Sort of OT: UH vs Baylor, history? Stories?

Hey!

A friend of mine at the Cow Farm is working on a comic/historical stuff about the SWC. With a focus on Baylor, they’re trying to see if UH and Baylor have any beef/stories between them, anything of the like. Please post.

Thanks!

Personally, I think Baylor is the evil empire. It doesn’t get more evil than covering up rape and murder.

3 Likes

When we got a commitment from the state’s top rated quarterback in Brazoswood’s David Hodge we lost a verbal commit to Baylor named Singletary.
Can anyone imagine how good we would have been with that pair?
Btw Hodge, if I remember correctly, picked us over Baylor

Baylor was never relevant until Briles…now they are back to being non-relevant

2 Likes

I met Mike Singletary sister back in the early 90s on the southwest side of town.

not an empire tho

2 Likes

True. The Evil Empire is Texas. Baylor is just Unbelievably Hypocritical University.

3 Likes

They won the SWC in ‘74 and ‘80. Finished #15 in ‘85, #12 in ‘86. They had bowl teams in 90s before joining Big 12. They were terrible their first 10+ in the new league.

True, but If I were him I would just tell his buddy they weren’t relevant

2 Likes

Grant Teaff was a decent coach and knew what it took to get really good players…

He ate worms better than anyone !!!

1 Like

Our first game as members of the SWC was vs Baylor in 1976. It was our first game of the season . It was televised and the starters from each team were featured before the kickoff announcing their position where they were from. I’ll never forget Danny Davis. He said something to the effect “I’m Danny Davis from Dallas Texas the home of the Cotton Bowl where I’ll be playing on New Year’s day”. Since we had just come off an abysmal 2-8 season, we were surprised by his brash comment. After we beat Baylor 23-5, we thought maybe we had a chance to be real good. Then we turned around and lost the next week at Florida 49-14 . We beat UT in Austin 30-0 (which I believe is part of why we haven’t and won’t ever get in the Big12), beat Maryland in the Cotton Bowl and finished ranked #4 in the country. We had our best recruiting class ever but UT put us on probation for signing Qb Darrell Shephard from Odessa which was a territory they owned.

3 Likes

I got Terry Teagle’s autograph when I was a little kid.

1 Like

My gf and I were on the student bus that made the trip for our first SWC game. (She was a student, I was an alum). Fun trip although I seem to recall the driver got lost in Waco which isn’t easy to do.

Unrelated to us v them… my next visit there was to see my son’s Cornhuskers play and the place was about 80% Nebraska fans. Driving around the stadium area before the game and all you saw was Nebraska tailgating. The Baylor band outnumbered their students. That was the year RGIII was hurt and folks up there lost interest.

I remember him. He was pretty good.

30-0, 66-15, 60-40, and 47-9 beat downs of UT is why we won’t be in the B12 as long as UT is in control.

5 Likes

Why does UT just care about when we beat them vs Baylor, Tech or Tcu beating them?

UT doesn’t care if we beat them anymore. They won’t play us.

1 Like

And, THAT is exactly WHY they won’t play us! Fine, with me!

3 Likes

We have something they can never have : Houston!

1 Like