PAPN discusses Houston to the PAC 12

Why would a P5 conference want to split the pie more ways? I used to think us getting picked up for a P5 conference was inevitable. If we are such a great addition, why aren’t we already in a P5? I’d love to be in the PAC or Big 12 or any of the P5 conferences. Not even choosy. But I don’t see it.

For now, I hope we get a bigger TV deal for the AAC so to at least keep our athletics department from going deeper into the hole at a time when state support for universities isn’t keeping up.

Well I think it is as simple as 1 + 1 = 2. I rather have $30 or $50M to go to P5 than to stay in AAC and get $10M.

If you had listened to the recording and read responses in this topic, you would understand why adding Houston to the PAC12 would be a win-win situation for the conference and UH. At this time there are too many crazy deals between schools/conferences and TV networks to do anything. In a few years all of these deals will start renewing with expansion being a key topic. UH wants to be in a conference that makes $30-50M so its athletic department can support itself.

Currently the PAC represents 6 states, California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Colorado, and Utah. Of those states only California is a major high school recruiting area. By adding Houston they will add a major state supported research university with a nationally recognized athletic program in the third largest state by population, the eighth largest media market, and a premier high school recruiting area. We will add value to the PACTV and their primary media contract. Just to sweeten the deal both UH and the City of Houston have strong ties to Asia. In addition, adding UH will strengthen the conference, give it a central time zone entry, and add value to both the tier one contract (which means a larger contract for the conference) and PACTV being able to get in state rates for the State of Texas.

This is not going to happen, just like the Big12 fiasco, is the Pope Catholic?

Yes I agree Tulane is a no go but I disagree with your statement that conferences do not select schools because of the city. The Big 10 only selected Rutgers because of its proximity to New York city. If Rutgers was located in Wyoming, the Big 10 wouldn’t have given Rutgers a second thought. They wouldn’t have thought about Rutgers at all.

Texas is the second largest state by population with quite a bit of distance between it and #3. We are 27.5 million and Florida is third with barely over 20 million.

With thanks I stand corrected.

I hate Boise’s blue turf…its literally unwatchable on a big screen TV. I’d love nothing more than for them to fade back to irrelevancy…unless they get rid of that eyesore.

One can only hope.

It’s pretty interesting that some of you are so adamant that we will not get an invite…and some of you are so adamant that we offer so much that we’re guaranteed an invite.

There is only one guarantee in the upcoming realignment scenario…we will end up in whatever conference the Media Overlords deem us to be in. Ultimately, we have very little control over our fate.

1 Like

Not sure there is enough money to cover the increase in travel expense. If UH make the Pac 12 championship game, how well would we attend? Do you forego that game to attend ny6 game if you felt sure your team would win?

How many times would you travel to California for football in one season, not to mention basketball?

I enjoy watching the team in person.

Well, you can still do that, regardless of which conference we are in; they always play about half the games at home!

4 Likes

My post pertains to travel ie. away games. What a waste of time! Glad you got a like …

He said Texas would go independent. I’ve been hearing this for a few years. It’s ridic for these reasons.

1. It makes scheduling for the non-revenue sports a headache.
  2. It messes with your football schedule in that you have to schedule 12 new opponents each year instead of the usual 3-4 non-conference games. BYU has to load up the front of their schedule with all of their best matchups because, from October onward, most schools are in the middle of their conference schedules.

And for anyone who thinks independence works for Notre Dame, just know that Notre Dame is not a true independent. Contractually, they have to play 5 ACC opponents per year as part of their agreement for their other sports to compete in the ACC.

1 Like

I agree with you on Texas. I think the only way they’d go independent is if they’re able to go to the ACC on a similar deal that Notre Dame has. Otherwise, they won’t go independent.

1 Like