Ranking the 80 Best CFB Defenders of the 2000s

Big Ed landed at 31…

2 Likes

Ed was one of the best to ever play at UH.

I’m sure somebody is gonna mention some guys from 50 years ago or whatever but all people truly remember is the modern era.

2 Likes

Right there with Wilson and Ware…

Totally agree on Big ED, he’s a beast! That acknowledged, guess that I’m the somebody. Wilson Whitley played only one season in the SWC and was named player of the decade. Lombardi Winner, 6th overall player taken in the NFL draft. Check out the article on him in SWC Legends.

7 Likes

^^THIS^^

I said Wilson, but I meant to use his last name Whitley above… Between him, Ed and Andre we have all of them major player awards given out to NCAA football players.

1 Like

Ed was very good but he wouldn’t be in the top 5 maybe even the top 10 of defensive players to play for the Coogs.

Wilson Whitley
Mack Mitchell
Glen Montgomery
Lamar Lathon
Simon Fletcher (who was outstanding)
Eugene Lockhart (Eugene the hitting machine)
Charlie Hall (who was incredibly good)
Leonard Mitchell

They were all better than Ed. That is not to disparage Ed but the mad dogs were incredibly good.

3 Likes

And the DB’s?

I remember talking with Bill Yeoman and said although he didn’t get near the press, I was really impressed by Simon Fletcher. He told me, “I wish I had a whole team of Simon Fletchers.” Yes, direct quote. Fletcher was my all time favorite on the D.

Simon played with such incredible leverage and speed that he was unblockable. I remember in 84 we went up to Austin and beat Texas and I think they were 1 or 2 in the country and Fletcher dominated. Beautiful day.

He was incredible. He is in the Broncos ring of honor.

2 Likes

Ed was roughly equal to guys like David Hodge, Hosea Taylor, and T. J. Turner.

This is no slam on Ed. He was tremendous, but we have had some mighty good D Linemen and Linebackers over the years.

3 Likes

Ed did get drafted in the top 10 after his junior year…

He was incredible. He is in the Broncos ring of honor.

Keomacao Thank ! information so great !

1 Like

Fletcher was the all-time sack leader for the Broncos at one point.

Loved Hosea Taylor. Didn’t he block the field goal to preserve a 10-7 win in Fayetteville in ‘79?

1 Like

I miss the 3rd Ward D!!!

What a great bunch of Coogs, I always thought that I was gonna be on that list, at least with the ones that were there before me. Recruited as a fullback, I knew that they would would flip me to the defense. I woulda made it too, except for my obvious lack of speed, size and talent :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

Where one was drafted doesn’t necessarily equate to how good they would be in the pros. Audray McMillian was a 3rd round pick that was a pro bowl and all-pro player for the Oilers and Vikings. He had a great 9 year career. Played QB when he came to UH, but injuries moved him to CB. That guy was a baller!

1 Like

I agree with your point but with one caveat… It does mean they had an amazing college career if they’re drafted in the top 10…

1 Like

EO had an amazing freshman year and good sophomore year; junior year, not so much.

2 Likes