Pezman Looking to Schedule Former SWC Schools

…and that is why we were kicked to the curb went to C-USA and are now in the AAC.

That’s not true. We had a game scheduled with LSU but got out of it to play OU in Norman instead.

2017 commit Bryan Jones had an offer from OU but he never enrolled so no one got him really. Other than him, zero is correct.

So they don’t play us but recruiting has nothing to do with it. Elite teams don’t play us because they see us as an inferior program that’s just good enough to upset them and that would make them look bad and hurt their chances at the playoffs.

If we put together a string of double digit win seasons, we can change other’s perception of our program. Once people stop thinking of us as inferior to the elite programs, then the risk of missing the playoffs because of a loss to UH becomes much less and the elite schools won’t be as worried about scheduling us. Just my opinion.

1 Like

I can think of one just this summer. Nelson Caeser committed to UH over OU. Not sure that game had anything to do with it though haha.

Yes, I forgot about him. Thanks. Let hope he sticks.

That’s one example that likely has nothing to do with Oklahoma losing to us. The top shelf programs have nothing to fear recruiting wise from us. So the myth that they won’t play us because of loss in recruiting if they lose is just that, a myth. The big question is did Vanderbilt or Texas Tech lose any recruits

I think Tech is going to continue to lose relevancy as long as UH keeps improving both athletically and academically

2 Likes

take 0 for 1’s

whatever it takes

when has Tech ever had relevancy? are you a Tech troll?

1 Like

I’d like to see us play some BIG schools…Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin…even the bottom feeder Rutgers…

1 Like

Good on Pezman. About time we had an AD that wants to do this and says as much.

1 Like

I don’t see it happening even if Pez does ask them to play us.

Texas and A&M no chance Aggie hasn’t played us since the SWC broke up and as long as Herman is at UT I doubt they would either.

Baylor they aren’t good again and they need 6 wins to become bowl eligible so they aren’t going to play us.

We have 3 games left against Tech and if we win 2 out of 3 it might be dicey if they want to continue the series.

TCU hasn’t played us other than the years they were in CUSA since the SWC broke up.

That really leaves just the old Big 8 teams. I know we have games coming up with Kansas and OU. I don’t remember us ever playing West Virginia or Iowa St so I am not sure if they would play us or not.

A lot of “flagship” universities play in state OOC games. But they almost never lose (against bad teams) and always at home.

Just look at Rice and their series with Texas. I can’t remember the terms but I think it was 2 for 1 with the Houston game being in NRG and who knows how much revenue Rice was even allowed to collect on the NRG game.

I don’t mind opening the door to old SWC foes, but we need to get a decent deal out of it. Otherwise I’d invite powers from other conferences to come make a recruiting trip to Houston and make some local headlines to further dilute how much UT and A&M supposedly “own” the Houston market.

3 Likes

Arkansas was in SWC…check with them…

1 Like

Unless there are teams from other P5s knocking at our door to schedule us (I doubt it), I’ll take less of a deal to play Big 12 teams just for the exposure and intrigue. But unlike most, I just don’t care that much about it from a revenue standpoint. I just want the national exposure and every opportunity I can get my hands on to beat a P5 team, especially Big 12 teams.

This season we play 1/3rd. of the former SWC: Rice, SMU, and Tx Tech.

I would say that is pretty good!

Arkansas has played us in Basketball. I would court them.

Neither Baylor nor TCU ever played us much unless they were in the same conference as UH.

That leaves The Longhorns and The Aggies. Playing at home neither has problems selling tickets regardless of the opponent.

Conclusion: Only Arkansas is a reasonable chance.

2 Likes

I second TucsonCoog. And plus the Arkansans are only really good 2 years per decade. Good chance of a W.

1 Like

Another problem is with the 9 conference games Big 12 schools are far more likely to push 2-1 deals, especially in years where they have 5 road conference games.

Nebraska, Colorado, Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Pac 12 south, Kansas would play us I would think.

2 Likes

Speaking of Kansas, did not realize Meachem is their OC now.