Soaring subsidies: UC’s four-year athletic deficit up to nearly $102 million

While i dont agree with taking 500 from each student I understand that if the students and the fans want a better product and more exposure we have to invest in ourselves and the easiest way to do that is through athletics. Which would bring more money but if we were getting paid more in our conference and all our teams would do well in bowl games we wouldnt be in a deficit position.

That being said it also shows how 12 stringed us along and had us investing in things we didnt need. (ex. The booklet we made to give for our inclusion in 12 or marketing).

The problem shouldnt be that the students dont want to attend games or that the coaches make more than the President as one of the people interviewed said. It should be instilling school pride in students to want to attend games and fill seats and teaching that the coaching position is a very volatile position to be in.

How is UCONN’s so freaking high? Gimpel arena sells out just about every game. Football albatross? Or no big donors paying Ollie’s salary?

This is from the other article about cost of recruiting. It says we are under our revenue which would mean we are + so is 500 still the number or is it a new number?

1 Like

Some of the costs are with the number of sports the departments are supporting:

UCONN: 22 sports
Cincy: 17 sports
Wichita State: 13 sports (no football)
Houston: 14 sports
Navy: 30 sports
ECU: 19 sports
USF: 17 sports
UCF: 16 sports

UCONN is basically spending like a large state University, but doesn’t have the fanbase to match the revenue needed. This is basically why they added football, but they need around 50K tickets sold to match what they are spending. It also doesn’t help that their men’s basketball team tanked under Ollie.

More than likely, they will probably have to cut some sports if they look to reduce costs.

2 Likes

I would have thought that all of the Big East refugees would have required big subsidies to make up for the loss of revenue, but that’s really only true for UConn and Cincinnati. USF appears to have made the transition quite well in comparison.

I am pretty sure there are $0 student costs at the military academies and with the stipend, they don’t even need to bring pizza money from home. So the Navy number is not a student cost, it’s a taxpayer subsidy. I’m cool with that.

3 Likes

UH has 35,995 undergraduate students and 7779 graduate students. I don’t know if grad students pay an activity fee. But $8,094,424 divided by 35,995 is $225 per student which is cheap. I paid $200 at LSU in 65-66 and 70-72. So our students should have no complaints.

Yes, they pay the students, not vice-versa.

One of the factors not mentioned is that UCONN and Cincy both charge students for tickets and are the only American Athletic Conference public schools that do so.

A bit strange that they charge for tickets and also ask for the largest fees from the students.

Please keep in mind, the UH yearly budget is 2 Billion.

It is also important to measure the impact of added revenue brought in by athletics when displaying these charts. Enrollment, donations, partnerships and additional connections are either created or enhanced via athletics.