, Washington, OSU, Michigan, UVA and ND can simply outbid the schools in most SEC markets without blinking an eye. I mean lets not kid ourselves: USC has way more money and more importantly, access to more money, than Bama, Ole Miss, U-Tenn or LSU will ever have.

I think many of the AD’s have not caught on to the new reality of college sports and are viewing everything from the lens of what is going on inside the four walls of the college athletic department. The pie has been expanded exponentially and will only continue to grow, and the key for any team that wishes to compete going forward will be, “which team provides the player the best opportunity to earn money on NIL”.

Ask yourself, if you are a young male athlete who is looking to cash in, who would you rather hangout with during your school years, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Lebron James, Will Smith, Will Ferrell, Mark Zuckerberg, Tiger Woods, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Magic Johnson, or any other big time music/Hollywood/Venture Capital Mogul, all of whom have a connection to the Pac 12, or would you rather hang with some used car salesmen from Tuscaloosa or Athens? I get that SEC schools are going to make money (Big Ten too), but I don’t really see how these schools, outside of a few like UT (oil and tech money), OU (oil money), Arkansas and Mizzou (Walmart money) and Michigan (auto) are going to be able to compete. The Walmart angle is a stretch, as who knows who that money will go too. Stan Kroenke is a Missouri guy and is married to a Walmart heiress, but is rich in his own right. However, he has basically moved to West Coast due to his ownership in the Rams, so likely his money will follow.

1 Like