PPG Guesses for 2018

I think ppg is almost as deceiving a stat as ypg. If we put up 62 on Rice and TSU and 22 on Arizona and Texas Tech, that puts us at 42 ppg through 4 games. I’d prefer a more balanced offense that can take the lead with the pass and finish them off with the run. Then when playing a team with a massive and talented defensive line, be able to run the ball to set up the pass.

I’ll say 35 PPG.

Arizona and Memphis return a lot of starters, Tech should be much better defensively, Navy and Tulane run the triple option which speeds up the clock, and Temple and USF aren’t bad defensively.

33 ppg, two dogs, but the rest will be stiff competition.

47.0 ppg; I believe we’ll put up >55 points vs. TSU and Rice and high 40s to mid 50s against the crappy AAC teams. Mid 30s to low 40s against the better AAC teams.

I 100% agree that ppg is a deceiving stat when it comes to gauging how good a team is, but not sure I’m following your logic. If a team averages 42 ppg but gives up 40, that’s not a good team. But it sounds like you’re saying if we put up a ton of points against Rice and TSU but not an equal number of points against Arizona or Tech, that some how means the offense is not good. We all know we won’t score as much against Zona and Tech as we do against Rice and TSU, but I’m willing to bet a paycheck we put up more than 22 against both of them.

Also, I do think Briles will run a balanced offense, but not in the sense of taking a lead with the pass then running out the clock. Briles has said himself that the offense will take what the defense gives. As many people have mentioned, the wide OL splits are designed to give the offense an early glimpse at what the defense intends to do and adjust accordingly. I’m sure there will be games where we crush the opponent with a brutal running game and some where we need to throw more because they’re stacking the box. I honestly don’t give a flying flip how we beat teams as long as we beat them.

After the Rice game, well have a good idea

Recent history says differently.

I just wish we get under center at the goal line. I honestly don’t understand the logic of taking the ball back 4 yards when all you need is 2ft ahead. And if I never see a backwards pass again that’s ok too.

1 Like

Of course I would like us to put up over 40 points per game because it’s simply entertaining, but I just hope that every single game we put up more points than we allow i.e. 14-0

1 Like

North of your 42. I watched 4 FAU games last season (3 front to back). This is going to be fun. Remember the Texas DBacks vomiting on the sidelines during Pardee ??? Yeah…like that !!!

2 Likes

35 ppg seems realistic to me

1 Like

Coogs need the opponents score plus 1 at the final whistle!

Go Coogs!!!

3 Likes

It almost always takes a few games for a new offense to click. Last year, FAU’s first two games were against Navy (19 points scored) and @Wisconsin (14).

Their last 12 games?

Even including the first two games, that averages out to 40.2 points per game.

And impressive as that is, it’s well short of what Baylor did from 2011-2015.

2011 - 45.3
2012 - 44.5
2013 - 52.4
2014 - 48.2
2015 - 48.1

If KB can take FAU-level talent and put up 40 a game, I like his chances to put up numbers closer to Baylor’s.

2 Likes

35 sounds doable in any game we play. I say 38 due to inflation (Rice, TSU, ECU, SMU).

Talent relative to C-USA. The AAC has stiffer competition. We have guys drafted out of this conference every year. C-USA does not.

he averaged 48 in the big 12 with stiffer competition than the aac as a first year OC.

Or having your RB hesitate after the snap…which is required on a handoff from the shotgun. Go under center so the RB gets to the LOS before the DL can penetrate.

1 Like

This is why the QB power sweeps worked so well (no hesitation). Everyone moving at snap and extra blocker with QB running. Other than that play and a called QB draw I think shotgun is a handicap in short yardage… but probably some RPO rationale around holding LBs but IMO that is drastically diminished by spacing on goal line.

1 Like

Just my lay person opinion, but I would imagine operating in the shotgun in short yardage situations keeps the defense honest. It’s a bigger risk for them to stack the box knowing the shotgun formation provides more options without tipping your hand. It also gives the ball carrier a split second more time to adjust and reroute if the defense gets penetration. But I tend to agree that if the intent is to run the ball inside, the shotgun formation is detrimental. I, for one, would like to see more TE releases on short yardage situations. Just an easy bump on the DE and release into a seam route would catch defenses off balance a lot of times, especially against teams we aren’t able to run up the middle effectively against.

Touche.

1 Like

How was the talent at FAU compared to other CUSA teams and what do we honestly think our talent is compared to AAC teams? That is the real question.