Paying players one step closer

Oh my, y’all have no faith in our community and the dollar
Someone posted about the bigs, big schools like the usual suspects, well most of those big schools are in little city’s and little states
I want one of you to explain to me how a small city like Oklahoma City or tuskaloosa or any of those kind of places can generate more local cash flow to these kids
Texas and Aggie will have money but let’s get real, money will re draw the recruiting map! around here
It’s going to be a free for all and Houston can and will out spend Austin and college station combined every day

1 Like

Have you seen the number of wealthy LSU, Aggy, UT and OU alumni and boosters? For every 1 Fertitta they have 5 or more backers at least as rich. Do you really think they’ll let UH boosters and supporters outbid their beloved programs?

It’s programs like Tech, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma State that will be losing to UH in bidding wars. I doubt the real cream of the P5, will lose out. The Bluebloods will only be fighting among themselves.

2 Likes

I agree with the first two sentences of your post, Fred.

The question is how large is that pool of funds, and how does it grow each year.

Of course, without getting political, these decisions can’t be unilaterally imposed. Players, as a group, will have to and an equal seat at the table.

I, of course, have a known position on how that should be done. In order to keep the decorum we can have a discussion like that years in the future when these decisions are made.

This information will be offered while in Jr. Hi. Within a year or so,students will already know what to expect from each school that is expressing interest . . . . . student athletes do talk to each other, no matter what grade level . . . . .

One advantage we have is we’re located in Houston and Iam not worried about LSU and Oklahoma out spending us for top recruits

We have a fan base of maybe 25k on a good day, while most P5 schools have many more fans and GIVING alums. There is no way, zilch, nada, that we can compete from the position we are now in. We have hard enough time getting our alums to come to games, much less handing out cash allowances to athletes…lol

1 Like

ODB, Jr. handed out real Ca$h Money to the LSU players on the sidelines and made it rain in the locker room following the CFP National Championship. Apparently, LSU already pays their football players and it’s not on the down low. It’s blatantly obvious on prime time tv.

What’s even more crazy is ODB is free to do what he wants with his money, but who said it was his money? :flushed:

It could very well have been LSU’s and no one has a means to prove it without some thorough investigation.

Heck this is no different than the $100 bills, since at least the 60’s, put in players boots at halftime at Texas and A&M…
The only difference is that this goofball was caught on camera…
Meh…

Come on now, it has been going on everywhere for many years…I personally saw a few in our locker rooms back in the day. Maybe we didn’t stuff the boot as much, but we did our share…

Not arguing that Butch…but put this into perspective. We have never paid a player to show up here (ex Darrell Shepard, and we all know the characters around that fiasco). Did we give a little help here and there? To be sure.
But we are Nothing…and I mean NOTHING like the money machines like Texa$ and ATM and SMU back in the day…

1 Like

Those schools were literally giving away machines…vroom vroom…back in the day!! :smiley:.
Oprah: you get a car, you get car, you, you!

1 Like

Literally every player on the SMU team had a new car. The parking lot behind Ownby looked like a fleet sales yard. And they all had those vinyl tops…Monte Carlos, Cutlasses, you name it.

1 Like

I totally agree with ya Kendall. that’s the reason I said our boots ain’t near as full lol…

2 Likes

Earl drove a Lincoln Continental his freshman year and I got to interview him in Conroe that year…Earl was and always has been a great guy, but I remember joking with him about the wheels and him replying, “please don’t say anything about it in the paper…I just borrowed it for the weekend.”
His tutor at the time was teammate Sugar Bear Yates, who played at UT with Earl and also played against him when Conroe played Tyler in the state playoffs in 1973.
Sugar Bear told me later that the nice car was a lease car…wink, wink…
I could go and on with recruiting stories concerning the Aggies and Horns, but I will stop here because a book could be written…

3 Likes

A BIG BOOK at that…:wink:

1 Like

Eric Dickerson said he will take it to the grave what SMU did.

1 Like

Strong rumors then and now suggest an offshore bank account…:dollar::dollar::dollar:
You gotta hand it to the Ponies for innovation.

1 Like