SBNation reporting Applewhite will be fired

LINK TO ARTICLE

Citing multiple sources. Also discusses the Holgorsen rumor.

6 Likes

That would really surprise me… after winning two season … WOW. This would also explain Briles GTFOH move…

1 Like

Christmas on Tuesday?

6 Likes

Acres,

Two VERY uninspired, underwhelming seasons. We are HOUSTON and went from considered an annual top 25 team to a tam no one talks about. Tough to recruit good kids to a team that loses three low level bowl games.

Remember, Tony Levine had winning seasons too…

5 Likes

We went through this with Holgerson two years ago. No way he is interested in coming here. He simply wants a raise like in 2016 and he is using UH for leverage. He was one game away from the Big 12 championship game and had them ranked pretty highly this year. When was the last time a successful P5 coach downgraded to G5? Has it ever happened voluntarily?

2 Likes

I really think UH needs to do this at this point in time. There is too large a segment of the UH fan base that can’t stand him, justified or not. The fan base has spoken.

I think Holgerson is a total douche, but whatever puts butts in seats.

2 Likes

Regardless of how plausible the Holgorsen thing is, Major is done. You don’t go coach-shopping without firing a coach and bring the old coach back. Especially if it leaks to the media.

7 Likes

Holgorsen is a self-absorbed playboy coach just like Switzer was. But he’s the brightest offensive mind we had outside of Bill Yeoman. Who knows what his mind (loins) are telling him.

On the point of interest I’ve donated my valuable time as the clarion call to defeat mediocrity. It is a dreadful disorder and it strikes one in every three Coog fans. If Renu is taking steps to defeat it then I applaud her humanitarian efforts.

2 Likes

I haven’t been the biggest Major fan… but if they’re doing this just for a shot at Dana we’re only messing up the situation further.

4 Likes

Holgorsen was the best interview (x2) that I ever did, the guy is fun to talk to.

2 Likes

In the AAC you don’t get screwed by refs making sure UT wins. Plus Houston over Morgantown. Dana is just a better fit here.

4 Likes

Holgerson would definitely help Pez sale tickets. He would have some really good talent to work with on offense and have the benefit of using what he learned at WV to build his staff and program here. Yes please!!!

2 Likes

Applewhite being fired, I understand. Holgorsen being hired would be a massive mistake.

I think ticket sales would double, and we would tick up in recruiting. a true “splash” hire.

2 Likes

Why? It’s not like Les Miles.

I disagree. He’s one of maybe three O-minded coaches I would wholeheartedly support.

1 Like

Worse than retaining Apple?

Not possible, IMO.

5 Likes

Wow! Didn’t think I would be reading all this hate on Holgorsen. I would be extremely happy if we could get him. Think it would be a home-run hire,

13 Likes

Yes we did. But his current situation in WVU is much differnt than it was in 2016. Im not convinced WVU would be willing to extend his current deal at the current amount—much less give him raise after 2 more seasons where the fans feel he under performed. 2016 was supposed to be the year it all paid off. Next year is actually expected to be a down year due to roster graduations.

3 Likes

Whose hating. He’s a playboy. Is that a crime?

Signed,
Ray Liotta