Postma should not start another game

This post WAS NOT about blaming Postma for the loss last night. The overall coaching job can be blamed for that.

This post was about needing to go in a different direction with our starting QB.

I love Postma and all that he has done for this program - especially during the 2015 season. However he has shown this year that he is not a starting QB. And this team desperately needs one to start building a team around.

3 Likes

Out of the QB’s that are available, I think Postma is the best option for the offense that they are running.

2 Likes

I’d like to see Allen too, but Applesauce seems to have decided on Postma. Offense did not cost us the game, they scored enough to win.

That last turnover was the game. Seems like Postma runs the offense better and with more poise but turnovers warrant giving Allen another look.

So how bad would it be if Allen were still in there? We’d be 2-5 right now. If King were really a choice for Applewhite, he’d have already played him, at least some.

Allen isn’t “the” reason we lost but 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter is unacceptable.

The defense doesn’t have the chance to give up 21 in that quarter without Postma’s blunders.

1 Like

Turnovers are the biggest factor in determining who actually wins the game. I’ve posted this before but I remember watching a college game last year where the analyst said statically in football the team that wins the turnover battle by one wins the game 80%!of the time. That percent goes to 90% if the team wins the turnover battle by 2.

You can’t discount the fact that turnovers will absolutely kill a teams chances of winning. Postma is averaging 3 turnovers a game basically against weak defenses and you can’t win games that way. Maybe someone like king would turn the ball over at the same rate but you won’t know till you give him a shot. I do know that a good qb is way more valuable than a back up wr (Bonner starts in front of king when healthy) and that postma is a turnover machine-that’s probably why the team is 3-3 in games he has started over his three years here.

1 Like

Well with our defense playing like it is we are not going to win many turn over wars

1 Like

Except that the defense gave up the 21 points between Postma’s first fumble at the start of the 4th quarter in Memphis territory and his second fumble on the long run near the end of the game. The defense allowed 35 points in the second half and only 7 of those came from after a turnover. All 5 offensive TDs by Memphis were drives of 62 yards or more so to blame the offense for the defense’s performance in THIS particular game is silly.

2 Likes

I think that most can agree that this was our worst defensive performance and our best offensive performance. Just like in most games everywhere, our turnovers played a significant role in the outcome of the game. If for no other reason than they killed whatever momentum we might have had, gave momentum to Memphis, and took away opportunities to keep the Memphis offense off the field. Turnovers sat Allen on the bench, and regardless of the reason, his turnovers should sit Postma on the bench. Let’s give King a shot to see what he can do.

1 Like