Running Game Pros and Cons

There it is. I was wondering how long it was going to take for this to happen. Coogfans never disappoint. The moment someone is unable to counter the points from a poster the default response is always to accuse the poster of being a family member or a coach.

3 Likes

Are you related to Manster? :wink:

2 Likes

Manster, i greatly enjoy your posts about player execution and coaching philosophy. Very precise and well thought out, and it seems clear to me you have some real time experiences that help the posts be as good as they are
Please keep em coming!

3 Likes

You are correct, I have never played or coached football. I grew up in Canada and we play hockey there. I played HS and double A hockey up there then I coached all levels including High school head coach. I started watching football here at UH. I can tell you that through repetition you learn plays. You will never have a play executed 100% perfect every time But the team that gets closest 100% when running their game plan will win unless there is a big talent gap then you just may not have a chance. In my opinion the difference btw good coaches and bad coaches is how well they can motivate their players to execute the game plan. Our Offensive side of the ball is below average and I feel a different OC staff or maybe even just OC would produce better results from the same players.

As far as pull teeth. Well you can teach a monkey to pull teeth you just better hope nothing goes wrong or you are S.O.L. :slightly_smiling_face:

Dentist
My nephew calls me to pull all his baby teeth, trusts me ahead of his father but that’s my limit.

I agree that the offense left something to be desired. I really haven’t reviewed that side of ball too thouroghly except for some keys 4th down fails and some red zone turnovers. I can speak more to defense side as it’s what I gravitate towards and enjoy dissecting and have watched every down several times.
Regarding the offense
we had a problem early in year with center snap in shotgun. Noble is experienced guy performing a basic job. He snapped about 3 I can remember on the ground that caused us to have turnover or lose points in red zone. My opinion is that’s on Noble. He practices it every day and I’ve got to assume he does it pretty well or coaches would play someone else as can’t do anything until snap is executed.
Postma threw a lot bad interceptions, most into double coverage . So my view is this
no OC or QB coach tells his quarterback to throw into double coverage. Most pass plays have a check down throw or you throw it away. But Postma continued to throw deep into double coverage . I’m gonna give CMA and Johnson the benefit of the doubt that they have watched plenty of film with him
it’s their job
and reviewed his mistakes. Where you and I disagree is that if it doesn’t get better, it has to be on the coach. Players don’t always get better. And coach might lose his job for it
but it doesn’t mean the player wasn’t coached and coached correctly. The good or great ones can do it “when the lights come on”. Also my intent here is not to bash Postma
he made good plays too and showed a lot of guts
like scrambling for 28 yards on 3rd and 30 vs Memphis, converting 4th down, and we scored a TD. But his TO’s kept us from putting games away or flipped the momentum like vs Tulsa.
Play calling on the other hand has nothing to do with the players. But they need be looked at individually to see if the coaches call gave the players a chance to execute or if they were at a numbers disadvantage etc and had low odds to succeed.
For instance , we ran a lot WR screens, some very successful and some for losses. Most of the time the failures were due to the WR who was blocking getting beat. When it’s not blocked right
it looks like a bad call but when Bonner makes a guy miss and gains 12 we say great call. If it fails because they have more defenders than we have blockers well that’s another story and coach issue.
Getting long here
most offensive plays are base plays
that team will run many times. Most defense calls are base calls. These matchups come down to individual matchups and who wins them.
So if Ed Oliver blows up the center and makes a tackle for a 4 yard loss it doesn’t mean the play design was bad.

CDentist: Football must appear to be played in slow motion to you, compared to ice hockey. I confess I don’t know another sport played at such speed and wanton physical carnage. At that speed I can’t believe coaching has that much influence on execution. Hell, they don’t have time to hesitate, turn, dance, spin, or look stupid. CD, you may have spent too much time on the ice!:slight_smile:

So are you going to recommend an ice hockey OC for us, now?:smile:

It looks chaotic but I promise you most of the situational stuff is planned. Breakouts, power plays, 5v5, 3 on 2, two man cycle, three man cycle, “dump and chase”. The easiest to see is to watch the way a team brings it out of their end. You also cycle your lines to create different match ups. Control the puck in the offensive zone not allowing the other guy to change lines while you change yours and get some fresh legs on the ice. Anyway, maybe we can get a NCAA hockey team and then I can provide the manster type feedback. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Good stuff. Hang in there.

Not always on the coaches. If a kid whiffs on a block that he “mastered” in practice, that’s not on the coaches. Sometimes players on any college team (not just UH) are not very good. Some fans have a harder time accepting that, but it’s the truth. The term “coachable” gets thrown around a lot. For good reason. I will say, it’s on the coaches for a bad eval. Evidently, every player who comes here is believed ready to play. If they aren’t, then it’s an eval issue, if they’re not “coachable”.

2 Likes

We whiffed so many times that it’s definitely a coaching issue.

1 Like

See above analysis on which position/coach our troubles could be related to.