Red & White Scrimmage

I knew Grimes would be a floor general. All his video from Kansas indicated he’s the first to charge the battle lines. The fact that he’s big and athletic bodes well for the team as a whole because I don’t see him getting feeble 25 minutes into the game.

Very good news about Sasser. Most of us had him projected as a deep backup to Mills to start the season.

Also very pleased that this team is already being challenged to be physically tough. Exactly what I expect from Sampson.

2 Likes

For those there did Sasser look “natural” at the point? I’m just wondering if Nate will take a point forward/tall guard roll when Deeky is out or Sasser is looking like the true backup point.

On that topic any of the other combo guards look like they could run the point? PG is huge in CKS system and we graduated a great one.

1 Like

I counted every seat with a white paper on it indicating it was open for purchase. I counted 109, but I didn’t go up and count sections 102, 103, or 104. But I was told there were only a couple of singles up there.

Men’s hoops twitter deleted this tweet with the box score but not before I saved it. You’ll have to open it and zoom in.

1 Like

Gorham looks like a real leader! He does so many things well, very good off. rebounder. He also plays tough defense. Mills is the quickest player on the floor! I agree with what was posted earlier about how Caleb has a knack for driving in traffic & still get up a good shot. Grimes was trying to get feel for the game early on, but he has all sorts of talent before you knew it he had put up a lot of points.

2 Likes

they deleted it because of a type…they said grimes had 24 points… he had 17…his jersey number was 24

1 Like

Every time I looked at Sasser I thought I was watching an NBA player. His body does not look like a freshman. I doubt he will run point ever but he can be a 3D supreme from the get go.

Jarreau
Sasser
Grimes
Nate
Gorham or Alley

Would love to see that lineup for a bit. Maybe they get killed on the glass, but they could switch every screen and all of them could shoot 3’s.

3 Likes

sasser looked more like a shooting guard than point on offense, his handles and passing was passable but nothing game changing…he ran the point and brought the ball down but grimes was kinda running the offense when he got down…likely have to improve his handles and passing some before he is a more natural point

4 Likes

This is why we need Grimes waiver granted. A leader and he has presence. Team scrimmaged with sky high intensity. If we can somehow get a sprinkling of Galen leadership, watch out !!

Can’t wait Go Coogs!!

3 Likes

41 and 0 BABY !!!

5 Likes

Any rumors as to when we might know about Grimes’ waiver?

If you go to the video clip thread and watch the last clip, which includes the other two clips, you will find that the reason Nate didn’t play tonight (and won’t play in Italy) is because he is recovering form mono. CKS said the doctors cleared him Saturday, but CKS doesn’t want to take any chances and is holding him out for those games. He will take the trip and do the assignments to earn the 3 credit hours that all players are doing.

CKS is very honest about what is going on and doesn’t deal in normal coach speak.

2 Likes

Very entertaining scrimmage and happy to see them come out of it healthy. Had a few tough falls and Sasser looked like he was trying to play through a muscle strain the last couple min.

Like Sampson said tonight was not the time to formulate opinions on what this is going to be so nothing was going to make or break what I think for the season.

It was just nice to see the team out there rather than having to wait another 3 months.
Everyone played but Hinton who is still recovering from being sick but he was dressed out and supporting from the bench.

As I would expect, the defense is ahead of the offense but could see some flashes of really good ability and felt the team work was there.

My first thought is what fun we are going to have watching Jarreau and Mills attack the basket.

Gorham does remind me some of Devin Davis with more range on the shot.
Of course nice seeing Alley drain a few threes and mid range jumper. Still a great weapon to have on defense being able to switch everything but I can also say the same thing with Gresham and Hinton.
Grimes has the look of a player still trying to feel comfortable with his new team. Sbot was off some tonight and had a few turnovers but did hit 8 of 10 from the line and made a huge 3 at the end. Looks explosive in transition and can finish above the rim.
For Sasser and Roberts it was their first time in front of a UH crowd. Sasser drained his first 3 and made a nice put back towards the end.

Much like last season it took good plays from the offense to score. Everything was challenged and lots of blocks. Harris had some good ones but my favorite was Mills blocking a corner 3 attempt by Cameron Tyson.
The best thing to take away watching them is seeing the culture. They play hard, smart and are supportive of their teammates

Adding a few comments from this thread.
I counted 48 on the side opposite of the clubs
Harris has a better release this season but his first 4 FTs he tightened up during the game.
Hit 2 of 6 including 1 big one towards the end for a 3 point lead.
Grimes didn’t handle the ball or shoot it all that well but no reason to make too much about it. He made some good plays to help his team win down the stretch

Team will practice Tuesday, travel Wednesday and play Friday.

2 Likes

Appreciate everyone’s writes up!!!

Sounds like Roberts may need a redshirt and Sasser is proving rankings don’t always matter.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1158562530408697856

3 Likes

One hour plus . . . . . trip from SW of Houston to UH. Over an hour in 6:00 traffic . . . . . was well worth the trip . . . . .

5 Likes

Caleb Mills clearly benefited from playing a semester with last year’s group. His defensive intensity and willingness to drive to the hoop were pleasant surprises.

The Sasser to Corey comparisons are good ones. He has a super compact shooting motion like Corey. Similar defensive intensity as well.

Even on what is obviously a very talented and athletic team, you can tell Grimes has a skill set nobody else on this team possesses, in addition to a super high basketball IQ.

Overall though, Sampson said it best when he spoke to the crowd before everything started: if you read too much into this scrimmage you don’t know much about the sport

3 Likes

No one’s reading too much into it but you can surmise a little based on previous season’s progressions based on things.

My neighbor went and he said to get ready for a lot of conference honors for Mills.

So the early consensus is Gorham, Nate, and Jarreau start?

If Grimes gets approved does that change? Or would it be Grimes, Jarreau, Nate, Gorham and…?

3 Likes

White

Getting the right combinations together has as much to do with it than anything.

I can see Mills and Gorham coming off the bench. Alley can go either way.
Gresham or Harris can go either way.
I expect Jarreau, White and Hinton to start because I think they will be big min players.

1 Like