Please be respectful

Which I also thought was ridiculous.

I don’t practice in the criminal realm, but I am a lawyer. Release of the report will not be evidence per se, but will give the plaintiffs a good idea of where they need to go to get the evidence they need. Everything in that report will be hearsay which is not admissible. But if attorneys and investigators did speak openly for purposes of the report, it will be very difficult to go back and refute anything stated in the report.

1 Like

We all have. I sympathize with victims of this kind of situation and those who freeze in the moment because it can happen to us all. Its simple group thinking psychology. And that may likely have been the case for KB and RC, but I’m not faulting them for that.

What bugs me the most about them is that they’ve shown no remorse for being apart of the biggest scandal in college football history, ruined the lives of players, and victims, but yet feel they’re the ones that have suffered the most. They still have jobs, they’ve received their second chances at other schools. From the looks of it their career will continue and prosper as if they were never apart of it in the first place. So stop acting as if they have the worst of situation or that voices like me are simply grandstanding.

If KB was not a phenomenal OC UH would’ve never hired him and if they did hire him those defending him wouldn’t defend his hire. They’d call him Brian Johnson 2.0. This is about winning and people refuse to acknowledge that, and would rather sweep the serious ethical matters under the rug.

Thanks for the insight. I was wondering if items in the Pepper Hamilton were admissible.

If there are sworn statements contained within the report, they will be admissible. But from the limited knowledge I have of what the report is, and the fact that no lawyer worth his salt would EVER agree to a sworn statement like this, I doubt there is anything in there that would be admissible.

1 Like

Well, to be fair, every hire ever made in the history of sports has been about winning. This is cleary a matter of risk/reward. Any time you hire someone with an iffy past, you are putting yourself at risk. That’s what is happening here. I have zero issue with anyone hating this hire. The concerns are 100% valid. Criminal convictions happen all the time based on circumstantial evidence so I don’t fault anyone for judging KB based on the circumstantial evidence available. I was just trying to explain where I land and also express my trust of Dr. Khator in these types of situations. It may turn out she bet a little too heavily on this one. I guess we’ll find out.

1 Like

No I understand and agree. I’m accepting the hire because of Dr. K, but to be fair I don’t feel her response clears KB and RC. Also, I believe they will firmly guard the program and not allow the culture that started the issues at Baylor come close to ours. The out-clause is simply a way to get rid of them should anything arise.

“So in the mean time we’ll win with you, but if anything comes up you’re gone.” That “but if” says to me “we don’t know if you’re guilty of anything”. And that’s enough justification for me to not hire him. But Dr. K still feels the hire is worth the risk, so I have to accept the hire to support the program.

2 Likes

UH’13 -
Love your passion and support of UH
we need 25k+ more of you. Don’t agree with all you post but it’s your right and besides know many don’t like mine either. Us “elders” can’t last forever, your generation is the key to taking UH to the next level
keep the fire burning!

2 Likes

I don’t believe that the Pepper Hamilton report can be released because it wasn’t actually written. The report was given orally and only the bullet points were release. I believe they’ve moved in to get records of sexual assaults from the University and how they were handled and I believe that was approved.

Note: I’m not excusing anything that happened, but all of this deals with the entire University, not just football so any report would only contain some football info and it would probably minimal. What we know is that whatever was reported orally to the admin at Baylor caused them to fire Art Briles immediately, but they retained the rest of the staff. Ian McCaw was later let go as well.

That does lend credence to the theory that Kendal and Clements probably weren’t involved directly in the ongoing issues. However, he, along with other coaches, probably had an indirect influence on the culture that prevailed at Baylor and he did fight back initially about the claims which is problematic. He hasn’t fought back since trying to defend his father when Art was still there.

As far as showing remorse, I doubt he can say anything about the situation with the ongoing lawsuits as his lawyers have probably told him to keep quiet. I would imagine he has shown remorse in private as I doubt he would have been hired at UH if he wasn’t. Even if he does come out and apologize, he more than likely would be crucified for it. Basically, it’s a no-win situation for him and that’s probably fair considering what happened.

One other thing to note, Kendal is a Coog. He has a degree from the University and while we are trying to use him to win, we are also trying to give him a chance because he is a Coog. If he was an SMU grad, I doubt he’d be here right now.

However, we’re all diehards on this board and give in some way. I respect all opinions and implore those that are upset with the admin or the football program to consider giving to other sports or give specifically to the scholarship programs so the money goes directly to the athletes’ education. Also, make sure your voices are heard, from either side of the aisle, as we all can have influence on taking the program where we want it to go. Stay involved because, if you’re still on this board, you more than likely still love the Coogs.

5 Likes

I can guarantee you this is the truth. His attorneys will lock him in a dungeon if he tries to say anything publicly about his time at Baylor.

1 Like

He was gone either way to save the university, but what was interesting is they still paid a buyout. I don’t get that.

Him or RC