SMU was left out of the CFP rankings. The AAC commissioner says it’s ‘ridiculous’

It is amazing how anywhere else this kind if set up would be hit with so many anti-trust lawsuits, yet because it is colleges it is given a pass. I think there is a chance that lawsuits start flying if OU and UT leave which leads to the destruction of the Big12. Teams like Baylor, TCU, and Kansas State will be left out and if it happens, then I could see lawyer alumns from those schools bringing lawsuits. It is going to take some of the universities being left out in realignment and having their share of the pie taken away for things to change.

1 Like

I meant when the opportunities had arisen in the past Monte. I’m fully aware of the GOR’s and that we can’t just do it tomorrow.

This is the most plausible to happen. Nobody wants to wait but I have faith in our leaders and that includes our HEAD COACH

2 Likes

Refusing to vote for CFP would have gotten us nothing. It wouldn’t have gotten us a better deal and probably would have removed the NY6 from the equation many if not most years.

You can’t bargain when you don’t have leverage.

I was really skeptical of the whole “P6” idea, but it’s part of a formula that has provided a little space between us and the rest of the G5.

“We want out of this conference and into a P5” is a statement that is both true and useless. We’re in the best conference situation we’ve been in since the breakup of the SWC. We need to look out for ourselves first and foremost, but except when we’re specifically angling for a new conference we should promote the one we’re in. Goofy P6 label and all.

3 Likes

I have four words for you:
**FBS DIV I FOOTBALL
It is made of 130 Schools. We can’t have it two ways. We either play FBS Div I or not? There is no in between. FBS Div 1.5 is effectively what has been done with the “force down your throat” creation of the cfp.
The leverage will happen when the cfp contract is up but when is it???
I quickly checked the collegefootballplayoffs.com site.
Frequently Asked Questions about the CFP - College Football Playoff

Aresco can NOWcomplain about SMU but he is one of the commissioners that voted for the cfp. He does not like anymore? Take them to court representing the AAC. Will he have the cojones to do it? You already know the answer.
Saban is not happy because his fans are not attending games. There are multiple factors causing a dip in attendance at Alabama. I ask you how the CFP is impacting the entire FBS Div I landscape? The cfp is making a quick buck. Enormous buck that is but what do you think will be the long term impact? Countless companies went belly up thinking that a shiny new contract would be great for them. They no longer exist. The cfp has “killed” by its creations the very essence of College Football. The cfp choose to exclude the G5’s while at the same time expect everyone of us to drink their cool aid. Should we lay down and accept it? Aresco has a choice. Either sue the cfp or shut the “123 up”.

The cfp creation has angered all G5’s fans. How is that for building the sport? You piss off your 150 years old audience and you expect us to just accept it? The media’s reaction to the G5’s fan’s angst tells you everything there is to know. You are 100% correct that we have to take care of ourselves. The problem is that every day that passes only fuels the growing disinterest toward College football. The cfp created this only them or some skillful lawyers/lawmakers can change it. Will they?

1 Like

I think litigation is the last resort. Mostly because we’re likely to lose. I don’t disagree with your assessment of the CFP, but I think at this point we keep making noise so that when/if they expand to eight they come up with a less bad system.

To do that, we need to be making the noise that Aresco is making. We also need to use the threat of a lawsuit, which we won’t have if we have already sued and lost.

If we sue them, and we lose, then it’s over. They can (and probably will) expand to 8 without us. They will probably reconfigure NY6 bowls for a “7th” bowl against two G5 programs. They may even start talking about reconfiguring basketball.

Re-configuring basket-ball is around the corner. That is the next step for the P5’s. Patrick pointed out Carl Lewis comments about T&F. Granted T&F is not the Final Four but it is ominous. I like your thinking parialex but we all know that expanding the cfp to eight Schools does not guarantee a G5 selection. You pointed it out. Since the cfp “HOSTILE TAKE OVER” the espn/CBS and FOS pundits have made the following point. “Even an undefeated G5 vs a one loss P5 School is not worthy of making the CFP” They even pushed it to a P5 with two losses. These pundits indirectly work for the P5’s.
The cfp will expand to eight. That is a given. There is too much money for the cfp to ignore. It will happen then what? This is imo why the cfp has not expanded the cfp yet. It is a chest game. On one hand the cfp wants to see what our (G5’s) move will be. I believe the P5’s are putting together a brokered deal to expand the NY Bowls to maybe two G5’s or guarantee a bigger financial reward. At the same time the P5’s will want in return an extension to the cfp. This will extend the cfp scam to invite only P5’s Schools. This will be the final nail in the coffin for the G5’s. Expect then countless FBS Div I programs to shut down. Ultimately imo the P5’s want a 16 Teams playoffs comprised of just P5’s.

1 Like