Remembering Robert Newhouse

Great Cougar. He was a fantastic running back for UH.

1 Like

Childhood hero of mine.

Loved to listen to him on the radio broadcasts back in the Run & Shoot era.

1 Like

In 2014.

2 Likes

He should have won the Heisman after his 1,757 yard season.in 1971.

1 Like

Oh man… I am so embarrassed. For some reason the headline came across my desktop yesterday and I spaced it. Regardless. it is good to remember him.[quote=“GoUH70, post:14, topic:7608, full:true”]
I first saw Robert Newhouse in the 1969 Bluebonnet Bowl against Auburn
He looked great in that game although Jim Strong was the RB hero of the game
[/quote]

test

1 Like

No worries, don’t be embarrassed. Everyone makes mistakes, including me. You are 100% right. It is great to remember him.

Yeah, don’t be embarrassed. This comes up every year and some social media source will post it and then others will share it.

https://twitter.com/CoachTeykl/status/894170597244227588

1 Like

Back in the day, college all stars played against the defending Super Bowl champs in a preseason exhibition. See:

In 1972, Newhouse was the only college all-star RB to do anything on the ground vs his future team, the Dallas Cowboys. He gained 48 yards on 7 carries, and scored the all-stars’ only TD.

2 Likes

Cougar Red wrote - Childhood hero of mine. Loved to listen to him on the radio broadcasts back in the Run & Shoot era

Red - Didn’t Robert Newhouse play on CBY teams which ran the Veer and not Run and Shoot?

1 Like

Yes. He played in the early 1970s. After he retired from football, he provided commntary on the Cougar radio network during the run and shoot era.

2 Likes

Red - Thanks for the clarification on Robert providing commentary on the radio.

I first saw Robert Newhouse in the 1969 Bluebonnet Bowl against Auburn
He looked great in that game although Jim Strong was the RB hero of the game

1 Like

I remember “Gator” when he was on the freshman team in '68. It was obvious then that the youngster was very underrated and heading for great things at UH…outside of Paul Gipson I think Newhouse had the biggest tree trunks for legs I have ever seen on a player.
Newhouse was a quiet and easy going guy until you put a football in his hands. As the story goes coach Yeoman became aware of the talented back when a bread man from Halletsville came to town with a film. Yeoman watched the film and the rest is history.
No doubt Gator was one of the greatest running backs we have ever had here…

2 Likes