Permanent University Fund

Sickening how UT reagents talk like the PUF is their own money.

1 Like

Sigh…

https://www.mystatesman.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/approval-record-billion-payout-from-endowment-regents-plate/EENWpQexis5RwUeo7PLgNP/

Did see this though so it bears watching.

• Discussing plans to reorganize the system administration and to sell about 300 acres acquired for a now-scuttled data science center in Houston.

https://twitter.com/UHcougar308/status/1031191790773325824

I think the vet school shenanigans described in the other thread have included A&M utilizing some $150MM straight from the PUF to build/upgrade facilities in Canyon and College Station over the last couple of years in an effort to kill Tech’s program before it starts.

At least we’ll have some really healthy chickens and cows.

Politicians need to do their job and finally get it changed. This is clearly harming Texas Universities. Could this go to the Supreme Court? It should. It concerns every single Texan.

I just think it should be split between ut, s&m, UH, and a little bit to tech (because hump tech, we’re doing all the work!!).

1 Like

Needs to be shared across all publicly funded universities in the State.

1 Like

It has to. This is not only about U of H.

1 Like

Although no PUF or Texas state funds are being used for this project. Although the computing centre where these computers are housed was no doubt built with PUF money, plus their operating and maintenance costs also probably get some PUF money.

UT is getting a 2nd supercomputer. They got funding from the National Science Foundation. In 2017 to get what today is the 15th most powerful supercomputer in the world, the most powerful one owned by a university.

Their 2nd supercomputer will be the 5th most powerful supercomputer in the world. At present no university as even 1 supercomputer in top 20, UT is about to have 2!

Rumor (from a source that works in Austin) has it that they are also sweet talking Dell and other wealthy supporters to raise money for a 3rd supercomputer which will be the most powerful one in the world. Although the fundraising is not going as well as hoped.

1 Like

Cool letter to the editor in the Chronicle:

Share the wealth

Regarding “With help from Permian oil, UT endowment hits $31B” (Business, Dec. 26): As a 1962 graduate and Life Member of the Texas Exes, I am a proud and grateful recipient an engineering degree from the University of Texas.

The Permanent University Fund helped a farm boy from a small town in South Texas make something of his life.

In the last five years I have been proud to watch two of my grandsons graduate from Texas A&M in four years with first-class educations. Once again the PUF helped make this possible and I am grateful.

I currently have two grandchildren enrolled at Texas Tech University in Lubbock.

Like many others in this community, I also have several family members who have received an education at the University of Houston, which has enabled them to succeed.

For some of these, UT and TAMU educations were not viable choices due to space limitations in Austin and College Station.

It is time for the Texas Legislature to recognize the growth limitations of the UT and TAMU Systems, the demand for a first-class education in Houston and West Texas, and include both Texas Tech and UH in the PUF.

I have been to all four campuses, and sincerely believe this move would make a significant difference in the quality of state-supported higher education in Texas.

R.J. Bartosh, Houston

3 Likes

Definitely would be a step in the right direction toward all public, tier 1 universities in Texas participating.

2 Likes

Anyone know how much Univ. of Houston spent for research last year?

$169M

1 Like

The UH system will never get the same share as the UT sysem if you base it on the number of students.

UH system 70,027
A&M system 143,000
UT system 221,337

You know A&M college station is an older institution that UT-Austin, right?

You replied to a comment from over two years ago… Size of university you could easily argue is because they get extra funds, put all schools on the same funding, and the others will grow as well.

I think he meant when PUF was created, not ATM, pretty clear what he meant. PUF was created after the Universities, should stand to common sense.

And there are arguments that they can’t share it :roll_eyes:

Harvard University remains the leader with $39.2 billion. The Texas A&M University System, which also benefits from the West Texas oil lands, saw its endowment rise by $2 billion, or 17 percent, to $13.5 billion. The figures are as of June 30, the latest for which comparable data are available, and were compiled by the American-Statesman through interviews and a review of the universities’ documents.

It’s not the first time in recent years that the UT System’s endowment has edged above Yale’s. In 2014, the system held $25.4 billion to Yale’s $23.9 billion, but Yale regained the No. 2 spot a year later and had held it until now.

1 Like