Sampson is not only a HOF coach, he is a HOF dude

Kelvin Sampson reflects on his time at Montana Tech (406mtsports.com)

He is just a good dude. He doesn’t forget where he came from. He still helps Montana Tech.

Just a good dude.

3 Likes

He needs a NC on his resume!

4 Likes

Yes, agreed. I think he gets a couple before he retires.

1 Like

2 in 5 years!?

I think he hangs it up in the next five. Maybe five exactly.

He just doesn’t seem like someone who wants to work until he’s almost 80.

I’ve heard too many stories about being on the last lap and that lake house in NC.

This year and next.

3 Likes

I’ve thought for a while he retires when he turns 70 – Oct 2025. So I thk he coaches 2 more yrs after this one n calls it a day in Spring of 2026.

1 Like

I hope he retires no earlier than 73.

It’s behind the paywall, but solid article. Glad to see the Athletic finally writing stuff about us.

Also, was prepared for the onslaught of mad Indiana fans, but this is the only comment from one.

7 Likes

Almost all of the coaches with four Final Fours are in the Hall. Billy Donovan is a notable exception. Sure to be inducted relatively soon I would imagine. The other is an old timer named Harold Olsen.

About half of the coaches with three Final Fours are in the Hall. Including 100% of the minority coaches with three: John Thompson and Nolan Richardson.

Notably not in the Hall with three: Joe B Hall, Ben Howland and Steve Fisher (who had two vacated).

Lots of coaches with less than three are already in: Lou Carnesecca, Ray Meyer, John Chaney, Al McGuire, Ralph Miller, Gary Williams, Gene Keady and Lefty Driesell to name a few.

I don’t know much but I do know that Kelvin Sampson is the best basketball coach in the country. Period. You could argue this with me but you’d be wrong.

7 Likes

No recent Nattys would be the only thing against him, but you certainly won’t get any arguments from me.

Yes, we need national championships to make sure CKS doesn’t wait too long.

He will get the Natty.

2 Likes

I love this optimism 51. I’m on the wagon. Let’s go!!

1 Like

I believe this to be correct…

1 Like

Not as much as I do even though I don’t have a résumé. :sunglasses:

Edit: I’ll probably write a whole new one just to put NC in the Education section even if all I’ll do with it is frame it.