Realignment speculation

With that said, I only see one viable conference candidate for UH and that’s the PAC12. UH won’t have to worry about the Big12 collapsing if they join it. The PAC12 per school payout is one of the lowest in the P5. Adding UH would open the Texas market for the PAC network and increase eyeballs for ESPN and other networks. I’m just saying to add UT or UH will increase revenues for the PAC12. So for UH, the PAC12 conference is the one to watch for expansion not the Big12.

NO HE ISNT RIGHT! you know…
we will have a bid to P5 by 2023…
I agree with Ron’s analysis and hope PAC will finally act when time comes in a few years

4 Likes

UH needs to get the med school going, attain a second tier one designation and win multiple conference championships (at least two in football) by 2022. If that gets done, we’re P5. UH must be relevant like 2016.

3 Likes

This realignment thing has absolutely nothing to do with winning or championships. Nobody is going to pick UH bc we all of a sudden we go to a New Years 6 bowl every year. It’s all about the money. Brand recognition and TV ratings ( how many people want to watch UH play) is what gets you in. Winning can help these but winning is not what will get you the invite. Also let’s please stop with the UT will take us here or there talk. Why would UT do that. If they really thought that highly of UH they would have taken us in the 90’s. If UT takes anyone it will be one of their buddies that’s in their conference already. If UH wants this it will have to do it on its own. We have to build our band up until we cannot be ignored only then will we get what we all want.

7 Likes

Texas is a top ten economy by itself. Bring back the SWC! Stop chasing foreign lands. The grass is not greener.

imo

1 Like

UH absolutely needs championships to build the brand and attract the following it needs.

UT will ‘take’ UH if that is what ABC/ESPN want!

1 Like

It’s not economy size, but population. On its own, Texas’ population is not large enough to justify P5 level $ valuation.

Plus having multiple states conference also has the added benefit of creating match ups that draw more interest across the nation.

Next I doubt UT will ever want to be partners with SMU and Rice.

I agree winning championships helps build that brand but we also need some self promotion bc you are not going to win championships every year. We also need basketball to start making some noise ( like they did this year) that way we stay in the conversation even after football season ends. Lastly we need to grow the fan base.

1 Like

Unfortunately, in Houston, you have to win championships to draw fans and build your brand. That goes for the pro teams (outside of the Texans) and for college teams. Just a way of life here.

The Astros were drawing less than 20K at times last year during a World Series year. Rockets are the best team in the NBA and can’t sell out. Dynamo went to the Conference Finals last year and couldn’t fill half their stadium most of the time. Our football attendance dropped considerably after losing a few games and this year could see a huge step back. Basketball wasn’t drawing more than a 1,000 fans early in the season. Baseball hosted the regional last year and the opening day game may have been half full. This is a bandwagon city with tons of options to spend their entertainment dollar.

3 Likes

I doubt THAT very much; people need to understand: UT HATES THE GROUND THAT UH WALKS ON! Their intention is to eventually replace us in Houston.

By the way - have they SOLD that land for UT-H yet, the land that they bought at an outrageous price from one or more of their big supporters? Didn’t think so!

2 Likes

^^The truth! If its not a playoff or a good team playing or the media doesnt hype it up. People dont come.

Showmanship. That was my primary concern with Major Applewhite. It’s all about sports entertainment and we have Soundwave as our HC. :smile:

1 Like

Briles and the excitement about his offense will bring an uptick to this coming season’s paid attendance. After the brutal reality of last season’s paid attendance briles will be a godsend.

If it doesn’t result in wins, then there’s some serious financial issues to face in the coming season’s.

You can bank on that. Don’t ever count on anything remotely good for us coming from UT. Don’t ever get into any deal involving those slimeballs.

Anything we do or anywhere we go will be because of our own accomplishments and in spite of UT, not with their help.

4 Likes

You’ve been duped by this Fluguer idiot again. The B12 just got through running us through the ringer to try to get BYU. And now this bullshat artist (this is actually insulting to kindergarten children that finger paint) is typing away in his pajamas about clandestine meetings.

Lol

3 Likes

Fluguer reported that a Nebraska doner ran into an old friend that is an OU doner who was with an OSU doner and talked about how great it would be if they were in the same conference again. I believe there is a better chance of UT and KU going B1G than OU and OSU.

True, UT will never support UH. However expansion/realignment will not be driven by any conference or university. It will be driven and controlled by the media networks.

Now, suppose the media bosses decide UH is more a valuable partner than TT, and demand that UT dump TT, when UT joins another conference. Not only that, the media partners also demand that UH replace TT as UTs travel partner. I am sure UT will make it look like they preferred UH over TT, and hence “took” UH along, over TT.

UT knows that we will never catch them in terms of funding, but they are fearful that we could compete with them athletically.

1 Like

Uh would have to beat UT 9 times in a row just to even the record and beat them for an entire decade to have a winning record.

Fearful is not an emotion UT likely feels about UH athletics.

1 Like