Potential New Defensive Coordinators

Kind of an out of the box thought, but what about Galena Park North Shore head coach Jon Kay? Kay has been at North Shore for 22 years, 15 as defensive coordinator and the last 4 as head coach. Under his watch, North Shore consistently has one of the top defenses in the state in Class 6A, not to mention the potential pipeline to the most talent rich school in the greater Houston area. Obviously the recruiting experience is not there, but you can help that aspect through position coaches.

I mentioned Spav on an earlier post. He was also recruiting coordinator when we brought in the kickass defensive secondary and LBs.

4 Likes

Although it’s a little early… Spav… one phone call/open check book — that’s after making Kendal the highest paid OC in the G5.

3 Likes

It was The boys and girls club actually.

So the plan is to hire a new defensive coordinator with no experience as a defensive coordinator from a school with a traditionally poor defense? I have no problem with replacing D’Onofrio, but surely there are better candidates.

2 Likes

Spav is the co-defensive coordinator and Gibbs trusts him. He is a fantastic recruiter.

Another option is ECUs D coordinator, Blackwell. I assume that staff is getting fired. He won’t have the recruiting footprint in Texas, but that ECU defense has done a 180 under him.

2 Likes

I actually wouldn’t mind giving phill Bennett a phone call…a lot of people forget that Baylor had some very good defenses under him.

2 Likes

Lot of options. Keith Patterson at Utah State was DC at Arizona State, WVU, and Arkansas State & was a Texas HS coach. Utah State is #29 in scoring defense. The guy at North Texas is a veteran DC, and they’re #15 in scoring defense. I have long thought Vic Koenning may be a good choice. I’m sure there are quite a few other good DCs out there that most of us wouldn’t even be aware of. I think Spavital is a competent guy who could turn out to be a good DC. Just seems like you would want a new DC to be someone with experience as a coordinator.

4 Likes

Bump. :wink:

Hey Sam, Spav will be a DC within the next 2 years. Highly respected within coaching circles. I’m surprised you aren’t aware of that.

2 Likes

I sure would support Spav. Just not sure how we could attract him from TT w/o a bundle of money, while having to pay off current DC. We would be getting an excellent recruiting team: MA, KB and Spav, just for starters. Seems that need immediate attention as well.

I think he’s a good coach. You would know what the word is in the coaching fraternity far more than I would. He may be an outstanding DC, and I wouldn’t complain if he were selected. Just seems as if there are some good, experienced DCs available. But he did do a lot for the program when he was here, and he would have my full support were he to become our next DC.

Does CMD still have another year on his contract after this year? I thought coordinators were normally signed to 2 year contracts?

You can thank Tillman for the three year contract.

2 Likes

https://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-defensive-coordinator-Mark-D-Onofrio-has-1-2-10866777.php

3 year deal. :rage:

1 Like

Bizarre!!!

People focus on the scheme and I do agree there could be more variety but the biggest issue with the defense is tackling. Someone posted a pic from SMU complaining about the DBs on 3rd and 10 but the WR caught the ball 4 yards short of the stick and twisted through 3 players to get the first down. UH was down 7 and SMU went on an 80 yard 5 minute drive. How many 3rd downs did they convert?

Overall the DBs don’t have any interest in tackling which results in them not being very good. I’m not sure if there’s a published stat on yards after contact but I’d love to see it.

I’d like to see more press at times just to force the other QB to make a decision quicker than they want but UH is not a good man coverage team. I thought SMU was really smart rolling Hicks out on the snap in certain situations and I wouldn’t be surprised if Temple did the same.

3 Likes

I’m sure he has the time and interest to negotiate the contract.

Disagree. As a coach, the next practice, you make it a priority. And if they don’t like it or aren’t interested then the coach shouldn’t be interested in putting them in the game.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree. It’s a problem and that stems from coaching. If the backups are better I’d like to see them, but you’re not getting better at tackling this late in the year. It has to be a priority from Spring camp.

1 Like