Realignment speculation

lol. I would love to think that UH is there now but I think it would take 5 to 10 more years of playing at the highest level. The Power conference that gets UH will be getting a gold mine, or maybe a diamond in the rough

Come on man
we drubbed Oklahoma and ut refuses to play us
he he !!!

Yes we did and because of that we are known as giant killers, what we want to known as is a giant. I am old now and I want to see UH resume it’s place with the power teams and compete at the very highest level before I die.

4 Likes

If UT/OU left and the other 8 had to figure out what to do together, my guess is we’d see something like what happened to CUSA when the Big East lost Miami. Basically, the AAC would be poached as the Big12 tried to remain viable.

I would assume BYU would get an invite along with 5 of Memphis, UCONN, Houston, UCF, USF, Colorado State, Cincy. Out of those, I’d probably say that Houston, Cincy, and at least one of the Florida schools were locks.

The American would then try to make do with what’s left. Guessing they raid CUSA to save their conference.

Pretty plausible, right? Now think about Mike Aresco trying to convince TV execs that the conference will still be strong 8 years from now with this scenario on the table. Good luck to him.

Not coming from a strong negotiations standpoint. However, the American has been better than expected so he does have some assets to promote. Do you exchange securing cash flow at a lower rate for a longer period or ask for much more with a renegotiation provision should two or more teams depart before the contract expires?

1 Like

And on the field / court is that conference any better than the current AAC even with BYU? I will definitely give it the advantage of bowl tie ins and contract terms for media, etc but ugh
what a mish mash of teams.

1 Like

I think before bolting, you could see OU and tu try to get as much money as possible (say double what they are getting now); or for Ou and tu to get half of the revenues while the other half is split between the remaining 8 teams.

If a combination of university presidents in a particular conference and their media partners (ESPN, etc.) conclude UH gets them more TV dollars, we will be invited into a P5 conference.

Run the numbers any way you wish, but I can’t see how any conference would feel compelled to add UH. By ‘compelled’ I mean that leaving us out will cost them lots of money. Yeah, if the PAC needs another time zone, we may be a relatively attractive candidate, but that seems a long shot. UL fit the ACC footprint perfectly to grab some fans slightly westward, and as many parallels as we might draw between UL and UH, geography worked for them when they most needed it.

If I’m Aresco, I try to secure a higher rate for a shorter period of time. You have some leeway before anyone will depart the conference as nothing will happen prior to 2025 when the Big12 GOR is up. Gives the conference around another 5 years to continue to build. You can probably sell TV execs on 5 years of stability.

Probably not, but then again, I’m not sure the current Big12 is any better than the current AAC. Unfortunately, college sports are all based on perception which is why everyone of those schools would jump to a Big12 even if OU and UT weren’t there and no guarantees of long-term viability. Just the way the game is played these days.

2 Likes

Take out the big 2 and the Big-12 offers nothing better than the AAC in terms of financial attractiveness. In fact, the wider footprint of the AAC might have more appeal. I think the Big-12-10-8 will, under these circumstances, look West instead of East to fill their ranks (BYU, Boise, SDSU, etc.). That would leave both conferences comparable. Both could become new P5.5 vs. the P4.

Or maybe the AAC could pick up a few B12 remnants like OSU, KU, TT, & TCU or WVa. Just adding OSU & KU would mean our BB would be on par with the P5 BB power conferences.

1 Like

When (not “if”) uta and OU leave, I think the Little-12 will cease to be a P-5 conference, and AAC has a good chance of taking their place! And I, for one, will remember how we were treated by the dying Little-12, and would not be very enthusiastic about throwing a life-line to any of their remnants.

2 Likes

Here is what I don’t understand and if someone can explain the difference in the situations go for it. Rutgers (Rutgers!?!?) got into the B10 because somehow they convinced the cable companies that a random school in New Jersey could carry the NYC market, upping subscriber fees in NYC and generating additional revenue for the conference. There are three P5 conferences with zero teams in Texas. What is the problem?

ut !!!

1 Like

Well, there are four w/o a presence in MST/PST.

Right now, we’d have a better shot than Tech, ISU, OK State, KSU but with a handful of more years with tens of millions in investments, it gets tougher.

When tu and ou leave the big12, the big 12 will cease to exist as a P5. The remaining P5s will become the P4s and our only hope of joining the party is if they all go to 16 teams.

1 Like

Rutgers is the state University of New Jersey, contiguous with the B10 footprint and an AAU member. Plus it was also a warm body the B10 needed since Maryland joined the league. I’m not saying it was the greatest move in expansion history. But there were reasons behind it.

Adding Rutgers did get the B1G network in the channel lineup in New York which was the reason behind adding them. However, Comcast is playing hardball and removing the channel in the New York area this year. We’ll have to wait and see if there is enough interest there to bring it back.

Maryland isn’t having the same problem as Comcast is keeping the B1G network in the channel lineup in DC.

Currently, the P5 encompass (for football) 64 programs plus Notre Dame.

If they go to P4 with 16 programs each, it means at least 1 current P5 program will be left out. Also, the current P5 programs will have the leg up.

For UH to get into one of the P4 will be next to impossible, it will require at least 1 more current P5 member being left out. It may happen, with blessing of the networks/media partners (if they so want), otherwise it will be a huge uphill battle.

If they go to P4, the bottom feeders from whatever conference is left out (likely the Big 12), will not be guaranteed spots in the remaining conferences even if they all went to 16. We would need to take Baylor or Iowa State’s place. I’d guess WVU and Kansas State wouldn’t be sure things either.

That said, I’m not convinced the remaining conferences would all go to 16.