Running Game Pros and Cons

If we have to audible to a pass, we better shift him to shotgun and not have him drop back. They say he’s 5-11, but they(coaches) are being extremely generous(probably 5’9 and 1/2). If King has to drop back he’s won’t be able to see the LB’s right away. That’ll slow his reads. That’s been the knock on smaller QBs in the NFL; it’s nearly impossible to put them under center and you have to constantly move the pocket to create throwing lanes for them.

If we don’t have a true #3 receiver next year (assuming Lark and Corbin will be the X and Z) we should put two TE’s on the field to run the ball. Thoughts?

Tulsa hasn’t been a guaranteed win for some time in my opinion. Can anyone explain what happened to them this year? How do you only win 2 games with D’angelo Brewer?

Agreed. I think they had injuries across the board. I think they’ll be less tough next year. I haven’t looked at their depth chart, but they have one the best O-Line in the AAC. It’s hard to do that without upperclassmen. I’m willing to bet they lose some pieces there as well.

From my playing days in another era, QBs would audible into a sneak not out of it. If you aren’t under center, even if the play is there you can’t take advantage.

With King’s quickness, I would let him audible a QB sneak anytime he sees it’s there, but not from 5 yards back.

Talking about about 3rd and 4th and 1 or less situations only. Where we have decided we are running…he can QB sneak…as opposed to us going hurry up dive from shotgun. I agree re standard downs and 3rd and long etc…his height is issue. Not advocating changing offense…just not sure why can’t go under center to get a yard.

1 Like

I’ve seen plenty of college teams do it. We can. We “should”. Maybe it’s something CMA suggests in the QB meetings this Spring.[quote=“section230rocks, post:44, topic:10137”]
With King’s quickness, I would let him audible a QB sneak anytime he sees it’s there
[/quote]

We have to find more creative ways to use his quickness in general. Maybe an actual read-option and not the zone-read. Read-option with a TE lead blocking having the option of running (slow release) or blocking. That’s an RPO within an RPO. lol

We can run the whole offense from under center with only minor adjustments. Only plays that wouldn’t really work would be the bubble screens.

I think running even a few plays each game from under center would give opposing DCs so much more to prepare for, not just the plays we run from it but also all the plays we could run.

We need to runs those screens a little more, show the same look and have the receiver blocking dart down the sideline. That’ll make safeties and corners sitting in zone mind their own business. lol [quote=“section230rocks, post:47, topic:10137”]
think running even a few plays each game from under center would give opposing DCs so much more to prepare for, not just the plays we run from it but also all the plays we could run.
[/quote]

I agree. I think there needs to be a way to work in 6 plays. Going under center at midfield on 2 and 1 would confuse a lot of people.

Doing it in other situations, even if we shift out of it, would cause confusion too.

We ran read option with King vs USF in 2nd qtr…4th and 1 on our own 40, he should have handed to Car…DE gets him for -3. It was his first quarter at QB . USF wound up converting 2 fourth downs and scored their first TD. We were snake bit on 4th down for most part

To be clear, this really isn’t true. Especially in the passing game, the offense has structural advantages such that, barring a massive gap in talent, a good offense well-executed should beat a good defense similarly-executed more times than not. The offense can attack the entire field, the defense cannot defend the entire field.

That’s why you hear offensive coaches talking about taking what the other side gives them, while defensive guys don’t really say stuff like that. Defenses have to have weaknesses, offenses don’t.

Good analysis. I might add power spread is better in red zone close to goal line.

This can be any offense outside of the triple-option.
You don’t need the Air Raid type of offense to be explosive. That’s a common misconception. We gave up huge plays all year to teams that did not run the Air Raid.

The biggest advantage of the Power Spread is that there are multiple clear paths to victory – if the pass isn’t working, you can theoretically run the ball and vice versa. No matter what the defense is doing, you have an answer to it. The use of the H-back, in particular, allows an offense to show a lot of different looks with the same personnel, which the Air Raid doesn’t do.

Most of the things you mentioned as advantages to the Air Raid aren’t unique to the Air Raid. Every modern offense uses speedy slot receivers, and creates mismatches, and can take a lead.

Also, if you’re skeptical about the Power Spread’s ability to make a 3-score comeback, I’d like to point you to the 2015 Memphis game.

The biggest advantage to running an Air Raid scheme is also its biggest disadvantage – the Air Raid is excessively simple. Like, teach the whole playbook to your team in a weekend simple. While that means it’s easy to get a team to execute the Air Raid well, it also means that there’s very little advantage to running a pure Air Raid offense when you can just kinda take its greatest hits (Stick, Fly Sweep, Mesh) and throw 'em into whatever other offense you’re using.

And Ohio State/Penn State this year.

2 Likes

Great post! People would think we were #117 in total offense rather than #38. I did see a number of running plays this year that broke down not because offensive linemen were getting whipped but rather because . . . well, I’m not 100% sure, but I think that it was usually because a zone blocking scheme wasn’t executed properly. Probably was also the defense sitting on the run on a number of occasions. My sense is that if King actually gets good at making reads on the read option, the offense is going to be very potent. We’ll see.

1 Like

We’ll see. We have to also reload our entire right side of the offensive line. Nonetheless, a QB with nearly a year under his belt in starts means improvement all around, offensively.

Speaking of reloading, I really hope Fontana gets a medical redshirt, if he wants it. Eloph should be back and he should get a redshirt for this year, too.

Yeah, I think the OL should be pretty decent even with the loss of Oliver and Rodgers. They’ve got a JC with some AAC offers coming in to visit this weekend. Fair chance we’ll get him and he’ll step in like Jarve Dean did in '09, but we also have a backup plan (unless we plan to sign two juco OL) with a Mississippi JC OT. IMO, the left side is going to be really good. Josh Jones and Braylon Jones may both be drafted in 2020. Noble is back for his senior season, and then Eloph, Denley, Murphy, Wooten, Williams, Bardwell, and maybe Fontana will be available.

Saying you can just throw in Air Raid plays to any offense is like saying you can just throw in triple option plays. You may be able to run the plays but it’s unlikely you’ll run them well.

What made Case Keenum so great at UH? It’s not because he could complete high percentage passes. It’s because he could hit a receiver at full speed turning 3 yard plays for most QBs into 15+ yard plays.

Just like the triple option, you don’t get that kind of timing and execution just throwing the plays on top of another offensive scheme

1 Like