People complaining about hiring Applewhite

you’re probably wrong about that, but I sense you’re trying to start a fight rather than make a point

1 Like

Interesting notes on the Jenkins era on this thread - that he was the founder of that Oilers’ Run N Shoot offense I grew up watching, and that UH was under sanctions which caused the 1991-1995 lull. Thanks for the insight.

As for MA not much to refute from what’s been posted but I’m striving for a silver lining. So I’ll chalk up the TT loss to the 11am kickoff in sweltering heat, Memphis to simply losing to a better team. That leaves one truly ugly mark with Tulsa but at least it was a road game.

Definitely need to see him make a OC change or even just agree to be more aggressive on O for next season. (Given what we know up to this point).

Lincoln Riley was never coming to UH. It had nothing to do with a buy out. He knew the Oklahoma job was going to be available and that is what he was waiting for.

2 Likes

Kubiak actually began his coaching career at A$M, but left for the NFL when Mike Shanahan asked him to join him on the offensive staff of the 49ers. It wasn’t a given he was going to stick with the pros, but he was a Shanahan protege and he was able to climb the coaching ladder working for someone who coached him most of his playing career.

1 Like

I saw it as another continuity hire and never liked his play calling. Kiffin might have been a one and done coach, who knows but his teams put up points. I thought Brent Venables from Clemson should have gotten some consideration. Whatever its done and we’re stuck with him, hopefully he can find a way to win 2 more games and get in a bowl. Far lower expectations than we should have.

The problem with Kiffin is that not only does he leave, he leaves your program worse than he found it. Between the lazy, JC-heavy recruiting and the NCAA violations, he’s one that actually might set the program back a decade.

4 Likes

Venables isn’t going to a G5 school as he’s angling for a P5 spot, possibly at another ACC school.

1 Like

As far as we know he wasn’t given consideration, maybe he had put it out that he didn’t want to be considered. He didn’t get any offers to be a P5 HC last season when this hire was made. We would’ve paid him more and given him his first opportunity to be a HC.

He’s basically said he won’t leave Clemson unless it’s the right situation the last two years. He was considered for the Mizzou job a couple years ago, but got passed up for Pinkel. Guy makes $1.431M as the DC of Clemson so he’s sitting pretty.

Just don’t think we’re on his radar.

Makes sense for him, his name never came up last year and I couldn’t understand that.

1 Like

Our fans are delusional. Like hearing UT fans think they can get Sabah, we have those that think Wade Phillips would leave the NFL to coach here.
I’m not sure why fans think half way into the season is time to figure out who to fire, I guess that makes them feel like they are managing the situation. I don’t have an attachment to any of these coaches and know it’s way to early to get into this discussion but I expect some changes every off season.

2 Likes

For the life of me I don’t understand why this is so hard for some of our fans to understand. And for those who think Kiffin would have been a better option (I know you’re out there) just stop. T-Moar pretty much summed up Kiffin in two simple sentences.

2 Likes

I’ve heard a lot of stuff about Venables. Everything from him being a particularly bad interviewer to a long-standing rumor that he’s waiting for Bill Snyder to retire so he can take the K-State job. Either way, I have the same opinion of him that I do of Orlando – for whatever reason, his name basically never comes up as a final candidate for any jobs, and there has to be something behind the scenes explaining that.

1 Like

Speaking of Venables, good article here about what he thinks in regards to OCs. While some on this board think we run the same plays over and over, I’m of the opposite opinion in thinking that we run a lot of different calls, but tend to not go back to what works. In the Arizona game, we were gashing them with Birden and Catalon, but continued to call passes in the 2nd half. In the Tech game, we got back in the game in the 2nd quarter by pounding the edges and then completely abandoned that in the 2nd half. Until a team shows they can stop something, my opinion is to keep doing it.

http://footballscoop.com/news/clemson-dc-brent-venables-explains-costly-play-calling-mistake-many-offensive-coordinators-make/

“Instead of having some long play sheet, and ‘we’ve got to get to all of my plays even though that one just went for 40’. Too many coordinators, I think have to get to all of their calls, and they forget to come back to their good ones because they’ve got to get to all their other ones.”

“Trust me, they’ve got a ton of variety, and they’ve got answers – it’s not like they’re running three plays, but they do a great job of tasting blood and going after it.”

I wanted Dana. Dana would have come if they were willing to pony up for him. Since they were willing to pony up for Herman I didn’t see that as a stumbling block. However, it never got to the negotiating point for reasons I remain unsure of. I’ve heard a couple of different reasons.