Sources: Major Potential Shift In NCAA Transfer Rules

http://kansas.247sports.com/Article/Sources-Major-Potential-Shift-In-NCAA-Transfer-Rules-107001121

This might be beneficial to student athletes by giving them more freedom, but I’m concerned that G5 schools might become the next JUCOs.

Everything is geared at helping the P’s. this is just another way of keeping the G’s down.

We would be allowed to raid the Sun Belt and MAC just as much as the SEC and B10 would be allowed to raid us. Very interesting. I don’t think transfers within conferences should be allowed.

1 Like

Not necessarily. Keep in mind, there are a lot of players at schools like Alabama and Ohio State that went in expecting to start, and who are capable of starting at schools like Houston and Cincinnati. Let’s say there’s a RS Junior OT at Ohio State that’s not on track to graduate this year. He’s good – really good – but he’s competing with anywhere from 2-4 other guys with solid NFL potential. If he gets beat out at the position by anyone that’s not a Senior, his playing career is effectively over, even though there are schools like Houston out there where he could transfer and play immediately. With the new transfer rules, he can fill a need for those other schools that he couldn’t as of now.

I don’t think they will be. Most conferences have a rule against it, and that’s not going away any time soon.

2 Likes

I agree, I’d think some of the larger P5 programs would be terrified of something like this as they could lose a lot of their depth as more experienced players transfer out to other programs. I’d be very surprised if the P5 conferences actually vote to implement this because of that reason.

2 Likes

Totally agree…imagine if the D-line transfer from TCU (sorry, forgot his name) could start this year instead of waiting out a year. Came to Houston to be closer to his family. Houston is in a unique position as the hometown school for a lot of talent that leaves the state and may want to return home, for whatever reason. This move could benefit us greatly.

How do transfers currently affect scholarship limits? Does a school immediately regain a scholarship upon approval of a transfer? Along the same lines, I’m interested to know if they are contemplating a deadline to transfer. Surely they aren’t going to let kids transfer during the playing season. I would hope they have to make that decision by a certain date so it doesn’t screw up recruiting efforts and allocation of available scholarships. I would be very much in favor of a rule that allows kids to play immediately if they transfer by a certain deadline, but have to sit out a year if they don’t make that deadline.

I agree that this could both help and hurt G5 schools. There are rules preventing recruiting transfers until they’re released from their previous school currently, but I imagine a crazy amount of back-room negotiating will go on if the big-money programs realize they can get impact players immediately.

Bottom line, tho, if coaches can jump from one school to another immediately without repercussions, then the unpaid labor their livelihood depends on should have the same right, regardless of what that means for the balance of power.

3 Likes

Transfers count against the 25 scholarship limit that each school has each season and you can’t go above 85 on a roster.

You bring up a good point in regards to this rule in that if a school loses their coach and 15-30 players leave, that could severely hamper the football team going forward if they are still restricted to 25 scholarships per season.

1 Like

They would need to tweak some other rules if they voted for this. As you pointed out about a possible max exodus, one change would be anyone transferring out opens a scholarship slot for that current recruiting cycle. It would still need to count against the limit of the school a student is transferring to. Schools also need to be able to reserve the right to block specific schools so you can’t have people tampering.

My thoughts exactly. chances of G5 loosing xfers to P5 is pretty small.

I think the upper quarter of G5 schools benefit the most from a rule like this. They can get transfers from starters that want better competition after a year or two and they can get transfers from reserves that think they have a better chance to start by “moving down.”

The question though guys, are you for it if it benefits UH and against if it is bad for UH?

I don’t think of it this way at all. I’m all for it regardless of who benefits as long as it doesn’t put schools in a bind with scholarships and losing players in the middle of a season. Kids should be able to transfer just like coaches can. There are risks and consequences to transferring that must be weighed by the students. Starting over isn’t always the way to go. But as long as transfers are done timely and in a way that doesn’t unfairly impact schools’ scholarship pools, it sounds like a winner to me.

3 Likes

I honestly don’t think there will be much impact on football.

Basketball is where this could get crazy. There are already 800+ (And growing) transfers every year with restrictions; I imagine that number would only increase with no restrictions. I look at Whitting did prior to last year with the baseball team (23 players left the program) and could see a basketball coach doing something similar. Don’t like your current roster, tell them to leave and bring in new guys. Sampson may have taken advantage of this last year at the center position by moving guys like Meyer and Nkali out.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/905520137146703872

There goes the depth chart.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/905818905599504384
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/905819227982090240
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/905819561873813505
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/905820057191710721

The Presidents understand that its only fair that the kids have the same mobility as the coaches.

The most significant change that could be considered this year would eliminate the ability of coaches and schools to restrict aid to student-athletes after transferring. Currently, Division I college athletes who wish to transfer to another school must first receive permission from their current school to discuss transfer opportunities with other schools. If the school denies permission, the student-athlete can’t receive athletics aid for the first year after transferring.

The working group is still finalizing specifics, but it plans to ask the Council to introduce legislation that would establish a notification model, allowing a student to notify a school that he or she will transfer. The student could then pursue transfer opportunities and accept scholarships at other schools.

Additionally, once notification is given, the current school would have the option of not renewing athletics aid, permitting the school to offer that scholarship when recruiting a student-athlete for the next year.

https://twitter.com/YahooDrSaturday/status/915673433018703872

1 Like