Should Sampson be forced to make staff moves after this season?

We’ve had four NCAA tourney appearances in 30 years and only one in the past 20 years. Can we at least get to the tourney first before expecting a perennial tournament team?

CKS is in year 3 of having to build a program from the ashes of what James Dickey left it in; for him to make the NIT in year 2 and be right there for an NCAA/NIT berth again in Year 3 is impressive. Again, he’s in Year 3 folks and has had 2 of the best 3 seasons we’ve had in the past 20 years.

It has? We don’t even have a new arena yet, but we’ve currently got the 68th best recruiting class this year according to 247 and this class may not be done yet. That’s twice in the last 3 years that CKS has pulled in a top 75 class. Again, these are the only 3 years CKS has coached. We also would have gotten a Top 75 class last year if Jarrett Allen had committed.

I hope CKS retires at UH.

1 Like

We shouldn’t bad mouth each other. It’s fine to agree to disagreed. I’m just proud of our bb fan base showing so much passion, even if its only a 100 of us lol…go coogs

100 might be generous.

But that’s the glass ceiling I am referring to. In C-USA that would have been OK because that would give us the second or third best class in the conference. We are now in a legitimate basketball conference now that is getting stronger year by year. A top 75 class doesn’t even put us in the top 5 in our conference. The new facilities being constructed and the plans for the arena update should have a bigger impact.

I guess we should just wait until after 4 or 5 years and talk about what should have been done in hindsight. Of course by then, if we talk about it, we get told it’s the past and time to move on.

1 Like

So players like Fabian White are our glass ceiling? And you say that because we’ve been stuck recruiting 4 star players for several years now?

2015’s class was better than 2014’s;
2016’s was better than 2015’s,
2017’s looks to be better than 2016’s.

I’m not seeing this ceiling you’re talking about…if there is one, we haven’t hit it yet.

1 Like

Just let the argument go. I don’t even know where you get this list of so-called 4 stars we have been recruiting. The recruiting class are suppose to be better than Dickeys last few years of CBIs. Especially with a new practice facility and the promise of an updated arena.

If you are happy that are best class in 3 years is still ranked 6th in the conference, good for you. You just aren’t going to convince me with all the recent upgrades that signing 3 star guards and forwards over and over is going to ever get us to the NCAA tourney with the current coaching staff.

1 Like

Tough to be justifiaby critical w the crackpot turds on here all over anyone who is just being rational bout out our HC. Anyone w 1/2 a brain can see he will be fired eventually & his time at UH an overt failure in retrospect to his salary & conference comparisons.

:confused:

Comparison to salary and conference finishes? Are you serious or was this sarcasm because I’m having a hard time distinguishing.

Sampson currently is ranked 6th out of 8 AAC coaches in terms of known salary. Ollie, Jankovich, Smith, Cronin, and Dunphy all make more. Only Dawkins and Antigua (now fired) were making less. Couldn’t find Dunleavy’s, Lebo’s, or Haith’s salaries, but there is a possibility that one or two of those three are making more, especially since Haith was making almost 400K more last year (private school info is hard to get though). And CKS just received his extension last year to raise his salary to $1.4M; he was making under $1M prior to it. So, at best he’s the 6th highest paid coach in the AAC; at worst, he’s the 9th highest paid coach.

And conference finishes:
2014-2015: 10th
2015-2016: 3rd
2016-2016: Tied for 4th (maybe 3rd if Tulsa loses to Cincy tonight) with 7 games to go

ESPN has F. White as a four star, and #24 at his position.

Never read so much whiny and delusional nonsense in one thread on Coogfans.

It appears to me that Sampson is building an excellent hoops program at UH. It’s likely that it will take a regular fill of 5,000+ fans in a renovated Fertitta Center to convince most top HS players in Texas to give UH a serious look without P5 status. That’s just a undeniable fact.

We should start with 1,000+ on-campus students at each and every home game on campus.

1 Like