TD Club UIL Player of The Year Dinner

Well, we pulled it off last night. Smaller crowd, 5 people per table. Yet we did it
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR FINALISTS

Aaron Brown, North Shore
Terrence Cooks, Shadow Creek
Reco Griffin, Stratford
Daniel Grobe, Tomball Memorial
Christian Jackson, Marshall
Dylan Hazen, College Park
Kele Linton, Pearland
Bryce McMorris, Bridgeland
Thatcher Milton, Cy-Fair
Tyler Onyedim, Foster
Frank Osagiede, Ridge Point
Albert Regis, La Porte

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR FINALISTS
Shadrach Banks, North Shore
Dematrius Davis, North Shore
Kyron Drones, Shadow Creek
Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor
Dylan Goffney, Bridgeland
Cody Jackson, Foster
L.J. Johnson, Cy-Fair
Julius Loughridge, Mayde Creek
Joseph Manjack, Tomball Memorial
Jalen Milroe, Tompkins
Kendric Rhymes, Heights
John Paul Richardson, Ridge Point

COACH OF THE YEAR FINALISTS

Mike Allison, Dawson
Stephen Dixon, Heights
Kevin Hall, Manvel
Zach Head, Clear Falls
Gary Joseph, Katy
Todd McVey, Tompkins
Jeff Miller, Cy-Fair
Trent Miller, Spring
Sam Parker, Tomball Memorial
Jerry Prieto, Crosby
David Raffield, Bridgeland
James Williams, Marshall

Winners:

Gary Joseph - Katy

Damatrius Davis - North Shore (Auburn)

Bryce McMorris - Bridgeland (SMU)

10 Likes

Congrats!! I know it couldn’t have been easy to organize that size even given the circumstances, but glad to hear it still happened.

Obviously Gary Joseph deserved his award since none of the players on that list played for him. I’m sure the other winners deserved their awards as well.

2 Likes

Any U of H commitments on the lists? I should know this but don’t.

1 Like

Nope. Only 1 UT.

Like last year, Aggies got the best players

Before the season started Katy was hit with a bombshell when their 4th year qb was kicked off the team and star RB opted out of the season as an early graduate to USC.
Their sophomore qb played like he wasn’t ready for 3/4 of the season before it all came together.

By the end of the playoffs and seeing what a loaded field the semis were in the D1 bracket I believe the two best teams in the state were Westlake and Katy.

Tremendous program and culture much like we have in Sampson with our basketball program.

5 Likes

And are excellent recruiters I hear.

1 Like

Larry don’t be THAT guy. Absolute nonsense!

And I would know better than anyone on this board.

Now great programs recruit themselves. When I have friends living in the nation’s upper north or far west talking about the Katy program there will be interest. Now there are a few districts in the state who help certain schools keep their athletes and KATYISD is on the opposite end of that spectrum.

3 Likes

Don’t be blind Russell.

They do. All the good programs do. North Shore get GP & Furr kids. Elkins provided houses for baseball player families during their heyday

Do kids try to move in? Sure. Just don’t try and say they are lily white & red.

1 Like

With all due respect Chris I would expect better from you.
Those comments insinuate they are cheating to succeed when in reality they are the program that does it the right way with discipline on the field and a culture outside.

See I am not blind. I know the program, the coach, ADs for the district and coaches around the district.

The school has not moved anyone into the boundaries.

The best part of their championship team was their developed OL.
Pretty sad one cannot make a complimentary comment and congratulations for Gary Joseph without jealous comments to follow. There are other schools with much more talent than Katy who do bend the rules to keep their edge

2 Likes

You are right. Saw it first hand when mine played at Pearland. We had kids in our neighborhood who played for Manvel. Manvel has 6,000 residents. All of their talent came from Pearland and Shadow Creek. Kids move to areas to play and coaches find ways to bring them in, even Katy…parents talk.

2 Likes

You are right. Saw it first hand when mine played at Pearland. We had kids in our neighborhood who played for Manvel. Manvel has 6,000 residents. All of their talent came from Pearland and Shadow Creek. Kids move to areas to play and coaches find ways to bring them in, even Katy…parents talk.
[/quote]

Winning attracts winners!

Very true

King to Manvel is an interesting story

Yes, very.

There are some clear infractions with in some programs and it usually comes from teams who are always loaded with talent. That is not usually Katy.

KatyISD has as tough a checks and balance system as any in the state. I know because I coached in the district. One thing tough to really have any control over is boosters so I will give that the programs who have a lot of support may receive some favors.
Nearly all of the Katy players have grown up in the program which is a large part of their successes. Some transfers but not in abundance.
The word recruiting is nonsense

My daughter and her family just moved into the heart of Katy from a house they have only been in for 3 years. My son-in-law wanted my grandson to go to Katy HS instead of Paetow. He will be in the 6th grade next year and no Katy coach even knows he exists. So yes, you could say he was recruited by Katy, but it was Katy’s reputation, not their coaches.

2 Likes