Road post game presser for Coach Sampson

I hope this link works correctly: Houston HC Kelvin Sampson Post-USF press conference - YouTube

I found some of the comments particularly interesting - specifically about the effect of no home games on a Saturday.

There was a discussion about the 3:30 mark that seemed to be an erudite discussion of pick and roll defense and strategies and counter strategies that I found very interesting.

Mostly, though just happy to have a road presser

9 Likes

I absolutely LOVE his pressers.

4 Likes

I appreciate you posting the link. I enjoy CKS’s pressers as well. I wish the UH Athletic Department did more to promote the post-game and weekly press conferences for both FB and MBB. I’m constantly scouring YouTube, Twitter, FB, etc. to hear what our coaches have to say.

3 Likes

I agree with you - I have to give credit to the 247 coog site - which posted this and then I found it on YouTube - but seems crazy, as you note, that UH Basketball Twitter did not make it available.

The Sampson pressers mix “stand up routine” (even while sitting) with really intelligent insights. They have become part of the game experience that is great fun.

3 Likes

No question that Sampson really “gets it” as far as promoting his team, the university, the conference, etc. I’m sure both President Khator and Chris Pezman appreciate every time CKS sits down in front of the cameras or calls in to a national radio show. With Coach Sampson you always get a little bit of wit and wisdom.

2 Likes

He always claims to not know what our record is. What’s with that?

2 Likes

Jedi Mind Trick.

5 Likes

With respect to the no Saturday home games, I get that he doesn’t control conference scheduling but I thought he made his own schedule for OOC. Who is scheduling the OOC for him then?

It’s a way of reminding everyone how good it is!

1 Like

Thanks for the link. Love his pressers. Calling out Mills and Hinton (deservedly so), tough love approach- priceless.

1 Like

Thank you … we shoot about 50 % from the field , mainly cause we get three chances each time … he will have these boys shooting better by March …

His Monday night radio shows are the most entertaining hour of my week. It’s worth the hellish drive for me to get over there.

I listened to the most recent one (the one for Monday 2/10/20) and found his answer to a question from the crowd very intriguing - essentially the questioner posed the question asked often on this board - “Coach - you have one senior next year departing - but 5 newcomers to welcome (along with the nine (9) guys now getting playing time. How are you going to keep all of these excellent players happy.” I am interested in how you understood his answer if you remember the interchange. I understood him to say something to the effect - happy? not my worry - it is an honor to play basketball for the UH. I also got the impression that he was being coy about having spots for all - but seemed to have a plan.

Going to be fun to watch … we have some serious studs coming in …

I think his complaint is specifically limited to conference scheduling.

3 Likes

Maybe. But if it’s that important, why schedule 0 Saturday home games in OOC?

there are a host of reasons - principally that the UH plays most of their OOC pre January games at home and travel to and fro is not nearly the same issue - little things like playing at Rice versus out of state travel, length of time between games is different OOC also are factors. I do agree with your point that mayhaps the scheduling should have worked a Saturday game in somewhere - so we fans don’t forget college basketball is often played on that very day of the week.

He knows. He wants people to tell it to him. #MindGames

Is there a link to these Monday pressers? Thanks a bunch.

VanCoog,
Go to the UH site and go to All Acess live and On Demand audio is free.

Love your area of the world but nice to be here locally with our Coogs.