The Bag Man: Sleepers, Erections, Playoff Expansion?

Mentions the Coogs after the first question, but the overall Q&A is interesting.

https://cfbcountry.com/2017/08/17/the-bag-man-sleepers-erections-playoff-expansion/

1 Like

That is a good read, but honestly… I would be surprised if Ed Oliver is lined up across from a UConn OT for 4 quarters. Ed plays DT normally, and we don’t play UConn unless they make it to the AACCG, which is highly unlikely.

1 Like

And we didn’t play Navy in the season finale

I thought the same thing after reading that. If we’re playing UCONN in the Championship game, something went really wrong in the East this year.

I had to re-read that part a few times as I thought he was saying the same thing, but I think he meant that we’re playing Navy in the season finale this year, not that we lost to them last year in the season finale.

I thought he was just using them as an example of a random team that will not deal with them, odd he didn’t pick someone on the schedule, but I think it was more meant to be “Take a UCONN, for example, their linemen can’t match up against him.”

2 Likes

Maybe there have been some edits since yall read it?

“It’s honestly painful to imagine the poor left guard at UConn who’s going to have to block Oliver for four quarters this year.”

As for this part: “Two weeks later they travel to conference favorite USF, then host Navy, who stunned the Cougars last season, in the season finale.”

He means, Navy (the team that stunned the Cougars last season), we host in the season finale.

So he likes U of H for a few paragraphs then the truth comes out.

“I’m not sure a 12-0 record would even be enough to get Houston in the playoff picture…but I like the weapons Applewhite has at his disposal in year one at the helm”

Then it is the same message over and over G5 Teams are not worthy of making the CFP. He calls our opponents cupcakes. For a change it would interesting to read the following:
Why is U of H not in a P5 already and the real reasons behind it? Are P5 cowards for not inviting U of H? That is what I would like to read. The true reality is that G5 Teams are screwed until something major happens.

Erections??? lol :blush:

It really doesn’t help when the top contenders for the AAC title have no top 25 games OOC to play.
Memphis: ULM, UCLA, SIU, @Gast
Navy: @FAU, AFA, @ND, Army
USF: @SJSU, STON, ILL, UMass
Temple: @ND, Nova, UMass, @Army
Tulsa: @OKST, ULL, Toledo, UNM

Those teams need to beat UCLA, AFA, ILL and win 2 out of 3 against ND and OKST, to give our conference any kind of momentum toward multiple top 25 teams. Short of 3 UH opponents being ranked in the top 25, there is no chance a 12-0 UH goes from unranked to top 4. USF has the best chance of all but their OOC schedule looks so bad, they would need at least two conference opponents to join them in the top 25 to have a shot at the top 4.

Frankly the top G5 strongest programs need to do a much better job of scheduling each other which would increase the chances of the best G5 team making it. As long as 3/4ths of their OOC schedules continues to be the bottom half of G5 teams and FCS teams, the respect won’t be earned by a larger audience.

2 Likes

I agree, but the problem is that the current system doesn’t reward G5 teams for playing tougher schedules. Western Michigan played a schedule that was worse than USF’s schedule this year and ended up in the NY6 bowl because of it. We played a brutal schedule, got beat up playing it, couldn’t even win the conference, and ended up playing a pre-Christmas bowl game after our coach bolted.

Sure, if we go undefeated last year, we may end up in the playoff, but we also may have been left as the first team out and playing in the Cotton Bowl…sort of like what happened to Penn State last year.

If you’re a G5, why shoot for the moon? I mean, as fans, we want them to, but in reality, there’s no point in playing tougher schedules when you have a better chance of making that NY6 bowl by trying to go undefeated against a weak schedule.

You aquiesce to defeat too easily. Pei Mei would have your eye. :yum:

:joy:

Ha, nah, I’d take the way the Coogs try to do things over taking the easy way out. However, if Aresco is really serious about P6, he needs to get on the schools that aren’t willing to schedule up and truly put the AAC out in front of the other non-P5 conferences. That way, a 9-3 AAC champ, as Temple was last year, can have a legitimate shot of being picked over a 12-0 MAC Champ. That’ll never happen when that same Temple team schedules Army, Stony Brook, Charlotte, and Penn State (and loses 2 of those games).

I’d also look at removing the rule stating that a team has to be a champion to be considered for the auto-bid. The P5 conferences don’t have that rule, why should the G5 schools.

1 Like

You want AAC Teams to schedule better opponents I am all for it. Now you get a G5 Team to dominate topTeams what happens next? They get blacklisted and CAN’T schedule top ten/20 Teams.
You want to earn respect? Do you think for a second that OU would have played U of H after the spanking that they got? They admitted afterward that it was a mistake to have scheduled us. You can’t have it both ways. This is why the CFP is an excuse to make the public think we do not belong EVEN IF we finish 12 or 13-0. The only way for the CFP to earn any respect is for it to be expanded to 16 Teams with top G5 programs. It can be done. The excuse of exams and injuries is all about how you manage your squad. P5 Teams use 2nd/3rd string against so called cupcakes(don’t like the term) That is why they scheduled at least one or two games /year. The CFP was created by the cartel. It has nothing to do about sports or real competition but everything about keeping the money.

I agree to a point. We may not be able to schedule top P5 regularly, but teams should be able to schedule mid-P5 teams which is what we need from our AAC brethren.

The playoff is a pipe dream right now for G5 teams. It is a cartel and it sucks, but it isn’t changing for the time being. However, the NY6 bowl berth should be the goal and the rest of the AAC needs to be on board to ensure that the conference has the best shot of attaining that every year.

1 Like