Randy Brown

Joseph Duarte has written great article about Randy Brown & his time with the Bulls & MJordon. Randy was One heck of a player for the Coogs.

2 Likes

Is this the same Randy Brown that anchored some the bull’s title runs?

1 Like

He was here 2 years and transferred to NMST. Had a pretty good 2nd year here before leaving.
I think he transferred with Michael New

1 Like

Watch out… The he’s not a real Coog for transferring crowd is coming… Lol

1 Like

He transferred out when Pat Foster signed Derrick Daniels from FW Dunbar.That 1988 team featured Craig Upchurch, Richard Hollis, Horace Chaney, Chris Morris, Derrick Daniels, Darrell Mickens, Roger Fernandes, and Eddie Cumbo.

The next year was Fosters second best at UH when he added Carl herrerra. That team was loaded and, finished 2’nd in the SWC. That team:
6’ 9" Carl Herrerra avg 16.7 and 9.2 rebounds
6’8 " Craig Upchurch avg 13.1 and 7.0 rebounds
6’ 5" Chris Morris avg 8.6 points
Shooting guard Byron Smith avg 16.3 points
OFF the bench 7’ 1 Alvaro Teheran 504 and 3.4
OFF the bench 6’ 5" Darrell Mickens
OFF the bench 6’ 7" Kelvin Smith
PG Derrick Daniels avg 9.5 points

1 Like

Fosters best team was the 25-6 1991 team that won the SWC. It was loaded with:
6’ 7" SAm MAck 17.5 and 5.8
6’ 8 Carig Upchurch 15.7 and 6.5
6’ 8" Bo Outlaw 11.9 and 802
6’ 2" PG Derrick Daniels
6’ 6" David Diaz
6’ 5" Derrick Smith
6’ 7" jesse Drain
6’ 6" Tyrone Evans

That team crushed the Texas Longhorns in the conference tourney finals 91-72 for our 9’th straight win. We had lost to Texas twice in the regular season. Other loses were to Louisville 60-56 and a thrilling Wednesday night before Thanksgiving lose in the Hoff to North Carolina Tarheels 68-65 just a few days after we had beaten Villanova of the Big east 79-49. Yes by 30! We finished the season going 15-2 down the stretch. Many thought we were going to have a deep run in the tourney but alas we lose in round 1 to Georgia Tech 65-60 and it seemed to kill the pat Foster era at Houston.

1 Like

Pat’s teams always seemed to be big up front but underachieved. His first taem after taking over for Guy V finished a disappointing 9-7 in the SWC with a front line of:
7’ 1" Rolando Ferriera 9.8 and 5.6
6’ 10 Cadillac Anderson 18.2 and 10.6 NBA first rd.
6’ 8" Rickie Winslow 12.8 and 7.4
6’6" Tom Grant possibly the top recruit in Houston the year before.

Unfortunately our leading scorer on the wing was walkon 6’ 1" Tim Hobby

2 Likes

Tom Grant out of Nimitz, right? Glasses?

Wow, haven’t thought about that guy in forever. He was a dunking highlight reel at Nimitz and dominated Aldine and the rest of the district.

Wanted Darrell Mickens to play football. With his athletic skills could of been a NFL Star.

1 Like

To be honest, I just don’t remember Randy Brown.

Kid out of Chicago, tough kid, great defensive player…but him and New left to New Mexico State when coach Foster brought in highly ranked point guard Derrick Daniels…I believe Daniels was a four year starter here.
I know Foster hated to see Brown go because he could play great defense…

2 Likes

I agree that 91 team was loaded but Foster teams seemed to slow down and play mechanical in big games outside of ut.

That first team in 87 lacked guard play and shooting. I remember Hobby being the only three point threat the first year of the college three point line that season. Winslow was so talented but never developed his jump shot. I remember going to Autry as a kid and holding rice to below 40 with our imposing frontline and Winslow I think defended their top player, Hines who was their POINT GUARD. They could not get a shot off.

If Brown and New had both stayed, I think that team had the potential for a sweet 16 to elite 8 finish. And with a little luck and lucky bounces of the ball, who knows where that team would have ended up.

This seems to be the history of the Coogs… If only Dwight Jones had stayed, If only Drexler, If only Damon Jones… Need I go on. Do I dare say Nate Hinton?

2 Likes

If Dream stayed if ROB stayed and sonone. Bottom line is good teams good players go onto play professional. It happens and will continue to if we remains top tier program.

This program is prepared to lose players. With Hinton we lose some skills and experience. With Mark getting more time we gain some skills. We have 40 min to play and have 4 very supremely talented players and a shooter to split up those minutes and that’s even if Jarreau goes pro.

Next years team will win differently just like last years team did and the year before that and year before. We are fine!

1 Like

Mix Ken’s could jump out of the gym. He would have been a heck of a rush end or tight end. If I remember correctly he got time at the 5 and even though he was at a height disadvantage he held his own. I loved it when he just sprung out of a crowd to block a shot .