Sure doesn't feel like 5-1

Certainly happy that we are 5-1 and leading our division, but last night’s game was downright painful to watch at times. We just seem to be undisciplined - false starts, missed tackles, defense allowing so many 3rd down conversions. And what’s with the offence lately? They really sputtered at times. Sure hope we can finally put a complete game together against Navy and come home against USF 6-1!

6 Likes

The offense hasn’t looked great for most of last two games and we played the two teams that haven’t won a conference game yet. So it is harder to get extra excited.
There are things to like other than our record. We are improving in the secondary, though that BS targeting call against Spreewell will have him miss first half against Navy. Our DC is dialing up less vanilla pressure schemes now, and that is money.
If the offense could be a bit more efficient or constantly good we could be looking at a great second half run.
The next two games will tell us a lot.

4 Likes

We are really in the driver’s seat if we can beat Navy and win the rest of our home conference games. Memphis is out of the championship game with 3 losses. But yes this doesn’t feel like a championship team except that we are playing better than the teams we are playing.

6 Likes

The only reason it doesn’t seem like 5-1 to me is the constant complaining from people on this site. The game was like 42-6 until we took our foot off the gas and put in our backups (who promptly game up 14).

I’m starting to believe UH has the worst fan base in the country.

30 Likes

Rice 1-6
Arizona 3-4
TSU 1-5
Tulsa 1-5
ECU 2-4

Our wins are against teams with a combined 8-24 record. The only team with a winning record we’ve played scored 63 points against us.

It doesn’t make you a bad fan to realize our 5-1 record isn’t worth getting excited over… yet.

20 Likes

I think Kendal is the victim of his own early success here. It seems like folks on this site now legitimately expect us to hang 50 on everybody, every week.

It just doesn’t work like that, especially since Major likes to get the backups some reps when the game is in hand.

Is it mildly concerning that the offense has seemed to struggle at times against dreg opponents like Tulsa and ECU? Sure.

But I just don’t see a potential loss on our schedule until we play Memphis.

And if it works out like that, we’ll be 10-1 and have the West clinched by then.

1 Like

The defense has me feeling much better, but our offense has developed some inconsistency that’s worrisome. Penalties and drops are big factors, and these seem fixable; however, they haven’t been fixed.

We don’t need to score TDs every single possession, as much as I’d like that. We do need to put a couple of first downs together on those non-scoring drives.

This is a good team that hasn’t quite put it all together yet. We don’t have any opponents who are looking forward to playing us, I bet.

4 Likes

It has more to do with the potential and expection we have for this team. I don’t think pointing out that the team was indisciplined , giving up over 90 yards in penalties makes one a bad fan.

2 Likes

i think we are dismissing the defensive capability of the last opponents .
we scored more points on tulsa by far than any other team…
texas 28, usf 25, uh 41 and we took the foot off the pedal in the 4th
VS ECU only temple scored more points than us.
also ECU beat north carolina …
usf scores 20, and they beat old dominion who beat va tech.

3 Likes

The Vegas over-under for this team was 7.5 wins. I think the fans have unrealistic expectations. Combine those unrealistic expectations with constant complaints and the lack of passion to show up for games, and you have a pretty bad combination.

If we are 6-1 and hosting an undefeated USF on the 27th, I sincerely hope the “fans” finally actually show up at the game and stay for the duration. Otherwise, the “fans” only have themselves to blame if UH loses.

7 Likes

CAN WE STOP!!! we were just up 41-6 in a game and you guys still want to not be happy bout it

CougarNation is its own worst enemy…we get it we arent on bama’s level, but we are still good enough to have a special season

• do you know what will help a team that might need a little help to win a game or 2…A large soldout packed arena that’s intimidating to play in…
  • we lack some talent in some areas, do you know what could entice talent to come here, A large soldout packed arena that looks great when they come visit

we are the core of the fanbase, and we are busy spreading negative energy, why would the casual be interested if the core is saying we are not very good despite a great record and blowing teams out… our attendance is projected to decrease despite being favored to finish 10-2

it’s okay to hope for improvement in areas, but some of ya’ll just take it too far and bring the whole place down

this is ucfs 2013 season, they finished top 10, and it was a magical season for them…
39-36 vs 2-10 temple
23-20 vs 2-10 usf
17-13 vs 5-7 smu
24-17 vs 3-9 memphis

ucf sold out all their latter season games and was hyped through it all…if that was here, we’d have been complaining the whole was through on 25k attendance

LETS ENJOY THE SEASON!!! as long as the W’s keep coming lets enjoy the ride however it forms
we’ve never gone undefeated, while beating everyone by 50… not sure why that became the standard for us to be a happy fanbase

27 Likes

My wife asked me halfway through the 3rd qtr why I was still watching it. I pointed out that I was reclining with my feet propped up about 15 ft from the tv. My typical posture during a game is pacing about 3 feet from the screen.

We have things to work on no doubt. But that game was pretty easy to watch like TSU and AZ. Unlike Tulsa, Rice and Tech.

13 Likes

I am happy with 5-1. There is a room for improvement.

Right now the big area for improvement is our vertical passing game. I love D-King but he missed some open recievers. If he can spread the field a little more we will be very tough to stop.

Last night was probably our first game where we played a complete game.

Navy is always tough for us because the style matchup causes us problems. Go Coogs beat Navy.

2 Likes

The people who are not happy with 5-1 will poke holes in any victory at this point.

If win at Navy, it’s not a good Navy team
If win vs. USF, look at their schedule. They were living a lie.
Temple is a .500 team
Blah blah blah
They are waiting to pounce and might actually prefer they lose rather than win.

Ya Woo Cougar Football! UH has a chance to be 3 games ahead of Navy and Memphis if they can win next weekend. I never expected that. Win ugly. I don’t care. Just win.

14 Likes

Just win baby!!!

5 Likes

I understand we have fans that like to “keep it real” but to even start this thread is ridiculous. Time for some of you to put on your big boy pants and be happy for the team.

Oh yeah Wa Hoo Cougar Football!

2 Likes

On offense the penalties the last two games have broken the rhythm a bit and “limited” the team to (gasp) less than 45 points. I have been pleasantly surprised with the running game. The Two Car® Garage is a force to be reckoned with. I think the penalties can be cleaned up. If the Coogs play error free offense, they can hang 50 on anybody left on the schedule.

On defense the pass rush is improving and the turnovers the past two games have mostly come as a result of that pressure. This team needs to force turnovers because they aren’t talented enough to shut people down entirely. The run defense has looked pretty good and most of the “breakdowns” in coverage have come after missed tackles in the backfield. Tackling has to improve.

2 Likes

Fans should be happy with wins. We have more wins that people complain about than wins people are happy about. I’m not sure if that is entitlement or expectations but this Coog is happy to be 5-1

2 Likes

We made mistakes but your list makes it look like you didn’t even watch the game. ECU punted 7 times and we had 1 false start and maybe 1 missed tackle. We did have a couple of holds, offensive pass interference, illegal touching (receiver out of bounds), ineligible receiver downfield. So it was messy but you just tossed out a bunch of general stuff that didn’t happen.

Vegas telling is how many wins we should get???.. When did Vegas become God???

1 Like