PAC-12 now skeptical of 12 team playoff

Can’t stress enough how different the coverage is of the Big 12 now vs the Big East when we joined. Night and day. I have honestly seen relatively little “Power 4” talk and a lot more suggestions that P5 status will be retained. That could change, but it would have to change above and beyond the perception hit of losing Texas and Oklahoma, which is already baked in.

4 Likes

Aren’t we part of the “Cartel” now that we are P5?
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

2 Likes

Exactly. I haven’t seen anyone outside Twitter trolls or Message Board users say there is a Power 4. Literally every single media outlet I’ve read/seen in regards to the Big 12 is talking about the jump for UH, Cinci, UCF to a power 5 conference

5 Likes

Skeptical or not, if the pile of money is sufficiently large, the CFP will expand. We know that in most years, only a handful of teams are good enough to win the NCAA hoops tournament, but 64+ teams are in it because of money.

PAC wants to get more money? A bigger CFP does that and the PAC doesn’t have to do jack to get it.

I think the the other 4 conferences do not want the SEC taking half the CFP spots.

1 Like

If the other conferences’ teams play better than the SEC teams, the SEC won’t put too many teams in the CFP.

If the SEC teams play better, they get more spots. Money screams, it doesn’t merely talk.

The ACC or Pac 12, Which of these Alliance conferences will give up their playoff spot for the just cause. None, the playoff will expand.

Will the expansion wait until current contract expires in 2025. That is the big question.

1 Like

That’s because no one outside Twitter or forums is saying that. To the rest of the world the Big 12 did a sane thing for once and made the best four additions available, and it will remain not only a Power 5 but will be right there with the ACC and Pac 12.

2 Likes

Who knows if the SEC teams are better. To reduce the argument, let say Alabama and Georgia are better than everyone else. To me, the rest of the SEC is subjective. They are assumed to be better than everyone else because they are an SEC team.

I buy the argument that SEC teams have crazy fanbases, but I do not buy the perception the SEC overall is better. They are living off their cowbell.

Every time an SEC team beats an SEC team, it proves how great the SEC team and conference are. When a Big 12 team loses to a Big 12 team, it proves how weak the team and conference are. The Big 12 has to schedule more conference games and P5 because their conference is weak. It’s okay for the SEC to schedule cupcakes because of how strong they are. And on and on.

More seriously, there’s a lot of guesswork involved. I do believe that the SEC is the superior conference, but that same mental model (teams from a less competitive conference will get in when they “earn” it through some unspecified criteria) that were used to keep the AAC out.

And the more you invite SEC teams, they better they become. So even if it wasn’t originally true that SEC #5 is better than Big 12 #2, it becomes true over time as recruits gravitate towards teams that make it to the playoffs.

1 Like

We are indeed. I am calling it what it is. I am just consistent.

1 Like

“Cartel Chris”, it has a nice ring to it.
:wink:

You’re confusing media propaganda and the the actual contractual infrastructure of the “autonomy conferences.”

P5 is media created.
“Autonomy 5” is a contractual obligation governed by bylaws.

The question you should probably be hearing is, “how can the B12 not be a p5 conference?”

Hopefully somebody has decided that 12 teams is stupid.

Go with 8 or 16. Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State and whoever number 2 SEC teams is don’t need a buy. That buy is just one more way to stack the deck.

2 Likes

8 teams: 5 P5 champions, 1 highest ranked G5, and 2 at large. The latter from P5 conferences (highest ranked that are not conference champions).

3 Likes

The four byes are reserved conference champs, so SEC #2 doesn’t make it.

I think 16 is too many, and while I am fine with eight I still want the G5 to have a representative and I don’t think that happens with 8. So that leaves us with 9 or 12.

Thank you for posting. The problem, huge problem is that they announced they will expand to 12 schools. Going back on their statement will bring fireworks.

Yeah, the only thing here that’s difficult to fix is “too many games” and to fix that they’d have to go back to eight which I think is difficult.

The too many games argument has always been (in my view) an excuse. How many players make an FBS DIV I squad? Rotating players has always been a taboo subject for many reasons. Playing more players is all about managing your squad and recruiting appropriately. This is where the Alabama of the world have an advantage over G5 schools.