Pre-emptive strike

Wanted to get a post up as the season kicks off, hopefully to beat some of the posts that I see every year. The ones that say something along the lines of:

“Well, if the Coogs can’t be the group of five representative in the big Jan 1 bowl game, I hope that the coaches/athletic dept/conference/Dr. Khator/Tillman can get them into a good bowl game!”

Look - based on the bowl tie-ins for our conference, if we do not win the conference and are the highest ranked group of 5 team, then we’re going to a crummy bowl game.

No offense to those bowls aligned with the AAC, but there isn’t much of a possibility of UH getting into one of the other “big time” bowls outside of the Fiesta Bowl - and that would require being the group of 5 representative. I believe we could fill another conference’s slot (if they don’t have enough bowl eligible teams), but don’t count on that conference giving up one of their better bowls to us.

Somebody can correct me, but I believe that these are our primary bowl options if we aren’t headed to the Fiesta Bowl:

BBVA Compass Bowl, Birmingham, Ala. – vs. SEC
Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg, Fla. – ACC
Miami Beach Bowl, Miami, Fla. – vs. MAC
Military Bowl presented by Northrop Grumman, Annapolis, Md. – vs. ACC
Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl, Fort Worth, Texas – vs. Big 12
Bahamas Bowl, Nassau, Bahamas – vs. Conference USA
R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, New Orleans, La. – vs. Sun Belt

No, that sounds about right. Conference also has secondary parternerships with the Liberty Bowl and the Advocare V100 Bowl (What used to be the Independence Bowl) in Shreveport. Conference only gets to use those partnerships if the assigned conferences can’t fill them.

2 Likes

you are correct. AAA bowl tie ends suck. If we not going to a NY6 bowl then Armed Forces should be the bowl we go to.

Last time we won double digit regular season games but lost conference we got a good, ranked P5 opponent in Penn State. The actual bowl, ticketcity, wasn’t that great. If we are on the national radar (ranked is a good barometer) like we were then ESPN will take care of us. They want good matchups, the P5 never fills their bowl slots, and a lot of horse trading goes on for these bowls now.

6-9 wins yes we will not be on the national radar and will be heading to a terrible bowl. Maybe at 9 wins we can sneak in a p5 bowl with Ed.

1 Like

The bowls work themselves out. If you are a good team, you have more options. #1 - 0

1 Like

Bowls are all pre-determined by the conference affiliations these days. Not like days of old where they were invitationals and set up matchups based on teams and geography.