Spirit of Houston and Green Brigade: Deep in The Heart of Texas

This would have been last Saturday’s halftime show in pre-COVID times…

4 Likes

Always enjoyed the Spirit of Houston at Rice Stadium & the Dome growing up in the 60’s as a Coog fan from Brazoria County. (Yes, Bo Burris was a local favorite) This pic from last Fall.

2 Likes

Not sure if I’m alone on this, but I’ve never been a fan of the song. I’d prefer the Spirit of Houston leave that one to our orange brethren on the Colorado.

1 Like

Any of you older Coogs remember these extravaganzas? As a teen I attended 2 UH Band Days in the mid 60’s. Guest Celebrity directors were Skitch Henderson one year & Doc Severinsen the next year.

4 Likes

I remember them well, one each year when all the local HS bands from the Region would come in…
Guessing Dr. Moffett was behind this !!!
:+1::smiley:

1 Like

I definitely remember Band Days. It was why so many local HS band members wanted to come to UH and play under Bill Moffit. The UH bands in those days were so much fun to watch.

2 Likes

I would have gone to UH except for the fact that I had a hot :heart: girlfriend who attended Texas Womans University in east Denton.
She became a wife & then an ex wife.:roll_eyes:
Some of us wish UNT’s Green Brigade were less of a concert band, but more of a college marching band like the Spirit of Houston. I like to see a band run out on the field a la Big 10 marching bands.
:heart:I will always have a warm spot in my heart with my UH & Coogs athletics experience as a teen.

3 Likes