SFA vs Duke

Great win.

…double checks schedule…

Thank goodness they are not on our schedule.

I hope they get ranked next week.

4 Likes

This IS why the P5 will never allow G5 in playoffs. All it takes is one G5 ready to Mop Alabama or Ohio State face up, and the AAC, or Mountain West, etc. have the NC. 5 G5 NCs by same school = Blue Blood Status in Football…(Texas) and that is not allowed.

2 Likes

I hear you but it is the exact reason they should. This country just loves it and tunes in to watch it. The thought of an Alabama getting knocked out by a G5 would be ratings gold.

Dang, Dang, Dang…missed the game and intended to watch it. Congrats SFA

You have got to love college basketball. Anything can happen. Chaminad over Ralph Sampson’s Virginia. SFA v Duke.

Maybe Mr. Fertitta could work on a double header at Toyota Center next year:
SFA vs. Duke
UH vs. N.C. State

1 Like

Anyone could win it this year. The amount of talent on this years Coog team could do it if it comes together at the right time.

2 Likes

That SFA defence looked like the Coogs last year. Shut down. Many times Duke could not even get a shot off before the shot clock expired or they turned it over.

SFA is a well coached team and has great senior leadership…I looked at their schedule and the only team that they have left in non conference that is decent is at Alabama.
It has to be one of SFA’s all time greatest victories, but understand Evansville can say the same about their victory at Kentucky.
Kentucky and Duke show how building a very young team can have its bumps…so we Coog fans should not be shocked when our young team is struggling at times.
Don’t want to take anything away from a great Lumberjack victory, but they better hope they don’t get Duke in the NCAA tourney…

Too soon.

1 Like

Apparently SFA pulled the biggest regular season upset in 15 years

It was also Duke’s first OOC home loss in the 21st century

“It could be an eon before we again see a mid-major team defeat a No. 1-ranked school on the road by making two 3-pointers or fewer, but that’s what SFA did. Two! And it pounded and pushed for 64 of its 85 points in the paint. Stephen F. Austin came into the game as the second-best turnover defense in the country (31.4%) and bested itself”

The real question is… has the ut AD (old kiss-up himself) contacted the SFA head coach and made him an offer ?

1 Like

Both of my brothers went to SFA they really used to have a great basketball program James Silas played there They had a seven footer named George Johnson. I’ve Never had so much fun watching a BB game! And that includes UH Louisville.

Just a matter of time…

You obviously weren’t in attendance at the Final Four in Albuquerque in 1983. That year, the UH vs Louisville game was the most exciting game game in Final Four college BB history in so far as the game being played above the rim by both teams. There has never been another college BB game quite like it and probably never will be (after the addition of the 3 point line.)

1 Like

Small world - I just ran into former starting PG Alvin Franklin from UH’s 1983 Phi Slama Jama team in my local Kroger Store on Jones Road @ Cypress North Houston this evening.

4 Likes

I expected the Coogs to beat Louisville… and that was the difference. Never thought SFA would be Duke. The Louisville game… yea it put the Coogs into the Finals and was a one of kind dunkfest. But not withstanding the game two days later against State, the SFA upset was a tremendous event against Goliath.

1 Like

Not a Duke fan at all and I have relatives who are SFA grads but after looking at the replays the Lumberjack who got the final layup absolutely double dribbled just after receiving the pass. It is amazing he got away with it at their place…not trying to take away from the win, but the kid had both hands on the ball…I would love to replace some of our early games with teams like SFA and Sam Houston…Texas State will also be a formidable foe Wednesday night…

But that was an “Angels in the Outfield” moment. Double dribble wasn’t going to be called and the clock wasn’t going to go off before the ball went into the basket. His gofundme account went from some 2 thousand to 150 thousand that will be used to restore a church, a school and assist many other victims of the hurricane.