Q&A: Catching up with former Houston point guard Ronnie Johnson

Really miss this guy this year

TC: So what made you choose to transfer to Auburn?

RJ: My cousin, Chuck Person, he coached for the Lakers, played in the NBA, played for the Pacers. He had a long NBA career. He’s the all-time leading scorer here at Auburn. He talked me and my dad into leaving Houston and coming out here and playing for him. He told me he “got me,” and I trust him.

This is why you bring in as many high character guys as possible.

Wowwww. That’s just shady, and lost respect for Chuck Person. Big blow for UH when he left.

With talent!

Sad because you can tell in the interview that he’s having second thoughts.

1 Like

9000% correct.

FWIW, Ronnie has started only 1 game out of 20 for Auburn. He’s playing 15 minutes per game, and averaging 6.4 points, 1.5 rebounds, and 1.75 assists.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2016-2017/teamcume.html

Last year, Ronnie started 13 of 31 games here. He played 22 minutes per game, and averaged 9.4 points, 2.6 rebounds, and 2.9 assists.

Given the makeup of this year’s team, I’d have to think Ronnie would be playing around the same number of minutes. Oh well, best of luck to him.

I think Jarrett Allen is having second thoughts as well. That Texas team is awful!
With Ronnie, and Jarrett, UH would be a sweet 16 team.

What was the hook that got him to UH? He ran into some trouble at Purdue – heard it was smoky stuff – but was an acknowledged talent there. Got things straight here and was in a groove. Auburn is probably a bigger name or with better facilities but it’s a small town and they’re pretty bad.

"[UH] That’s where I received my degree, so I’m always reppin’ Houston and the Cougars."
That’s awesome. BTW, great article to share with people who want to transfer. Grass isn’t always greener. Appreciate the straightforward talk.

At the time, I think it was playing time. We didn’t have a PG and Ronnie was the expected starter.

CKS then recruited Galen and Ronnie was relegated to a backup role. Don’t think he was happy about that and he believed he could move on and start at Auburn…except they also brought in other PGs and Ronnie was again made a backup.