Preview: at Louisiana Tuesday (W 4-0)

Fuentes’s struggles have been really surprising. He was a stud the last two years at Alvin and hit well in high school as well; in the fall, Whitting considered him one of the better newcomers and he was batting cleanup on opening night.

He’s got talent; may just be a John King situation where he has to feel comfortable first.

Cumbie motors through the 8th as this may be his most complete outing of the year. He’s gotten stronger as the game has gone on which is great to see.

I started to worry when he got into a little trouble in the 6th or 7th, but he responded well.

Do you think we have an argument for the best starting rotation in the country? If not, I’d love to see a better 1-2-3-4 punch than Romero, Ullom, King, Cumbie.

Absolutely. There can’t be many that are better.

Triolo scores on a grounder to 1st by Hollis where they tried to go home, but the ball popped loose. Coogs on 1st and 2nd with 1 out.

Coogs lead 4-0 going to the Bottom of the 9th

Cumbie gets the shutout and the Coogs win 4-0 for the 6th win in a row!!!

Cumbie goes 9IP 0H 0R 0ER 2BB 5K

Cumbie shut down a pretty good team tonight…he might be the best fourth pitcher around…good go see him throwing the rock so well…

1 Like

Great win. We didn’t play exceptionally well, but we didn’t beat ourselves, and it was enough to beat the #10 team in the country on the road. Hopefully our players learned that tonight.

1 Like

Good night for the Conference so far tonight:

• Cincy upset #1 Louisville who hadn’t lost a game this year
  • Memphis is leading #14 Ole Miss in the 8th
  • Tulane is drilling a top 50 RPI McNeese State in the 7th
  • UCONN, USF, UCF, and ECU all won as well

https://twitter.com/UHCougarBB/status/844367467195584512

Memphis won 2-1 in 11 and swept the 2-game season series against Ole Miss. Good for the AAC.

1 Like

Hopefully with the wins that Cincinnati and Memphis earned, in addition to our win over ULL, our conference can get a little more respect. I believe as of now Houston, USF, UCF, Cincinnati, Memphis, and ECU all have wins against ranked teams. Tulane earned solid series wins over West Virginia, UNC-Charlotte, and beat McNeese State last night, while UCONN played solid against UT are 10-8 so far. If they can earn a series win over Seton Hall, that would be great. Another observation, I believe every baseball school in the AAC has a victory over at least one school in a P5 conference.

RPI has us as the 5th best conference right now which is pretty good.

I think we have an outside chance of hosting if we win the conference. Our SOS actually goes down from here on out (Thanks Tulane and Rice), but that should translate into a lot of wins. If we can stay Top 25 in RPI and win the conference, the NCAA would be licking their chops.

https://twitter.com/UHCougarBB/status/844381137988407296