Paying players one step closer

Basically the big P5 schools will be all for this! And the gap between the haves and have nots will grow even in the P5. The G5 should be very worried!

1 Like

Shows for coaches are underwritten. They don’t make money with viewership. A UH Football Show or UH Hoops Show or something similar which distributes cash to a team would actually put us in a pretty good place as we have lots of big companies who can spend cash. Rutgers could cash out with the NYC firms. Be funny to see Northwestern, where we had the first suit regarding payment of players, lead the pack.

The places like Manhattan, Kansas, not so much.

2 Likes

Not the AAC.

You do know the schools are not paying athletes right? Athletes will get money from companies, advertisers, autograph sessions etc. What does most of the AAC schools have? Give up? Big cities with lots of businesses.

I see it as a new industry contributing to the tax code. That under the table money can finally be taxed.

1 Like

Why would Rutgers cash out with NYC firms?

Nobody knows anything about Rutgers in NYC.

Nobody knows what State it is in.

That is why they needed a whole advertising campaign…”Rutgers…the State University of New Jersey”

2 Likes

Player compensation is really going to be great for Houston
Our business community will simply out spend everybody else for our local talent
The espn model for college football and autonomous conferences is a dead duck a lame duck, when 2023 gets here the bidding will start
The networks will be wondering why they are paying big bucks for so many A5 schools that are dead weight to their autonomous conferences
The trigger has been squeezed, the bullet is in the air and 2023 is the bullseye
Iam gonna need some more popcorn

I hate to be the Debbie Downer this week?

Why exactly would the Houston business community (the guys and gals who actually graduated from UT) pay UH players to stay home?

5 Likes

I hate agreeing with you. But yeah, those aggies and horns in Houston will never pay athletes to take the short drives up 290.

We cannot get them to show up for the games. What makes you believe they will offer real financial support at the same levels that the business community (Alumni) will supply to the bigs (UTA, ATM, LSU, ALabama, Oklahoma, Ohio St, etc, etc, etc)

1 Like

Bingo!

UNLV is gonna be rolling in it with that mafia money.

2 Likes

@P5_OR_Bust Even though the “P5” might have more money or as some pointed out, horn and aggy alumni won’t pitch in for Coog recruiting, we will still have one thing working for us.

Teams can ONLY sign a limited number of players. As always we’ll get under the radar guys and the occasional guys who want to get paid but didn’t make a “P5” roster. There shouldn’t be any real cause for concern.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

1 Like

What they need to do is develop a pool of funds. The $$$ come out from that fund and everyone gets the same amount. This way a player at UT get the same stipend that a player at any other school does. If the intent is maintain fairness and equity :rofl::laughing:, then this seems a fair way to do it. Otherwise the big state schools will always outspend the other schools.

However, after the fund is created, I would want any school caught paying its players to receive Draconian punishments, e.g., two year probation, 25% reduction in scholarships, player permanently ineligible at that school and all players receive a waiver from the NCAA to transfer to any other school because of the probation. A second infraction: 3 years probation, 50% reduction in scholarships, bowl and TV ban. Third infraction, call the headsman.

The most important thing that can come of this…The return of EA NCAA FOOTBALL!

3 Likes

EA:

presses X for doubt. lol

1 Like

The only way a pool works is if every school contributes an equal amount. Otherwise I don’t see UT or Alabama agreeing to subsidize players at UH or UAB. Also it’s not just about paying players, it’s also about players being able to market and make money off their likeness. How do you create a pool for that?

SCHOOLS ARE NOT PAYING ANYONE.

Athletes make their own money from advertisers, photo ops, signatures, etc, not from schools.

Why do I get the feeling we’ve had this thread before? There’s some reoccurring themes here.

2 Likes

So the school will not technically pay players. Can they say, “Mr. 5 star recruit, if you sign with us our booster that owns the local car dealer is willing to pay you X amount of dollars per season to do a 30 second radio ad”?

2 Likes

At least it will be above board and booster and athletes can stop worrying about getting caught.

1 Like

Sure we are in a big city…and guess what, we still cannot recruit the four and five star players away from the P5 powers.
And if it comes down to endorsements like advertising and autograph signings,. do you really feel like our football players are going to get preference? Don’t forget, many of the big shots running these shows and endorsements, are not Coogs…and even if they were most are going to hire the athletes who will draw the most paying fans to get autographs…
As far as signing autographs for money, name one Coog football player who would be popular enough to make money doing that?
In fact, I bet there are very few P5 players from this area/state who would demand money for autographs at this point…
In the past I think Keenum could have by his senior year, and maybe Greg Ward after the Peach Bowl win. Big Ed after his sophomore season…
Making money on the side, unless it is illegal donations from supporters lol, is harder than you think…Promoters just ain’t gonna pay for nothing in return…