Receiver's Tennis Ball Drill

I recall a tennis ball drill several years ago when Holgorsen & Carrier were here.

Something like using a tennis ball serve machine & if the receivers could consistently catch a fast tennis ball, then catching a football was easier.

IMO, receiver drops back then seemed to be fewer than last year.

Anyone know if we’re doing that again now that Holgorsen & Carrier are back?

2 Likes

When Tyron got here, he said he needed money for a lobster machine. I thought he was kidding. We raised some money to get it for him and some other stuff he wanted.

8 Likes

Good to hear that. I was talking with him about that at the meet and greet. He also wanted some jugs for footballs themselves.

5 Likes

What if we do wrenches? :thinking:

10 Likes

You’re supposed to catch the lobster, not dodge it

3 Likes

My brother used to hit golf balls at me. Didn’t help me catch footballs any better but I was king of the dodge ball court!

4 Likes

I believe I remember this idea when Steve Spurrier’s son was on staff for a short time under Dimel. It was a long time ago and before Carrier. Dana was a big stickler about the receivers being able to catch the ball the right way his first time here as the OC.

2 Likes

I got spoiled when Carrier, Edwards and Justin Johnson were catching balls from Case in 2011. Those guys never dropped passes. Demarcus Ayers had great hands like that too.

5 Likes

I know they used to do this under Briles. I worked as an equipment manager for the team back in 2003, and during spring practice they’d bring out a tennis ball machine and the guys would sit on a stool and catch the balls that we’re shot at them.

2 Likes

That was one of the drills that JP (Jason Phillips)used when he was here.

2 Likes

Yup I specifically worked for coach Phillips. I’d point the machine at the guys and go retrieve the balls they didn’t catch

1 Like

Patches O’Hoolihan method.

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball

5 Likes