Sort of OT: UH vs Baylor, history? Stories?

He also turned his head to the rampant steroid abuse. There was a strength coach named Fix there that encouraged it. They recruited tall skinny lineman and “bulked” them up.

1 Like

Baylor beat us bad when we had Mr. Draw, Draw, oh and another Draw punt coach.

Those teams had been in the SW for a long time with TT being the latest of the 3 to join. Baylor was a founding member in 1914 with TCU joinging in 1923. Those schools were highly regarded in the state, whereas UH was looked upon as a comuter school in a bad area of town. Having such a school beat UT with a black QB was horrifying to the UT elite.

They also know that those schools may be up from time to time, but will never threaten UT for any sustained period.

2 Likes

Bingo - you just hit on the real reason for whorn animosity toward the Coogs! Not only that, they were forced by UH to recruit and play black players in order to keep up with everybody else, especially in basketball, which bothered them even more.

I know we contributed nothing to the cost of building The Drum, but that building would never have been built if it were not for their effort to “keep up with the Coogs.” Same thing could be said for The Reed Arena in Collie Station.

3 Likes
  1. I don’t know that Texas does just care about UH beating them.

2. Texas had a black QB in ‘78, ‘79, and ‘80.

66-15 didn’t help them like us much either.

https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/88/ut-uh.htm#GAME.NEW

3 Likes

we beat them 30-0 in austin with a black quarterback in 1976

3 Likes

I think that has a lot to do with ut’s attitude about us. Every major city in the state has a ut at somewhere except Houston

2 Likes

Yes and Donnie Little and UT beat us in the Dome in ‘79 and cost us a shot at a National title. Beat us 21-13, our only loss of the year

1 Like

I wish UH would put those old games online so we could watch them again. I wonder where the old Bill Yeoman shows are too. Especially if we dont have a season.

4 Likes

Just wait - they intended to build one in Houston a couple of years ago, even bought the land for it - in a huge money-making scheme for one or more of their biggies. They still own the land, I think; and that UT-Houston WILL be built eventually. COUNT ON IT!

2 Likes

Let’s keep the delays going…!!!

1 Like

If I remember right, I think UT even tried to take over UH many years ago. If that had happened, we would be just like UTEP or any of the other UT’s other than the Great Satan over in Austin - be allowed to play sports, but always at a very low level.

So, now they seem to have gone to “Plan B”; just build another university in Houston to compete (read “eclipse”) UH!

2 Likes