Recruiting discussion: "Diamonds in the Rough"

Not sure if trolling or actually confused…

Offense took a step back because play at QB was extremely sporadic. Do you honestly think any QB could hold a candle next to the fire that GWJR played with? CMA has his weaknesses but QB play was terrible when it counted. It had nothing to do with scheme or similarity. You could literally put our players and Rice players in the same scheme and we would outperform them because of talent. GWJR was just better than any QB we had on the roster this year. You take him away and their is going to be a learning curve; that includes CMA.

Lol you know players can improve on a year to year basis right? Do you think that he was the same QB with Levine as he was with Herman???:joy::joy::joy: I’m guessing you’re expecting King to play the same way he did this year, and not make any improvements as well…

2 Likes

i guess that peach bowl win and 2 wins vs louisville, and OU dont count then.

so if levine was his hc all 4 years at UH you think he would be the same ward as he was under herman? get really. im not trollimg im speaking facts. you know UH fans delusional when im defending Herman and UT when I dont even like UT.

The Peach Bowl and OU UL wins count. Just like SMU, UCoNN, Memphis, etc. do also.

oh and even ward agrees with me

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/640386615966232577

applewhite lost to tulane, memphis and tulsa and broke our home ws.

1 Like

I’m confused about the whole comparison anyway. Herman was a highly touted offensive coordinator. Would we really hire him as a head coach just to implement an unemployed coach’s offense? Pretty sure it was Herman’s offense with Applewhite as a play caller and last year was Applewhite’s offense with Brian Johnson as the play caller.

2018 I have no clue. It was hard to tell this spring seeing as the scrimmage mostly matched up offensive projected starters against defensive projected backups.

applewhite was only good because of herman. look at applewhite’s offensive coordinator track record and how he did. numbers dont lie…he was a very mediocre OC until he became UH’s OC under herman.

1 Like

Okay for numbers. Applewhite had us doing 35.3 PPG in 2016. Strong had UT doing 31.9PPG When Herman got to UT they did 29.5 and we did 28.2 under Johnson. By those numbers I’m saying CMA was a way better coordinator than Bryan Johnson who he gave full control of offense. I could reference the video (where he says he didnt know if it was player execution or play calling) If Hermans offense was as great as you say, and he was implementing his offense, and coaches were just calling the plays than his offense should have blown up the inexistent defense in 12. But the defense bailed him out a good number of times in his games.

1 Like

Selfishly am glad coach Herman came to Houston. OU , Loiseville and Florida State .

1. AAC championship moment …seeing the delight on those kids faces, in that stadium under the lights. Redemption after 2011.
  2. Students lining around the stadium for tickets to the OU game. The energy around the program

Compare 2015/ 2016 to now. The energy is gone man. You can’t win with this kind of energy. This is lose to Rice kind of energy. God help us !

1 Like

In a weird way, i also enjoyed having Herman here. Even if he was a self promoting egomaniac, he was good for the program when focused on doing his job. I also had no problem with him leaving. Coaches will leave. Just part of the business of college football these days. Not too different from society has a whole in that respect. Just wish he could have been a man about it. His behavior in that circumstance was deplorable and makes him deserving of a kick in the nades. Just thinking about it irks me. Karma will catch up with him eventually. All coaches should have the respect for their players and those that gave them an opportunity as Scott Frost had. I’ll always root for his teams as long as they are not playing us.

1 Like

lol You credit Herman but not CMA. Yet who did less with more this past year? You’re also making like 30 different arguments man. Pick one. We first were talking about recruits and now are comparing success levels of coaches who coach in different conferences, have different players, and one is a 3rd year, and the other is a 2nd. What are you even trying to say?

Yes, Herman had that outstanding class with Ed, but do you want CMA to pitch the same tired and used up line as Herman, “I’ve been on a championship team (ohio state) and I know how to win, come play for me”? It doesn’t work like that. The dude is at least active and finding good players that are overlooked (what we’ve done before Herman got here) and will find success. Coogs embrace the underdog role and the team feeds off of it. It’s hard to sell blue chip recruits on what it means to be an underdog and play with a chip; Herman is finding that out in Austin and needs find a new “line” fast! lol Meanwhile CMA’s first class are just sophomores at this point, did you want him to start a bunch of true freshmen in D1 football ?

Accept the fact that until we start winning consistently this is how it’s going to be. That doesn’t mean we can’t win games with who we have. CMA has borrowed a business model from a coach that made it popular to seek JUCO players and transfers in order to fill roster holes-Dan Mullen. Don’t get too caught up in recruiting rankings because class rankings don’t always equate to filling the needs on a respective team. No need to panic.

It isn’t false; it’s the truth. I’m not saying Herman wasn’t a good motivator, but he also used the idea that we’d be in the Big 12 to land some of the recruits that landed here that season. Some of those guys were not happy when it turned out we didn’t and then Herman left them in the cold by fleeing for Austin. Some of them are no longer at Houston. I’m glad he motivated you, he motivated a lot of us as well, but a good used car salesman is still a used car salesman in the end.

