Rockets and Sampson

The Rockets are going to have plenty of great options if they move on from MDA. I don’t see Tilman making that move. He seems like he cares at least a little how folks perceive him and obviously cares a lot about UH. I don’t think he’s going to want to risk having the Coog fanbase turn on him when Sampson is totally unproven at that level anyways.

The way I could see this being a stronger possibility is if another team like the Spurs or something look poised to hire CKS.

3 Likes

The NBA is unwatchable for me. I don’t identify with the players nor the game. The no defense style is incredibly boring.

6 Likes

I think some of you guys wake up in the morning looking for things to upset yourself.
Sampson will be 65 in Oct, the start of the next NBA season.

6 Likes

Tilman actually ‘stealing’ Sampson from UH to coach the Rockets would be the most hypocritical thing of all time. Remember how passionate Tilman was about preventing UH coaches from getting stolen.

7 Likes

I have a wife that wakes up every morning trying to think of things to worry about. Some people are like that.

6 Likes

You’re not alone…look at the ratings over the last few years.

I can’t remember the last time that I watched even a few minutes of an NBA game. The regular season is pointless and the playoffs drag on way too long.

I only watch college basketball. The games and play style is much more exciting, intense, and diverse.

3 Likes

So you havent watched a minute of an Nba game but yet your making a statement of how bad it is? If you just like college athletics thats understandable but if you think college ball is better basketball I dont get it. College ball is still playing like its the 90s. Bad refs, a lot of bad coaching and awful shooting percentage.

1 Like

I’m not quite sure why anyone would “follow” the Rockets. Their seasonable outcome is predetermined.

Since the '94 and '95 championships, they’ve gone to the playoffs 16 times! And haven’t even made the NBA Finals. Even though they’ve had a boatload of “stars” come through and play they have essentially done no better than the Knicks. That’s monumentally bad.

Granted, the Oilers and Texans combined have gone to the playoffs 18 times and never made the Super Bowl. haha

2 Likes

So you’re saying the we should be bandwagon fans and root for whoever wins? Should we not be UH fans? We havent won very many conference championships in this era. I guess if your from Houston and love your teams you would follow the Rockets. I realize that there are plenty of out of town Coogs here who have different loyalties at the pro level.

1 Like

I’ve watched enough in prior years, and I’ve seen enough highlights and read enough to see that it hasn’t changed much.

The NBA has plenty of bad refs, bad coaching, and awful shooting percentage too. It’s also part of my rapidly declining interest in pro sports.

2 Likes

The NBA hasn’t changed in 30 years. Didn’t Like it then, don’t like it now.

If it is your thing, no problem.

1 Like

Do what you want to do! 'Not saying how you or anyone else should do anything. 'Just saying IMHO it’s a Sisyphean task…a lost cause…and I don’t quite understand it given the long history of failure.

I’ve always struggled with the pejorative of “bandwagon fans.” God isn’t handing out purple hearts or providing do-overs to fans who stuck with their team for 80 years of absurdly incompetent and heartbreaking production.

Follow and support whomever makes you happy - at whatever level makes you or anyone else happy. Admittedly, my perspective has evolved over the years.

Incidentally, I like how that number of failed playoff runs equals 34. haha

1 Like

According to that logic UH has been monumentally bad since we have not made it to a Final the past 2 years.

There are plenty of reasons not to like the NBA, but it is a drastically different game than it was 30 years ago.

1 Like

Yes, the players and owners make a lot more money.

1 Like

Only first and second year players get traveling in the nba. If you get to the all-star game three times you don’t have to dribble anymore.

3 Likes

Morpheus: what if I told you Bill o’Brien and Dantoni are the same coach, philosophy-wise?

They should have left the Rockets on Channel 20 and NBC for the Bog Games. I don’t have cable, so I never know when they are coming on unless I have radio on 790 am when I leave work. This cable thing is killing my NBA love, even though I am still a Rockets fan.

1 Like

Rockets blow 16 pt 4th Qtr lead. Fertitta on phone rn with CKS. He was sitting next to Rudy T at game so may ask him first.

1 Like

I think there are other options and CKS should be consulted. CKS would make a very good executive for the Rockets when his coaching days are over. Man knows both college and pro ball better than most.

3 Likes