Sumlin in 2010 had 1 4 star and the rest were 3 stars. Go back and look at that class now and there are clues as to why we struggled during Levine’s tenure (besides the play calling). That’s the problem with the recruiting sites: in the end, they’re just numbers before those players start at a school.

1 Like

you do realize why some of his recuits that year decommited right? newsflash it happens with almost every HC that leaves to go to another school. i get people on here are salty about him leaving for Texas but come on.

I guess I don’t really care enough about the recruiting rankings to really get caught up in where we rank. I get your point, and it is valid, however, the recruiting sites are mainly to serve the largest fanbases. They pay more attention to guys that are able to go to camps and know the process more than they pay attention to guys that don’t. They admit that when the blue blood schools get involved, they watch more tape and move the ratings accordingly. We’ve literally seen guys that were committed here, decommit and go to a blue blood get their rating increased within the same month. I can’t blame them, that’s good business sense for them in the end and how they make their money, but it doesn’t mean that they are the end-all-be-all when it comes to how good a player really is.

The sites also don’t include transfers from other schools. If you included our transfers this year, I’m sure we’d far outpace the schools that you’ve listed. Technically, they count as part of this upcoming class so why aren’t they counted in our ratings? Probably because that would skew the ratings from what the sites want to be.

Once it gets to the 3* level and below, most of the players listed haven’t been watched by the recruiting gurus all that much, if at all. Who’s to say any of the classes that you listed are better or worse than the other. Only way we’ll know is with what happens on the field. I don’t have data, but I’ve seen a number of guys go to G5 schools and become stars in the end. Sure, it’s probably more of a crapshoot than the 4* and 5* percentages are, but there are also a lot more 3* and below out there to choose from and there just aren’t enough people to watch every play or every player to make an accurate report of all the players out there.

In the end, it matters how much you trust your coaches because they are the ones watching the video (hopefully) and out on the recruiting trail paying attention to the guys they are recruiting and the developing those guys. Hopefully, we have the right guys in place right now, but the jury is still out.

2 Likes

We’ve had this discussion; I’m telling you what I know. You can believe whatever you want to believe.

Yes, recruits leave when coaches leave, I don’t disagree, and they have every right to do what they want as it’s their life and they should feel comfortable wherever they go considering that they are locked in once they sign that paper. Coaches should be held to the same standard and forced to serve out their contract or have to sit out a year, or give notice, if they take another job. Even most business have non-compete clauses in their contracts.

In the end, I thank him for what he did in 2015 and also beating OU and Louisville the following year. I thank him for being able to touch a nerve and bringing excitement back to UH football after the Levine years. It was a fun ride and he got us there. I’ll even give him credit for the recruits he brought in that one year because I think they’ll be a huge reason we’ll do well this year. However, we had a huge opportunity in 2016 and his actions set this University back because of his selfishness. He then left with very little class and professionalism towards the school that gave him his break. Look at how Scott Frost left UCF and then compare it to how he left.

As far as rooting against him now…I always root against the Horns. They could have Mother Theresa coaching them and I’d root against them every game.

6 Likes

I always found contracts at the college level to be very strange. In the pros, a contract is more of a non-competitive clause since there is only one pro league per sport in football, basketball and baseball. At least no pro league that is near the same competitive level that is. In college, I don’t understand why colleges have to add a buyout clause. If a school can’t fire a coach for a terrible performance without paying the remainder of a contract or negotiating a buyout, then why are coaches just allowed to leave to take another at the same level? Colleges might as well just pay coaches a yearly salary instead. At the end of the year, give them a performance review and then negotiate terms of next year’s salary and bonuses. Is it the coaches’ union keeping colleges from paying salary instead?

1 Like

Where was all of this master motivation stuff and highly ranked recruits when UH went 5-3 and finished 3rd in the AAC West in 2016? Sure, he beat Louisville and OU but he could not motivate them to beat SMU (1 of 3 AAC wins!!!), Navy and Memphis?

At the end of the day, I don’t know if it is worth debating which of two coaches who went 7-6 last season and could not finish above 2nd in the AAC West or 4th overall in the Big XII is the best motivator / recruiter. Both had losses to Texas Tech at home – a .500 team who only beat Kansas, Baylor and Texas after beating UH. The jury is out on both.

4 Likes

Schools are willing to give the multi year contracts so they happen. It has nothing to do with unions. They don’t have to add buyout clauses either. They choose to.

Also, the buyouts work both ways. If either wants put of the contract, they have to pay up. A school could do a one year contract if they wanted. They wouldn’t get a very good coach though.

Master motivator may be a stretch. That said, Herman has had more success as an OC and a HC at this point. The jury is still out on both but at different levels.